FYI anyone thinking of flying Korean Air or Asiana Airlines, it was reported today that the FAA has warned South Korea that it is considering downgrading its airlines to a "Category 2" because of concerns regarding safety standards. Findings by the FAA revealed concerns about both airlines regarding unskilled technical staff, problems with flight operation rules, and screening of pilots. Downgrading to a Category 2 would mean that Korean Air and Asiana could still fly into the U.S. but would be barred from expanding service. A recent bid by South Korea to expand service to Britain was turned down because of FAA findings. South Korea has until next week to make changes which address the FAA concerns, but it was not expected to be able to do so by that time, which would then result in the downgrade.
Korean Air/Asiana Airlines - FAA Warning
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Chiang Mai OR Luang Prabang
- 2 Vacay to Thailand end of December-January 2014
- 3 Honeymoon in december 2014
- 4 Travel during China national week?
- 5 Don't use World Expeditions
- 6 Food tours in HCMC/Saigon?
- 7 anyone been to minsk aircraft carrier, Shenzhen while staying in Kowloon
- 8 Trip report/blog - 10 days in Tokyo and Kyoto
- 9 flight details from Chicago area to BKK
- 10 Knockoff Designer bags in Vietnam?
- 11 Affordable accommodation in Yangon near Sule Pagoda
- 12 Bangkok - Side trip to Ayutthaya
- 13 3 days in Teheran
- 14 Destination Bangkok, again
- 15 Trip Report and Diary - Tokyo in 7 Days
- 16 Weekend Market and Or Tor Kor-Bangkok
- 17 Bangkok - Weekend train excursion to Kanchanaburi and/or Nam Tok
- 18 Luang Prabang to Chiang Mai -- HOW?
- 19 15 Days in Japan, Itinerary Help Please
- 20 Honeymoon in Nha Trang
- 21 Favorite travel apps?
- 22 4 wonderful solo weeks in South Korea
- 23 Selecting A Guide for Bhutan (Bridge To Bhutan)
- 24 Foreign currency
- 25 how to book a train from -DaNang to Hue, Vietnam