I have visited Kolkata three times. The first being in 1965, then in 2002 and the latest in March 2012. Over this time, I have witnessed dramatic changes to the life of the city, and although it still generates a powerful, attractive -repulsive spell on my psyche, the overall impact is now more subdued. So whereas, in 1965, Kolkata was a major cultural shock in every respect, the cultural impact to the casual visitor is now much less. Don't get me wrong, it still generates a significant impact. It is after all a large teeming chaotic metropolis seething with humanity rising out of the dust and dirt, with glimpses here and there of its grand colonial heritage. I went with the idea of photographing the colour and activity of the people and have written an illustrated report at http://www.artphototravel.net/india/kolkata-revisted-india/ which includes highlights, images and a map.
Kolkata revisited, for the third time.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Hong Kong in June - Oh The Humidity!!
- 2 Scouting for early retirement locations
- 3 India Add-on
- 4 Knockoff Designer bags in Vietnam?
- 5 Destination Bangkok, again
- 6 Luang Prabang -- budget guesthouse?
- 7 A Few Osaka & Kyoto Questions Kudasai!
- 8 Travel during China national week?
- 9 Japan--Visiting Saihoji (Moss Temple)
- 10 Phuket
- 11 Feedback on India Tour specifics
- 12 Recommendations for a 2 week tour in ASIA (DEC. 2014)
- 13 Vietnam Itinerary - Please
- 14 Japan - Osaka - Things to see?
- 15 Best way to get from Jakarta to Balii
- 16 4 wonderful solo weeks in South Korea
- 17 Inle lake ... Budget hotel w/ AC?
- 18 anyone been to minsk aircraft carrier, Shenzhen while staying in Kowloon
- 19 India, What Can I Say!
- 20 Honeymoon in Nha Trang
- 21 Hong Kong for Chinese New Year 2015
- 22 South Chaweng beach Hotel Recommendations?
- 23 Trip Report: Java, Bali, Rinca, Borneo, Siem Reap
- 24 One night in Bangkok ... Btw 2 airports
- 25 What's the Best Area to Stay in Seoul for a First-Timer?