Some of you have likely already rung in the new year while others are waiting to do so. But, here's wishing everyone a happy, healthy 2012 with wonderful journeys and adventures.
We (my husband and I ) got back from a trip to Vietnam and Hong Kong recently - well, it's actually been more than a month, but let's not dwell on that. We are in our mid-30s from NYC and plan all our trips on our on own, and for the past 3 years I've been posting our trip reports on Fodors. So, here goes.
Vietnam was not at the top of the list of countries we wanted to visit in Asia; we were more keen to get to Laos, Burma (Myanmar) and Indonesia. But, with a visit to Hong Kong on the cards for 2011 (to visit my aunt, uncle, cousin and grandmom), Northern Vietnam seemed to be the perfect destination to spend 10 days.
Once I began my research, I knew immediately that we would spend a few days in Hanoi and Sapa. The more I read, it seemed Sapa had gotten touristy in recent years, so I was keen to visit a quieter and more secluded area to do a homestay - the villages in the Mai Chau province seemed to fit the bill. I was conflicted about Halong Bay; while I didn't want to miss it, being surrounded by a hundred junks didn't appeal to me either. In the end, I was able to find a 1 night cruise that sailed to a less frequented part of the bay - Bai Tu Long Bay. And, that sealed the deal. The itinerary was in place. Now, we were really excited about the trip! We were most excited about indulging in one of our passions - food, especially street food. And boy, did we!!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Verizon Installation CONTACT ☎ 1:800:982:8520 Tec*h cAre 24/7
- 2 hiking japan sept
- 3 Himeji Castle - luggage storage
- 4 Terracotta Warriors
- 5 Trip Report: Second Time to Japan - Sakura, Gardens and Castles
- 6 Japan - itinerary help needed!
- 7 Renting 4G Wi-Fi Device in Korea
- 8 The best way to My Son
- 9 Japan Itinerary!
- 10 Across Uzbekistan with MIR
- 11 Destinations like Ubud or Seminyak in Bali?
- 12 Travel from Busan to Seoul by bus
- 13 Kyoto Temples and Imperial Palace - Travel Report
- 14 trying to fathom Chinese train travel
- 15 Travelling the Silk Road - Trip Report
- 16 Cooking class/Food Tour/Fish market tour
- 17 Japan rough itinerary
- 18 Bangkok- Sky Bars
- 19 2 weeks in Asia with my adult kids Xmas
- 20 Please recommend a hotel in Mumbai
- 21 Japan Itinerary Help Needed
- 22 Bangkok- Dinner Cruises
- 23 shanghai for 4 days
- 24 Budget Servied Apt
- 25 7 hour layover in Beijing
Just back from an 11 day trip to Northern Vietnam