FYI anyone thinking of flying Korean Air or Asiana Airlines, it was reported today that the FAA has warned South Korea that it is considering downgrading its airlines to a "Category 2" because of concerns regarding safety standards. Findings by the FAA revealed concerns about both airlines regarding unskilled technical staff, problems with flight operation rules, and screening of pilots. Downgrading to a Category 2 would mean that Korean Air and Asiana could still fly into the U.S. but would be barred from expanding service. A recent bid by South Korea to expand service to Britain was turned down because of FAA findings. South Korea has until next week to make changes which address the FAA concerns, but it was not expected to be able to do so by that time, which would then result in the downgrade.
Korean Air/Asiana Airlines - FAA Warning
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Nepal
- 2 hotels in Singapore-1st time there
- 3 two free days in Beijing
- 4 China in 12 Days
- 5 Top ten historical monuments in India - what is yours?
- 6 Japan - spending money?
- 7 April in Bangkok, again!
- 8 Hong Kong in August - hotel question
- 9 Travel agencies in India e.g. Legends and Palaces, Castle and King
- 10 1st Trip to Bali
- 11 Finally Going To Bali! Please Help With Flight and Alam Shanti Question
- 12 Karen and Tom - a romantic Vietnam getaway: ENGAGED!!!
- 13 Headed to Thailand this June/July--Help!!
- 14 7 days in Nepal, any suggestions?
- 15 Your thoughts on Nepal and how long to visit
- 16 water villages, shanghai
- 17 language problem in japan
- 18 Japan Itinerary and JR pass questions/China 72-hour Visafree question
- 19 Help with Malaysia itinerary
- 20 Private Guide in Chiang Mai
- 21 last minute plan to visit Sapa, Vietnam -- help
- 22 Truly a one day suit in Hong Kong?
- 23 Haneda to Narita Layover : Need advice
- 24 North India trip report with Castle and King tour company
- 25 Please help me plan 3.5 weeks in South Korea