I have visited Kolkata three times. The first being in 1965, then in 2002 and the latest in March 2012. Over this time, I have witnessed dramatic changes to the life of the city, and although it still generates a powerful, attractive -repulsive spell on my psyche, the overall impact is now more subdued. So whereas, in 1965, Kolkata was a major cultural shock in every respect, the cultural impact to the casual visitor is now much less. Don't get me wrong, it still generates a significant impact. It is after all a large teeming chaotic metropolis seething with humanity rising out of the dust and dirt, with glimpses here and there of its grand colonial heritage. I went with the idea of photographing the colour and activity of the people and have written an illustrated report at http://www.artphototravel.net/india/kolkata-revisted-india/ which includes highlights, images and a map.
Kolkata revisited, for the third time.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Thailand,Cambodia,Vietnam Itinerary ***Open to any suggestions
- 2 anyone been to minsk aircraft carrier, Shenzhen while staying in Kowloon
- 3 Food tours in HCMC/Saigon?
- 4 4 wonderful solo weeks in South Korea
- 5 Honeymoon in december 2014
- 6 Tourist Visa for France/UK
- 7 Indonesian visa update
- 8 Popular Thai hi-so restaurants... Any suggestions?
- 9 Destination Bangkok, again
- 10 Weekend Market and Or Tor Kor-Bangkok
- 11 Kyushu Japan: Driver Needed For Amakusa
- 12 Vietnam October 2014
- 13 Distance from Tokyo to port of Yokohama
- 14 Interesting article about "Good News" being tweeted about Tibet
- 15 Shoes for 6 inches of water
- 16 Help us fill our blank itinerary: 1 week in China
- 17 Jeep Safari in Bandhavgarh National Park, India
- 18 India Wildlife Expedition Trip Report!
- 19 3 days in Teheran
- 20 Bhutan, Nepal or both (in about 3 weeks?)
- 21 £0 day visa exempt - 30 day extension
- 22 Myranmar VISA
- 23 new visa fees for Indonesia as of mid-July, 2014
- 24 slightly... paranoid parent
- 25 Takayama vs. Matsumoto