Some of you have likely already rung in the new year while others are waiting to do so. But, here's wishing everyone a happy, healthy 2012 with wonderful journeys and adventures.
We (my husband and I ) got back from a trip to Vietnam and Hong Kong recently - well, it's actually been more than a month, but let's not dwell on that. We are in our mid-30s from NYC and plan all our trips on our on own, and for the past 3 years I've been posting our trip reports on Fodors. So, here goes.
Vietnam was not at the top of the list of countries we wanted to visit in Asia; we were more keen to get to Laos, Burma (Myanmar) and Indonesia. But, with a visit to Hong Kong on the cards for 2011 (to visit my aunt, uncle, cousin and grandmom), Northern Vietnam seemed to be the perfect destination to spend 10 days.
Once I began my research, I knew immediately that we would spend a few days in Hanoi and Sapa. The more I read, it seemed Sapa had gotten touristy in recent years, so I was keen to visit a quieter and more secluded area to do a homestay - the villages in the Mai Chau province seemed to fit the bill. I was conflicted about Halong Bay; while I didn't want to miss it, being surrounded by a hundred junks didn't appeal to me either. In the end, I was able to find a 1 night cruise that sailed to a less frequented part of the bay - Bai Tu Long Bay. And, that sealed the deal. The itinerary was in place. Now, we were really excited about the trip! We were most excited about indulging in one of our passions - food, especially street food. And boy, did we!!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Visiting Kyoto for the color - and there was no color
- 2 Annual Fall Asia Trip
- 3 For: Crellston
- 4 My visit to Thailand
- 5 Snapshots From Kerala
- 6 India Trip Report
- 7 Viewing Tigers in India - Best Time of Year?
- 8 India - Bangalore, Mysore & Agra
- 9 Please comment on our 19 day itinerary for March 2016
- 10 India Trip Three - Am I crazy?
- 11 My visit to Cambodia
- 12 Air India Versus Jet airways. Which is best for India
- 13 Holiday in Cambodia - plus Myanmar for a wedding.
- 14 New Member
- 15 Bangkok in April?!?
- 16 timing of a Vietnam trip around Tet 2017
- 17 Elephant Complex - A Beautiful New Travel Book on Sri Lanka
- 18 Khoa Sok National Park in April?
- 19 Is the Songkran Festival worth it?
- 20 Ko Phi Phi or a different island in April?
- 21 Third Time and Still Charmed: Kathie and Cheryl take a Pandaw Cruise
- 22 My visit to Vietnam
- 23 Vietnam and Cambodia opinions needed!
- 24 TRIP REPORT: Just returned from first visit to Japan!
- 25 Seeking Help with First Trip to Japan
Just back from an 11 day trip to Northern Vietnam