Some of you have likely already rung in the new year while others are waiting to do so. But, here's wishing everyone a happy, healthy 2012 with wonderful journeys and adventures.
We (my husband and I ) got back from a trip to Vietnam and Hong Kong recently - well, it's actually been more than a month, but let's not dwell on that. We are in our mid-30s from NYC and plan all our trips on our on own, and for the past 3 years I've been posting our trip reports on Fodors. So, here goes.
Vietnam was not at the top of the list of countries we wanted to visit in Asia; we were more keen to get to Laos, Burma (Myanmar) and Indonesia. But, with a visit to Hong Kong on the cards for 2011 (to visit my aunt, uncle, cousin and grandmom), Northern Vietnam seemed to be the perfect destination to spend 10 days.
Once I began my research, I knew immediately that we would spend a few days in Hanoi and Sapa. The more I read, it seemed Sapa had gotten touristy in recent years, so I was keen to visit a quieter and more secluded area to do a homestay - the villages in the Mai Chau province seemed to fit the bill. I was conflicted about Halong Bay; while I didn't want to miss it, being surrounded by a hundred junks didn't appeal to me either. In the end, I was able to find a 1 night cruise that sailed to a less frequented part of the bay - Bai Tu Long Bay. And, that sealed the deal. The itinerary was in place. Now, we were really excited about the trip! We were most excited about indulging in one of our passions - food, especially street food. And boy, did we!!
Just back from an 11 day trip to Northern Vietnam
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Trip Report - Yunnan Province, China and Mongolia
- 2 China in 12 Days
- 3 Japan Itinerary & Logistics - help, feeling frantic!
- 4 Karen and Tom - a romantic Vietnam getaway: ENGAGED!!!
- 5 language problem in japan
- 6 Nepal
- 7 Getting down to details and welcome advice: Tokyo
- 8 Finally, Smeagol and Muffins Japanese adventure begins.....
- 9 two free days in Beijing
- 10 hotels in Singapore-1st time there
- 11 April in Bangkok, again!
- 12 Top ten historical monuments in India - what is yours?
- 13 Japan - spending money?
- 14 Teaching English in Asia or Europe
- 15 Hong Kong in August - hotel question
- 16 Travel agencies in India e.g. Legends and Palaces, Castle and King
- 17 1st Trip to Bali
- 18 Finally Going To Bali! Please Help With Flight and Alam Shanti Question
- 19 Headed to Thailand this June/July--Help!!
- 20 7 days in Nepal, any suggestions?
- 21 Your thoughts on Nepal and how long to visit
- 22 water villages, shanghai
- 23 Japan Itinerary and JR pass questions/China 72-hour Visafree question
- 24 Help with Malaysia itinerary
- 25 Private Guide in Chiang Mai