Hello Fodor's Friends!
Once again I'm missing the grand Fodor's GTG in Boston. While I hope to make it to one someday, my reason for missing it this year is valid; I'll be in Cambodia for the first 2 weeks of October.
Some of you may remember when my mother and I visited in 2007 and spent some time with the Ponheary Ly Foundation while there; http://www.fodors.com/community/asia/kristina-and-krismoms-trip-to-thailand-and-cambodia.cfm
Now we're returning, just in time for the beginning of the school year to spend about 10 days in Siem Reap with the foundation. We're not sure what we'll be doing while there beyond the first few days (which will include a visit to our adopted school in Koh Ker), but my best guess is we'll do anything Ponheary and Lori ask us to do! We'll also be staying at the Ly family's Seven Candles Guesthouse, which should be very different from when David and I stayed there in 2002.
This trip won't be all work however. Our time there will fall during the Buddhist Festival of Pchum Ben which should be interesting, and we hope to visit Battambang, Kauphong Khlang and Phonom Kulen.
Even though I've visited the Angkor temples twice before, I'd like to go again, this time with an emphasis on taking photos because I now have a better camera!
We'll also probably spend the last night of our trip in Phnom Penh on our way home. If anyone has a favorite hotel there, let me know as I still haven't booked that night.
Before we leave, we're fundraising to send the first Koh Ker girls graduating the 6th grade to secondary school. The school is 25 miles from their village and they will be living in a house the foundation has set up just for them. Please check out our fundraising page; http://www.razoo.com/story/Koh-Ker-And-Srayang-Dormitory
Some of our Fodor's friends have already donated and I thank you for that!
This is going to be very different from the types of trips I usually take but I'm really looking forward to it. I'll do my best to post some updates here while we are there. Of course, after we return I will do a full trip report both here and on my blog with photos.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 14 days Japan itinerary. First timers.
- 2 Can buy a JR Pass in Japan
- 3 Japan Rail Pass
- 4 First Time to Japan..Itin Advice Needed
- 5 south east asia 3 weeks in june
- 6 Japan - costs
- 7 3 week SE Asia itinerary
- 8 Last Minute Bali Honeymoon
- 9 Japan Cherry Blossom 2018
- 10 Sri Lanka May
- 11 20 days Itinerary Help!
- 12 Japan - 2 itineraries (7days)
- 13 Japan rough itinerary
- 14 Laos planning.
- 15 Hokkaido and northern Honshu itinerary advice
- 16 Japan for Foodies
- 17 Japan's Kyushu: Takachiho Gorge - Travel Report
- 18 Kamogawa Odori/Aoi Matsuri
- 19 One night in Osaka
- 20 David's Abbreviated Trip Report-Japan, Part 2-Sakura 2017
- 21 Taipei Art Scene - Travel Report
- 22 Advice itinerary trip Thailand/Laos in July
- 23 Singapore weather in August/September
- 24 Across Uzbekistan with MIR
- 25 First time going abroad
Kristina & KrisMom go back to Cambodia 2010
Hello Fodor's Friends!