My husband and I will be staying in Kyoto for 7 nights in early October. This is part of our 3-week trip to Japan (which I've already posted and for which I've had some very helpful suggestions - thank you!) It's been tricky to find a hotel in our price range, as many of the recommendations were already booked. I've narrowed it down to 3 that do have availability, and would like to get your feedback.
Priorities for us are
1) Quiet - hubby is a very light sleeper and even w/ earplugs is easily bothered by traffic noise, hotel noise, etc., even sounds that I sometimes don't hear at all.
2) Location - I'm in the very early planning stages, so I don't yet totally understand the transportation options in Kyoto with all the different buses, trains, subway... (that part will come later), but I do know that we'd like to minimize the time spent getting to attractions each day. Proximity to major sights, or at least an easy/quick/straightforward way to get there, is important. In other countries we've stayed places where we can walk right out the door and be in the midst of things, and also in quieter neighborhoods w/ more character, but still with some restaurants and a grocery store around, and within a quick bus/subway ride from sights...we've enjoyed both. Many posts cite proximity to shopping...it's not critical that I be near big department stores, but I do plan to enjoy smaller shops and local handicrafts, though it's not necessary that they be right outside my door. We'll be taking some trips - Nara, Kinkaju, Fushimi-Inari Taisha, etc., so if those all involve the main Kyoto Station then we don't want to be too far from there, but I don't think we'd enjoy staying near the station.
* Citadines Karasuma-Gojo - (Studio Twin w/ sofa and 2 beds) - at the Gojo subway station, sounds like there are buses nearby, as well as a grocery store, and that it's halfway b/t the Kawaramchi area and the Kyoto Station. But several reviews noted noise issues.
* Kyoto Royal Hotel - (Superior Twin) - on Kawaramachi Street, can walk to Nishiki Mkt and Gion areas, sounds like a great location for sightseeing, and close to both buses and subway (1 min walk from Shiyakusho-mae subway stop). Again, several reviews noted noise issues.
* Royal Park Hotel (Standard Twin) - Along Sanjo-dori and near the river, can walk to the Gion area, close to subway and bus, but a 15-min walk to the nearest North/South subway line. Price is higher than the other two, but not out of our budget, though I had to do a special request (which I'm not sure will work) for 2 beds, which we really prefer...so there's always the chance we could end up w/ a double for that same rate.
We also found availability at the Toyoko Inn - Shijo-Karasuma, but for the same price as the first two, the room is nearly half the size, and the others all received better reviews. We tried the Kyoto Garden Hotel, Hyatt, Dormy, Comfort Inn, and Mitsui Garden, and they were either booked or not in our price range. I'd love your thoughts on which of the above would offer the most convenient stay while also being quiet enough for a restful night's sleep. Thanks in advance!
Kyoto - Citadines, Kyoto Royal, or Royal Park? (Convenient + quiet?)
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 April in Bangkok, again!
- 2 Hong Kong in August - hotel question
- 3 Japan - spending money?
- 4 Truly a one day suit in Hong Kong?
- 5 Japan Itinerary and JR pass questions/China 72-hour Visafree question
- 6 Haneda to Narita Layover : Need advice
- 7 Help with Malaysia itinerary
- 8 Headed to Thailand this June/July--Help!!
- 9 North India trip report with Castle and King tour company
- 10 Karen and Tom - a romantic Vietnam getaway: ENGAGED!!!
- 11 Please help me plan 3.5 weeks in South Korea
- 12 7 days in Nepal, any suggestions?
- 13 21 days thailand and vietnam
- 14 Finally Going To Bali! Please Help With Flight and Alam Shanti Question
- 15 Good golf in Indonesia?
- 16 Getting down to details and welcome advice: Tokyo
- 17 1st Trip to Bali
- 18 Phuket or Koh Samui
- 19 Japan night bus
- 20 Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam - Recommendations on order of Trip!
- 21 Help..Want to hire a guide/driver for Golden Triangle
- 22 Hire Car In Jaipur
- 23 Can you bargain tour price?
- 24 3 1/2 week trip to Japan advise please!
- 25 4 week solo trip through Myanmar/ Burma