I have visited Kolkata three times. The first being in 1965, then in 2002 and the latest in March 2012. Over this time, I have witnessed dramatic changes to the life of the city, and although it still generates a powerful, attractive -repulsive spell on my psyche, the overall impact is now more subdued. So whereas, in 1965, Kolkata was a major cultural shock in every respect, the cultural impact to the casual visitor is now much less. Don't get me wrong, it still generates a significant impact. It is after all a large teeming chaotic metropolis seething with humanity rising out of the dust and dirt, with glimpses here and there of its grand colonial heritage. I went with the idea of photographing the colour and activity of the people and have written an illustrated report at http://www.artphototravel.net/india/kolkata-revisted-india/ which includes highlights, images and a map.
Kolkata revisited, for the third time.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Myanmar Trip Report: Is It "Too Late" To Go?
- 2 Travels in Tumultuous Thailand, languid Luang Prabang & Smiling Siem Reap
- 3 3 weeks in Japan- Finalized... I think
- 4 Indian Visa: Experience with BLS International?
- 5 Travelling to Thailand from U.S. this June/July
- 6 looking for a great hotel in K.L./ Lost camera!!!!!!!
- 7 First timer trying to prepare for trip of a lifetime: BURMA
- 8 How to get to Koh Ngai?
- 9 Glovers 2 month India adventure has begun!
- 10 Japan Itinerary for May
- 11 Thai island escape
- 12 Itinerary set: Now some logistical questions on first time trip to Japan
- 13 Planning 19 days in Indonesia- need help
- 14 Indonesia/Java/Sulawesi Travel Advice needed
- 15 Halong Bay Tour - Is there another day tour you recommend instead?
- 16 What are good things to buy while in Shanghai China
- 17 Visa Arrived..off to India!!!
- 18 From Singapore to NZ: A Remarkable Safari Through Time and Across Cultures
- 19 South Korea 5 days
- 20 Japan -OAT tour
- 21 Great trip to Myanmar, Bangkok and Hong Kong
- 22 Questions on Places to See in Burma
- 23 Transport logistics: Kyoto, Hiroshima/Miyajima, Kyushu
- 24 India Visa - BLS international. Lost passport FBI complaint
- 25 General question