I have visited Kolkata three times. The first being in 1965, then in 2002 and the latest in March 2012. Over this time, I have witnessed dramatic changes to the life of the city, and although it still generates a powerful, attractive -repulsive spell on my psyche, the overall impact is now more subdued. So whereas, in 1965, Kolkata was a major cultural shock in every respect, the cultural impact to the casual visitor is now much less. Don't get me wrong, it still generates a significant impact. It is after all a large teeming chaotic metropolis seething with humanity rising out of the dust and dirt, with glimpses here and there of its grand colonial heritage. I went with the idea of photographing the colour and activity of the people and have written an illustrated report at http://www.artphototravel.net/india/kolkata-revisted-india/ which includes highlights, images and a map.
Kolkata revisited, for the third time.
- 1 9 PM arrival in Narita
- 2 National Diet Building and Imperial Palace tours
- 3 Which flight from BKK to Chiang Mai should I take?
- 4 Kyushu Trip May 2013
- 5 Hong Kong - how long to see highlights?
- 6 Uzbekistan: A Lesson in Silk Road Hospitality
- 7 Kashmir or Nepal
- 8 Restaurants near Shangri-la Kowloon and walking/food tours
- 9 Wildlife Tour of India
- 10 Cell Phones in India
- 11 Amazing Malaysia Trip!
- 12 trip report to tajmahal agra india
- 13 Photography Trip to Vietnam
- 14 white sand beaches in thailand
- 15 Elephant Visit in Chiang Mai
- 16 Udaipur, India
- 17 Beijing To Tibet, Mt. Everest And Nepal All In 10 Days
- 18 Weather in Bangkok & Phuket in September
- 19 Suggestions for Asian visit Feb. 2014, incl. Singapore
- 20 where is best place to exchange left over Chinese RMB's for US dollars
- 21 Kanchanaburi - Toi's Tours
- 22 Thailand-Japan-China (is it a bad idea?)
- 23 Trip plans to SE Asia for 2014 coming together! Int'l flights purchased!
- 24 11 days in Japan, JR pass question
- 25 Nepal, Tibet, and Bhutan tour suggestions