I'm in the middle of planning my Japan trip (work is crazy, so haven't got too far with it yet)...it's still 4 weeks away, but would like to get my Yen sorted out well in advance, as I know Japan is generally a cash society and that my cards probably won't work there.
I know the 'how much money?' question is a difficult one to answer is we all have our own ideas about how much we want to spend, but I'm hoping to get some feedback so I can have at least a rough idea of how much to get. I'm doing a somewhat budget trip, staying mostly in hostels (Tokyo) and a small ryokan type place (Kyoto). I think my accommodation costs come to about 220 GBP, which is about 37932 yen. I then need to take one shinkansen from Kyoto to Tokyo, which I believe is about 13000 yen and another shinkansen for the Tokyo-Hakone return day trip (not sure about price yet) and one night bus, which is around 7500 yen. My next biggest cost is probably food - any idea what sort of figures I should be looking at? I'm not planning on going anywhere 'fancy' but I do want to try plenty of Japanese food. I'd probably be going with take-out bento boxes most lunchtimes (any recommendations of inexpensive but decent places to try?), and unpretentious restaurants in the evening for ramen, tonkatsu, things like that. I want to buy a few things (T-shirts, souvenirs) but don't plan to spend too much money on that stuff because I have very little space to bring it home again (travelling with just a backpack). Not into 'luxury' goods at all - just looking to buy a few pieces of clothing, maybe a bento box and some cute souvenirs for friends and family.
PS Does anyone based in London/UK have any tips about the place to go to get the best rates?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Please Critique My Itinerary
- 2 Can I access my AOL email in China?
- 3 Help with 2 week itinerary; Beijing to Hong Kong
- 4 Japan / Korea Trip
- 5 vietnam visa
- 6 Cherry Blossom season Mount Fuji area
- 7 Getting a Tote from Thailand-JFK
- 8 Sri Lanka- elephants
- 9 Kuala Lumpur Advice - Tour Recommendation
- 10 Taiwan confusion..
- 11 Review My 23 Day Japan Itinerary
- 12 Japan (Tokyo) trip- April or May least expensive to travel?
- 13 Narita Airport to Shinjuku
- 14 Japan GTG, early April
- 15 Tokyo daytrip
- 16 Does it make sense to stay at 2 Tokyo hotels?
- 17 Bangkok - Pavement [sidewalk] obstructions
- 18 Trip Report : China
- 19 Vietnam 15 day visa exemption - transfer included?
- 20 Upcoming friendly planet trip best of India and nepql
- 21 Looking for Ryokan in Hakone
- 22 Thailand and Vietnam - February 2017
- 23 Confusion with LTE data with a Verizon iPhone 6 Plus
- 24 A Netflix series for those who enjoy Tokyo
- 25 First time in Japan - itinerary feedback