I have visited Kolkata three times. The first being in 1965, then in 2002 and the latest in March 2012. Over this time, I have witnessed dramatic changes to the life of the city, and although it still generates a powerful, attractive -repulsive spell on my psyche, the overall impact is now more subdued. So whereas, in 1965, Kolkata was a major cultural shock in every respect, the cultural impact to the casual visitor is now much less. Don't get me wrong, it still generates a significant impact. It is after all a large teeming chaotic metropolis seething with humanity rising out of the dust and dirt, with glimpses here and there of its grand colonial heritage. I went with the idea of photographing the colour and activity of the people and have written an illustrated report at http://www.artphototravel.net/india/kolkata-revisted-india/ which includes highlights, images and a map.
Kolkata revisited, for the third time.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 12 day split between Beijing and Shanghai
- 2 Biting the India bullet...well, maybe...
- 3 Japan, japan
- 4 Have you stayed at Outrigger Laguna Beach Resort Phuket?
- 5 Bangkok, Luang Prabang, Luang Say, Chiang Rai, Singapore (but no Siem Reap)
- 6 Flying from place to place in Asia - here's our plan with questions
- 7 April in Bangkok, again!
- 8 Hong Kong restaurants
- 9 Problems at 12,000'
- 10 GOING TO SE ASIA , NEED HELP
- 11 Hotels in Hong Kong
- 12 India for 2 weeks in December/January
- 13 Drinking cheap in Singapore
- 14 Has anyone done a houseboat trip in Kerala
- 15 Bali trip - Places to visit outside of Bali / SE Asia
- 16 Sixteen Day in South Korea
- 17 SE Asia July/August - more itinerary advice needed
- 18 what gifts to take to host in Cambodia from the U.D.
- 19 Recs for Tokyo hotels
- 20 How safe is Delhi/India
- 21 Malaria
- 22 Vietnam and coffee
- 23 I'm going to Japan!
- 24 Living in Bangalore, India for 12 months. How to handle Malaria?
- 25 Diving in Thailand? Be aware!