I have visited Kolkata three times. The first being in 1965, then in 2002 and the latest in March 2012. Over this time, I have witnessed dramatic changes to the life of the city, and although it still generates a powerful, attractive -repulsive spell on my psyche, the overall impact is now more subdued. So whereas, in 1965, Kolkata was a major cultural shock in every respect, the cultural impact to the casual visitor is now much less. Don't get me wrong, it still generates a significant impact. It is after all a large teeming chaotic metropolis seething with humanity rising out of the dust and dirt, with glimpses here and there of its grand colonial heritage. I went with the idea of photographing the colour and activity of the people and have written an illustrated report at http://www.artphototravel.net/india/kolkata-revisted-india/ which includes highlights, images and a map.
Kolkata revisited, for the third time.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 RHKKMKs---Just to be copy cats
- 2 Staying 3 nights in Jaisalmer, what attractions we should see
- 3 My SEA trip : 2 months
- 4 Hong Kong Island Hotels - Far From Central
- 5 Travel & leisure reports Burma as one of most dangerous countries to visit
- 6 2 Weeks Thailand Honeymoon
- 7 Kyushu rail pass
- 8 Plans for Nepal/Bhutan continued: how does this sound??
- 9 Ryoken recommendation pls either in Tokyo;Hiroshima;Kyoto?
- 10 A question concerning Sri Lanka's rainfall in Jan.
- 11 Tucan Travel Wonders of India and Nepal Review - Travelers, Beware!
- 12 Currency in South Korea
- 13 Planning First Family Trip to Japan - Advice Needed!
- 14 Tipping in Japan
- 15 Japan & Korea - A little of this, a little of that
- 16 Places to visit in India in October
- 17 Flying back and forth between Vietnam and Cambodia: where to start
- 18 Cambodge / Laos / Vietnam arts
- 19 Driver in South India
- 20 Craig and Jeane Depart for Australia and Bali
- 21 British tourists murdered in Koh Tao
- 22 6 full days in Yagoon
- 23 5 day Bangkok Itinerary?
- 24 Amphawa Floating Market
- 25 Following Craig & Jeane's lead, I'm heading out. Thailand & Cambodia again.