Some of you have likely already rung in the new year while others are waiting to do so. But, here's wishing everyone a happy, healthy 2012 with wonderful journeys and adventures.
We (my husband and I ) got back from a trip to Vietnam and Hong Kong recently - well, it's actually been more than a month, but let's not dwell on that. We are in our mid-30s from NYC and plan all our trips on our on own, and for the past 3 years I've been posting our trip reports on Fodors. So, here goes.
Vietnam was not at the top of the list of countries we wanted to visit in Asia; we were more keen to get to Laos, Burma (Myanmar) and Indonesia. But, with a visit to Hong Kong on the cards for 2011 (to visit my aunt, uncle, cousin and grandmom), Northern Vietnam seemed to be the perfect destination to spend 10 days.
Once I began my research, I knew immediately that we would spend a few days in Hanoi and Sapa. The more I read, it seemed Sapa had gotten touristy in recent years, so I was keen to visit a quieter and more secluded area to do a homestay - the villages in the Mai Chau province seemed to fit the bill. I was conflicted about Halong Bay; while I didn't want to miss it, being surrounded by a hundred junks didn't appeal to me either. In the end, I was able to find a 1 night cruise that sailed to a less frequented part of the bay - Bai Tu Long Bay. And, that sealed the deal. The itinerary was in place. Now, we were really excited about the trip! We were most excited about indulging in one of our passions - food, especially street food. And boy, did we!!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 2 weeks in Vietnam
- 2 Vietnam Visa on Arrival - Help
- 3 What beach to choose?!?!
- 4 Thailand itinerary help - 3 weeks in December
- 5 Calling habitués of Chiang Rai.
- 6 Singapore or Bali
- 7 Travel to Singapore & Area with Husband and 2 teenage boys
- 8 more problems for Tiger Temple - Abbot mauled
- 9 Driver recommendation in Bali
- 10 Chiang Mai...should we?
- 11 RHK'S Spring trip
- 12 Hotels in Beijing
- 13 Need a place to stay in Chang Mai
- 14 Trekking in Tsum Valley Nepal with Great Vision Treks&Expedition
- 15 Some Final Thoughts on a Trip to SE Asia
- 16 Hanoi, Vietnam - The last days in April, 2015
- 17 Kunming, Yunnan, China
- 18 Good Honeymoon Location in August 2015 on a budget
- 19 traveling from nara to miajima and himeji - help
- 20 First trip to Japan
- 21 Hotel in Tokyo
- 22 Borobudur and Yogyakarta - How long?
- 23 Kuala Lumpur & Penang
- 24 Business class on JAL
- 25 NRT 21 hrs layover, need help with train schedule
Just back from an 11 day trip to Northern Vietnam