FYI anyone thinking of flying Korean Air or Asiana Airlines, it was reported today that the FAA has warned South Korea that it is considering downgrading its airlines to a "Category 2" because of concerns regarding safety standards. Findings by the FAA revealed concerns about both airlines regarding unskilled technical staff, problems with flight operation rules, and screening of pilots. Downgrading to a Category 2 would mean that Korean Air and Asiana could still fly into the U.S. but would be barred from expanding service. A recent bid by South Korea to expand service to Britain was turned down because of FAA findings. South Korea has until next week to make changes which address the FAA concerns, but it was not expected to be able to do so by that time, which would then result in the downgrade.
Korean Air/Asiana Airlines - FAA Warning
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 First time visiting Japan. Please help
- 2 First Time Visit to Japan in November 2015 - Itinerary Review
- 3 There and back again: a conflicted (and reimagined) India Trip Report
- 4 India: A dream trip meets reality for me
- 5 Cost differences between spring and autumn visits to Japan?
- 6 Osaka shopping
- 7 Luggage Transfer From Hotels
- 8 Penang
- 9 A redhead in Vietnam and Cambodia
- 10 Some Final Thoughts on a Trip to SE Asia
- 11 A week in April; Kyoto and Tokyo?
- 12 Air Asia All You Can Fly
- 13 China's Direct Visa - Yet Another Vexation!
- 14 Madly Dashing to Bali - Hotel Report
- 15 Sri Lanka February 15'
- 16 Bali Honeymoon. Got 3/4 places decided on, struggling on the last...HELP!
- 17 Restaurants and Things to do at night
- 18 Planning Japan Trip #2
- 19 Takayama ideas in April?
- 20 Christmas in Kerala? Birthday in Goa?
- 21 Indonesia Itinerary help
- 22 Ideas for an off beaten path trip in Burma
- 23 Update on recent TR's on Mrauk U
- 24 4-1/2 days in Seoul
- 25 3 Weeks in Japan - Please critique my itineary