Some of you have likely already rung in the new year while others are waiting to do so. But, here's wishing everyone a happy, healthy 2012 with wonderful journeys and adventures.
We (my husband and I ) got back from a trip to Vietnam and Hong Kong recently - well, it's actually been more than a month, but let's not dwell on that. We are in our mid-30s from NYC and plan all our trips on our on own, and for the past 3 years I've been posting our trip reports on Fodors. So, here goes.
Vietnam was not at the top of the list of countries we wanted to visit in Asia; we were more keen to get to Laos, Burma (Myanmar) and Indonesia. But, with a visit to Hong Kong on the cards for 2011 (to visit my aunt, uncle, cousin and grandmom), Northern Vietnam seemed to be the perfect destination to spend 10 days.
Once I began my research, I knew immediately that we would spend a few days in Hanoi and Sapa. The more I read, it seemed Sapa had gotten touristy in recent years, so I was keen to visit a quieter and more secluded area to do a homestay - the villages in the Mai Chau province seemed to fit the bill. I was conflicted about Halong Bay; while I didn't want to miss it, being surrounded by a hundred junks didn't appeal to me either. In the end, I was able to find a 1 night cruise that sailed to a less frequented part of the bay - Bai Tu Long Bay. And, that sealed the deal. The itinerary was in place. Now, we were really excited about the trip! We were most excited about indulging in one of our passions - food, especially street food. And boy, did we!!
Just back from an 11 day trip to Northern Vietnam
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Thailand during the rainy season, have you been?
- 2 1st time to Southeast Asian January 14 to 31
- 3 narrow down destinations, Japan 2 weeks in April
- 4 Your favorites in south India & places you'd probably not recommend
- 5 best time to visit Sri Lanka to avoid rain?
- 6 Is Boutique Sri Lanka out of business?
- 7 Southern India itinerary help needed
- 8 Factory "outlet" stores in Vietnam?
- 9 Missing Air Asia flight
- 10 Hanoi driver wanted
- 11 Crossing Myanmar with own car (Thailand -> India) in Aug or Sep 2014
- 12 5 nights in Japan.
- 13 vietnam and laos
- 14 Delhi this winter, in pictures!
- 15 A Thailand holiday vacation 9 years in a row!
- 16 2nd location on the beach
- 17 Buying loose sapphires in Sri Lanka
- 18 Help: 24 hours to change decision for award flight BKK-SFO
- 19 Safe to buy Sapphires in Sri Lanka
- 20 Thailand - Food recos
- 21 Seoul - Cuckoo rice cooker
- 22 First Time Solo Trip To Thailand Itinerary
- 23 Laos for the backpacker
- 24 The best way (or place) to see Mt. Fuji while staying in Tokyo
- 25 Single parent traveling to Thailand with a 4-yo son