My husband and I will be staying in Kyoto for 7 nights in early October. This is part of our 3-week trip to Japan (which I've already posted and for which I've had some very helpful suggestions - thank you!) It's been tricky to find a hotel in our price range, as many of the recommendations were already booked. I've narrowed it down to 3 that do have availability, and would like to get your feedback.
Priorities for us are
1) Quiet - hubby is a very light sleeper and even w/ earplugs is easily bothered by traffic noise, hotel noise, etc., even sounds that I sometimes don't hear at all.
2) Location - I'm in the very early planning stages, so I don't yet totally understand the transportation options in Kyoto with all the different buses, trains, subway... (that part will come later), but I do know that we'd like to minimize the time spent getting to attractions each day. Proximity to major sights, or at least an easy/quick/straightforward way to get there, is important. In other countries we've stayed places where we can walk right out the door and be in the midst of things, and also in quieter neighborhoods w/ more character, but still with some restaurants and a grocery store around, and within a quick bus/subway ride from sights...we've enjoyed both. Many posts cite proximity to shopping...it's not critical that I be near big department stores, but I do plan to enjoy smaller shops and local handicrafts, though it's not necessary that they be right outside my door. We'll be taking some trips - Nara, Kinkaju, Fushimi-Inari Taisha, etc., so if those all involve the main Kyoto Station then we don't want to be too far from there, but I don't think we'd enjoy staying near the station.
* Citadines Karasuma-Gojo - (Studio Twin w/ sofa and 2 beds) - at the Gojo subway station, sounds like there are buses nearby, as well as a grocery store, and that it's halfway b/t the Kawaramchi area and the Kyoto Station. But several reviews noted noise issues.
* Kyoto Royal Hotel - (Superior Twin) - on Kawaramachi Street, can walk to Nishiki Mkt and Gion areas, sounds like a great location for sightseeing, and close to both buses and subway (1 min walk from Shiyakusho-mae subway stop). Again, several reviews noted noise issues.
* Royal Park Hotel (Standard Twin) - Along Sanjo-dori and near the river, can walk to the Gion area, close to subway and bus, but a 15-min walk to the nearest North/South subway line. Price is higher than the other two, but not out of our budget, though I had to do a special request (which I'm not sure will work) for 2 beds, which we really prefer...so there's always the chance we could end up w/ a double for that same rate.
We also found availability at the Toyoko Inn - Shijo-Karasuma, but for the same price as the first two, the room is nearly half the size, and the others all received better reviews. We tried the Kyoto Garden Hotel, Hyatt, Dormy, Comfort Inn, and Mitsui Garden, and they were either booked or not in our price range. I'd love your thoughts on which of the above would offer the most convenient stay while also being quiet enough for a restful night's sleep. Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Off the Beaten Path Near Kanazawa?
- 2 Great Wall in a wheelchair
- 3 Itinerary for 12 days in Burma- help decide
- 4 Krabi? Phuket? Phi Phi?
- 5 Beaches closest to Rajasthan
- 6 Cambodia & Vietnam- 2 Weeks with Kids
- 7 Footing on Druk Trek in Bhutan?
- 8 15 Days in Japan, Need Help With Last Two
- 9 Vietnam, Laos, Siem Reap, Chiang Rai - ? the right # days/order of travel??
- 10 Return of tourism to Nepal
- 11 Myanmar- Popular Sights and even a few hospitals!
- 12 Yangon Birthday Dinner
- 13 Best beaches in Sri Lanka
- 14 Sweltering, steamy, sizzingly southern India--It was hot!
- 15 4 wonderful solo weeks in South Korea
- 16 Eating in India
- 17 Trekking in India
- 18 What does a Japan Rail Pass really do?
- 19 Hong Kong Layover at Night
- 20 Kavey April 2016 Japan Itinerary Planning
- 21 Sri Lanka plan
- 22 Vietnam - September 2015
- 23 A tour operator overwhelmingly mentioned on another site
- 24 Beijing tours -- worth it?
- 25 Private guide and driver for India
Kyoto - Citadines, Kyoto Royal, or Royal Park? (Convenient + quiet?)