FYI anyone thinking of flying Korean Air or Asiana Airlines, it was reported today that the FAA has warned South Korea that it is considering downgrading its airlines to a "Category 2" because of concerns regarding safety standards. Findings by the FAA revealed concerns about both airlines regarding unskilled technical staff, problems with flight operation rules, and screening of pilots. Downgrading to a Category 2 would mean that Korean Air and Asiana could still fly into the U.S. but would be barred from expanding service. A recent bid by South Korea to expand service to Britain was turned down because of FAA findings. South Korea has until next week to make changes which address the FAA concerns, but it was not expected to be able to do so by that time, which would then result in the downgrade.
Korean Air/Asiana Airlines - FAA Warning
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 How is FREEWHEELING?
- 2 Hire Car In Jaipur
- 3 Haneda to Narita Layover : Need advice
- 4 Can you bargain tour price?
- 5 3 1/2 week trip to Japan advise please!
- 6 4 week solo trip through Myanmar/ Burma
- 7 21 days thailand and vietnam
- 8 12 day split between Beijing and Shanghai
- 9 Help ! How bad is the rain in Bangkok early/mid September? Thanks
- 10 April in Bangkok, again!
- 11 Karen and Tom - a romantic Vietnam getaway: ENGAGED!!!
- 12 Getting down to details and welcome advice: Tokyo
- 13 Japan night bus
- 14 Recs for Tokyo hotels
- 15 Living in Singapore Questions
- 16 Thailand - Koh Samui vs Koh Tao
- 17 Hua Hin or another family friendly beach?
- 18 Bangkok, Luang Prabang, Luang Say, Chiang Rai, Singapore (but no Siem Reap)
- 19 Help..Want to hire a guide/driver for Golden Triangle
- 20 Please help me plan 3.5 weeks in South Korea
- 21 Problems at 12,000'
- 22 GOING TO SE ASIA , NEED HELP
- 23 Sixteen Day in South Korea
- 24 osaka to kobe frrom ship to ship
- 25 Spring trip to Tokyo and Kyoto -10 days