I have visited Kolkata three times. The first being in 1965, then in 2002 and the latest in March 2012. Over this time, I have witnessed dramatic changes to the life of the city, and although it still generates a powerful, attractive -repulsive spell on my psyche, the overall impact is now more subdued. So whereas, in 1965, Kolkata was a major cultural shock in every respect, the cultural impact to the casual visitor is now much less. Don't get me wrong, it still generates a significant impact. It is after all a large teeming chaotic metropolis seething with humanity rising out of the dust and dirt, with glimpses here and there of its grand colonial heritage. I went with the idea of photographing the colour and activity of the people and have written an illustrated report at http://www.artphototravel.net/india/kolkata-revisted-india/ which includes highlights, images and a map.
Kolkata revisited, for the third time.
View all Asia activity »
- 1 Bangkok & demonstrations (2013)
- 2 Dread long flights USA to/from BKK
- 3 First time trip to Japan - Fall 2013
- 4 Interesting WSJ Article re: Japanese Aversions to Perfumes
- 5 introduce myself
- 6 independent travel in India
- 7 Malaysia and Thailand 2013 travelogues
- 8 Draft itinerary - appreciate some input
- 9 Any recommendations for drivers in Beijing?
- 10 Feng Pao Fireworks Festival in Yanshui, Tainan?
- 11 SINGAPORE OR CAMBODIA??? (April Honeymoon)
- 12 Fresh Hearts and Egg Tarts: Our Silver Jubilee in Hong Kong & Macau
- 13 Robinson store/Bangrak, Bangkok - has it reopened?
- 14 Ratings of kaiseki meals at ryokans in Japan?
- 15 Sketches from Japan - Autumn 2013
- 16 Magical India
- 17 geisha performance
- 18 Tibet and Nepal in 2 weeks?
- 19 Trip report China
- 20 Traveling on Makha Bucha in Thailand
- 21 Xian Crystal Mooncake
- 22 Shopping for hotels for Feb.
- 23 Seoul, Korea Accommodation / Restaurants
- 24 Car Parking at Uno Port
- 25 Myanmar and Mt Popa