I'm in the middle of planning my Japan trip (work is crazy, so haven't got too far with it yet)...it's still 4 weeks away, but would like to get my Yen sorted out well in advance, as I know Japan is generally a cash society and that my cards probably won't work there.
I know the 'how much money?' question is a difficult one to answer is we all have our own ideas about how much we want to spend, but I'm hoping to get some feedback so I can have at least a rough idea of how much to get. I'm doing a somewhat budget trip, staying mostly in hostels (Tokyo) and a small ryokan type place (Kyoto). I think my accommodation costs come to about 220 GBP, which is about 37932 yen. I then need to take one shinkansen from Kyoto to Tokyo, which I believe is about 13000 yen and another shinkansen for the Tokyo-Hakone return day trip (not sure about price yet) and one night bus, which is around 7500 yen. My next biggest cost is probably food - any idea what sort of figures I should be looking at? I'm not planning on going anywhere 'fancy' but I do want to try plenty of Japanese food. I'd probably be going with take-out bento boxes most lunchtimes (any recommendations of inexpensive but decent places to try?), and unpretentious restaurants in the evening for ramen, tonkatsu, things like that. I want to buy a few things (T-shirts, souvenirs) but don't plan to spend too much money on that stuff because I have very little space to bring it home again (travelling with just a backpack). Not into 'luxury' goods at all - just looking to buy a few pieces of clothing, maybe a bento box and some cute souvenirs for friends and family.
PS Does anyone based in London/UK have any tips about the place to go to get the best rates?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 GMAIL@password reset CONTACT ☎ 1:800:982:8520 Tech SUPP0RT CARE*
- 2 Please recommend a hotel in Mumbai
- 3 Sudden holiday to Japan
- 4 Start in Tokyo or Kyoto?
- 5 What areas to stay in Singapore & Bali
- 6 Hanoi, Vietnam 1 week
- 7 Kuala Lumpur itinerary
- 8 Travel Help!! Thailand - Ko Tao, Koh Samui or Ko Pha Ngan
- 9 Vietnam: Itinerary for 15 days in September
- 10 Safety concerns for solo female traveler in SE Asia and itinerary feedback
- 11 Japan Questions - shots, shoulders and shorts
- 12 Renting 4G Wi-Fi Device in Korea
- 13 Japan in December - yay or nay?
- 14 Japan Itinerary Help Needed
- 15 Hong Kong
- 16 Bangkok- Dinner Cruises
- 17 Sweltering in Saigon.
- 18 Bangkok- Sky Bars
- 19 Beijing Architecture and Art District - Travel Report
- 20 Something about... Malaysia
- 21 Kyoto Temples and Imperial Palace - Travel Report
- 22 Budget Servied Apt
- 23 Terracotta Warriors
- 24 Japan Cherry Blossom 2018
- 25 Destinations like Ubud or Seminyak in Bali?