I'm in the middle of planning my Japan trip (work is crazy, so haven't got too far with it yet)...it's still 4 weeks away, but would like to get my Yen sorted out well in advance, as I know Japan is generally a cash society and that my cards probably won't work there.
I know the 'how much money?' question is a difficult one to answer is we all have our own ideas about how much we want to spend, but I'm hoping to get some feedback so I can have at least a rough idea of how much to get. I'm doing a somewhat budget trip, staying mostly in hostels (Tokyo) and a small ryokan type place (Kyoto). I think my accommodation costs come to about 220 GBP, which is about 37932 yen. I then need to take one shinkansen from Kyoto to Tokyo, which I believe is about 13000 yen and another shinkansen for the Tokyo-Hakone return day trip (not sure about price yet) and one night bus, which is around 7500 yen. My next biggest cost is probably food - any idea what sort of figures I should be looking at? I'm not planning on going anywhere 'fancy' but I do want to try plenty of Japanese food. I'd probably be going with take-out bento boxes most lunchtimes (any recommendations of inexpensive but decent places to try?), and unpretentious restaurants in the evening for ramen, tonkatsu, things like that. I want to buy a few things (T-shirts, souvenirs) but don't plan to spend too much money on that stuff because I have very little space to bring it home again (travelling with just a backpack). Not into 'luxury' goods at all - just looking to buy a few pieces of clothing, maybe a bento box and some cute souvenirs for friends and family.
PS Does anyone based in London/UK have any tips about the place to go to get the best rates?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Vietnam Dong
- 2 Ariana Grande Dangerous World Tour ^^
- 3 Suggestions for a trip with my daughter
- 4 Saigon - Trace of time
- 5 2 weeks in Vietnam
- 6 Manufacturers of synthetic Resins
- 7 A first time for everything in Japan
- 8 Sulawesi - Tanah Toraja, Lake Tempe and Ramang Ramang
- 9 India Tour Companies
- 10 Need ideas: Himeji? Osaka? Fukuchiyama area? Kinosaki
- 11 Road Accidents and Police Assistance in SE Asia.
- 12 Tokyo-to do and districts
- 13 Kerala House Boat book online?
- 14 Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Sukhotai ..or even Siem Riep?:
- 15 Understanding beach destinations in Thailand
- 16 3 weeks in Japan
- 17 3 Weeks Thailand Itinerary - Advice Sought
- 18 Seeing the bats at Khao Yai, Thailand
- 19 Itinerary/tips for 2-3 weeks in Japan in Nov.
- 20 Taj Mahal under construction?
- 21 First trip to Japan - 3 weeks, summer 2018
- 22 Appropriate Dress For The Cultural Triangle
- 23 First time in Japan in November - Request Itinerary Help
- 24 New Years in Japan
- 25 Good fare for US west coast to Japan?