I have visited Kolkata three times. The first being in 1965, then in 2002 and the latest in March 2012. Over this time, I have witnessed dramatic changes to the life of the city, and although it still generates a powerful, attractive -repulsive spell on my psyche, the overall impact is now more subdued. So whereas, in 1965, Kolkata was a major cultural shock in every respect, the cultural impact to the casual visitor is now much less. Don't get me wrong, it still generates a significant impact. It is after all a large teeming chaotic metropolis seething with humanity rising out of the dust and dirt, with glimpses here and there of its grand colonial heritage. I went with the idea of photographing the colour and activity of the people and have written an illustrated report at http://www.artphototravel.net/india/kolkata-revisted-india/ which includes highlights, images and a map.
Kolkata revisited, for the third time.
View all Asia activity »
- 1 Any recommendations for drivers in Beijing?
- 2 Magical India
- 3 Visit To Goa
- 4 Bangkok & demonstrations (2013)
- 5 Indian Visa: Experience with BLS International?
- 6 Bangkok - Silver Shops
- 7 Myanmar Tour- Odysseys Unlimited or Asia Transpacific
- 8 Pindaya -to visit or not?
- 9 BLS International - Frustrating Passport Renewal Process
- 10 First time trip to Japan - Fall 2013
- 11 Questions, questions and more questions for first time trip to Asia
- 12 Bangkok-Skytrain Update
- 13 Back from a Trip of a Lifetime! Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia!
- 14 Visa process for those residing in NY/NJ/CT
- 15 How much would it cost to have dental implants done in India?
- 16 Can I get Kopi Luwak coffee in Bangkok
- 17 India Visa - BLS international. Lost passport FBI complaint
- 18 South East Asia
- 19 7 Days in Sri Lanka
- 20 India's Online VISA Application
- 21 Planning 1st trip to japan. Ideas?
- 22 Beijing - is the air quality THAT bad?
- 23 Airport - hotel transportation in Thailand
- 24 Which mosquito repellent to use for a 9 year old child?
- 25 Myanmar and Mt Popa