Some of you have likely already rung in the new year while others are waiting to do so. But, here's wishing everyone a happy, healthy 2012 with wonderful journeys and adventures.
We (my husband and I ) got back from a trip to Vietnam and Hong Kong recently - well, it's actually been more than a month, but let's not dwell on that. We are in our mid-30s from NYC and plan all our trips on our on own, and for the past 3 years I've been posting our trip reports on Fodors. So, here goes.
Vietnam was not at the top of the list of countries we wanted to visit in Asia; we were more keen to get to Laos, Burma (Myanmar) and Indonesia. But, with a visit to Hong Kong on the cards for 2011 (to visit my aunt, uncle, cousin and grandmom), Northern Vietnam seemed to be the perfect destination to spend 10 days.
Once I began my research, I knew immediately that we would spend a few days in Hanoi and Sapa. The more I read, it seemed Sapa had gotten touristy in recent years, so I was keen to visit a quieter and more secluded area to do a homestay - the villages in the Mai Chau province seemed to fit the bill. I was conflicted about Halong Bay; while I didn't want to miss it, being surrounded by a hundred junks didn't appeal to me either. In the end, I was able to find a 1 night cruise that sailed to a less frequented part of the bay - Bai Tu Long Bay. And, that sealed the deal. The itinerary was in place. Now, we were really excited about the trip! We were most excited about indulging in one of our passions - food, especially street food. And boy, did we!!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Indy 500 2016 the 100th race of the year
- 2 Booking hotels for Japan in April 2017
- 3 Te Best Luxury Ryokans in Japan
- 4 Train Travel in Thailand
- 5 Adventures Abroad
- 6 A 6-week waking dream in North and South India.
- 7 19 Day Sri Lanka Itinerary - Advice Needed!
- 8 2 Week Honeymoon in Singapore and Indonesia
- 9 4.5 days in Singapore
- 10 options on 2 potential itineraries
- 11 5 day rain-free trip in India
- 12 Ryokan in Hakone - best location?
- 13 Hakone question
- 14 "Ishaani" and "Ranvir" return from 2 weeks in Uzbekistan
- 15 India 1st Time Itinerary Revised - HELP!
- 16 Advise on visting Hokkaido to photograph cranes
- 17 Question about travel to Mae Sot
- 18 Oh dear. Japan's 7-11 cash machines have just been robbed.
- 19 David's First Draft Itinerary for Sakura 2017
- 20 Japan tickets purchased a itinerary help needed
- 21 Phillipines with two young children in December
- 22 Struggling with SE Asia Itinerary for November
- 23 Hong Kong or Toyko
- 24 Hong Kong early June
- 25 India Mother-Son 1st Time HELP
Just back from an 11 day trip to Northern Vietnam