I have visited Kolkata three times. The first being in 1965, then in 2002 and the latest in March 2012. Over this time, I have witnessed dramatic changes to the life of the city, and although it still generates a powerful, attractive -repulsive spell on my psyche, the overall impact is now more subdued. So whereas, in 1965, Kolkata was a major cultural shock in every respect, the cultural impact to the casual visitor is now much less. Don't get me wrong, it still generates a significant impact. It is after all a large teeming chaotic metropolis seething with humanity rising out of the dust and dirt, with glimpses here and there of its grand colonial heritage. I went with the idea of photographing the colour and activity of the people and have written an illustrated report at http://www.artphototravel.net/india/kolkata-revisted-india/ which includes highlights, images and a map.
Kolkata revisited, for the third time.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Teaching English in Asia or Europe
- 2 Top ten historical monuments in India - what is yours?
- 3 Nepal
- 4 hotels in Singapore-1st time there
- 5 two free days in Beijing
- 6 China in 12 Days
- 7 Japan - spending money?
- 8 April in Bangkok, again!
- 9 Hong Kong in August - hotel question
- 10 Travel agencies in India e.g. Legends and Palaces, Castle and King
- 11 1st Trip to Bali
- 12 Finally Going To Bali! Please Help With Flight and Alam Shanti Question
- 13 Karen and Tom - a romantic Vietnam getaway: ENGAGED!!!
- 14 Headed to Thailand this June/July--Help!!
- 15 7 days in Nepal, any suggestions?
- 16 Your thoughts on Nepal and how long to visit
- 17 water villages, shanghai
- 18 language problem in japan
- 19 Japan Itinerary and JR pass questions/China 72-hour Visafree question
- 20 Help with Malaysia itinerary
- 21 Private Guide in Chiang Mai
- 22 last minute plan to visit Sapa, Vietnam -- help
- 23 Truly a one day suit in Hong Kong?
- 24 Haneda to Narita Layover : Need advice
- 25 North India trip report with Castle and King tour company