FYI anyone thinking of flying Korean Air or Asiana Airlines, it was reported today that the FAA has warned South Korea that it is considering downgrading its airlines to a "Category 2" because of concerns regarding safety standards. Findings by the FAA revealed concerns about both airlines regarding unskilled technical staff, problems with flight operation rules, and screening of pilots. Downgrading to a Category 2 would mean that Korean Air and Asiana could still fly into the U.S. but would be barred from expanding service. A recent bid by South Korea to expand service to Britain was turned down because of FAA findings. South Korea has until next week to make changes which address the FAA concerns, but it was not expected to be able to do so by that time, which would then result in the downgrade.
Korean Air/Asiana Airlines - FAA Warning
View all Asia activity »
- 1 Draft itinerary - appreciate some input
- 2 Sketches from Japan - Autumn 2013
- 3 New Year's Week in Tokyo- Advice Please!!
- 4 South East Asia
- 5 Just returned from an amazing trip to India!
- 6 Back from a Trip of a Lifetime! Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia!
- 7 Destinations near Hat Yai?
- 8 Bangkok & demonstrations (2013)
- 9 Anyone in Bangkok
- 10 Travel Insurance
- 11 Indian Visa: Experience with BLS International?
- 12 Andaman coast visit - is Phuket worth visiting?
- 13 Seoul, Korea Accommodation / Restaurants
- 14 Buy India Sim card there or here?
- 15 Craig and Jeane's Japan Photos are Up
- 16 First time trip to Japan - Fall 2013
- 17 Myanmar and Mt Popa
- 18 Craig and Jeane Visit Japan - 2013 Trip Report
- 19 1 week Philippines
- 20 Beijing - is the air quality THAT bad?
- 21 Japan: best time to go?
- 22 Magical India
- 23 Car hire in India -- Narendra Kumar and hiredriverindia.com
- 24 Resorts With Private Cabins Instead Of Hotel Rooms?
- 25 Varanasi lodging - to ghat or not to ghat etc etc - help!