I will be travelling to Japan in October, and will be staying at a Ryokan 20 minutes outside of Kyoto. I will only be there for two nights before I move on. I have never been to Kyoto, but I read that it can be difficult to reach the historical and traditional sights because they are spread-out in the modern city, and many of the signs are in Japanese (which I don’t’ currently speak, but I am trying to learn the basics). I will be relying specifically on public transportation. I will also need to be back at the Ryocan for dinner. Could you please advise of specific areas in Kyoto that I could easily take public transportation to, spend a few hours visiting historical and traditional sights, and have some lunch? Also, what things should I concentrate on since I am only there for two days?
Thank you in advance for your suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Japan itinerary advice
- 2 Trip Report : China
- 3 Japan GTG, early April
- 4 Other than Kyoto?
- 5 Need help with Sri Lanka itinerary and hotels
- 6 Staying in Chaoyang, XiCheng or Dongsheng - Beijing
- 7 Goodbye, Carol Simpson
- 8 Confusion with LTE data with a Verizon iPhone 6 Plus
- 9 Hotels near Takefu Train Station
- 10 Honest opinion needed about Thailand
- 11 Quickie Kathmandu visit worthwhile?
- 12 Vietnam for 14 days help to find travel company
- 13 Japan: 34 days becomes 12 (or 17)
- 14 Narita Airport to Shinjuku
- 15 Beijing tours
- 16 Planning First Family Trip to Japan - Advice Needed!
- 17 Advice needed from Japan train pros
- 18 Pandaw-up the Chindwin TR
- 19 HK to Beijing for 3 weeks- mid March to early April- itinerary help please!
- 20 A great trip in India
- 21 Googling to going...to Gujarat!
- 22 Hong Kong and Angkor Wat
- 23 A Netflix series for those who enjoy Tokyo
- 24 Cherry Blossom season Mount Fuji area
- 25 Tokyo - Kamakura - Yokohama