Some of you have likely already rung in the new year while others are waiting to do so. But, here's wishing everyone a happy, healthy 2012 with wonderful journeys and adventures.
We (my husband and I ) got back from a trip to Vietnam and Hong Kong recently - well, it's actually been more than a month, but let's not dwell on that. We are in our mid-30s from NYC and plan all our trips on our on own, and for the past 3 years I've been posting our trip reports on Fodors. So, here goes.
Vietnam was not at the top of the list of countries we wanted to visit in Asia; we were more keen to get to Laos, Burma (Myanmar) and Indonesia. But, with a visit to Hong Kong on the cards for 2011 (to visit my aunt, uncle, cousin and grandmom), Northern Vietnam seemed to be the perfect destination to spend 10 days.
Once I began my research, I knew immediately that we would spend a few days in Hanoi and Sapa. The more I read, it seemed Sapa had gotten touristy in recent years, so I was keen to visit a quieter and more secluded area to do a homestay - the villages in the Mai Chau province seemed to fit the bill. I was conflicted about Halong Bay; while I didn't want to miss it, being surrounded by a hundred junks didn't appeal to me either. In the end, I was able to find a 1 night cruise that sailed to a less frequented part of the bay - Bai Tu Long Bay. And, that sealed the deal. The itinerary was in place. Now, we were really excited about the trip! We were most excited about indulging in one of our passions - food, especially street food. And boy, did we!!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Vietnam Dong
- 2 Itinerary/tips for 2-3 weeks in Japan in Nov.
- 3 First trip to Japan - 3 weeks, summer 2018
- 4 Understanding beach destinations in Thailand
- 5 Appropriate Dress For The Cultural Triangle
- 6 First time in Japan in November - Request Itinerary Help
- 7 3 weeks in Japan
- 8 New Years in Japan
- 9 2 weeks in Vietnam
- 10 Good fare for US west coast to Japan?
- 11 First timer to Hong Kong, Thailand & Cambodia
- 12 Touristy Thailand
- 13 Tour company for China and Southeast Asia
- 14 3 Weeks Thailand Itinerary - Advice Sought
- 15 One week in Taiwan (is not enough!)
- 16 Vietnam with kids/teens
- 17 Myanmar tour companies
- 18 Help with 2 week Thailand itinerary
- 19 A Victory Day Tour
- 20 16 hour layover in Indonesia; what to do?
- 21 Kinosake Onsen Ryokan
- 22 12 days in Thailand itinerary
- 23 One Visa for multiple countries?
- 24 Procuring Letter of Invitation from Kazakhastan for Visa
- 25 Memories: Astana, Expo 2017
Just back from an 11 day trip to Northern Vietnam