I'm in the middle of planning my Japan trip (work is crazy, so haven't got too far with it yet)...it's still 4 weeks away, but would like to get my Yen sorted out well in advance, as I know Japan is generally a cash society and that my cards probably won't work there.
I know the 'how much money?' question is a difficult one to answer is we all have our own ideas about how much we want to spend, but I'm hoping to get some feedback so I can have at least a rough idea of how much to get. I'm doing a somewhat budget trip, staying mostly in hostels (Tokyo) and a small ryokan type place (Kyoto). I think my accommodation costs come to about 220 GBP, which is about 37932 yen. I then need to take one shinkansen from Kyoto to Tokyo, which I believe is about 13000 yen and another shinkansen for the Tokyo-Hakone return day trip (not sure about price yet) and one night bus, which is around 7500 yen. My next biggest cost is probably food - any idea what sort of figures I should be looking at? I'm not planning on going anywhere 'fancy' but I do want to try plenty of Japanese food. I'd probably be going with take-out bento boxes most lunchtimes (any recommendations of inexpensive but decent places to try?), and unpretentious restaurants in the evening for ramen, tonkatsu, things like that. I want to buy a few things (T-shirts, souvenirs) but don't plan to spend too much money on that stuff because I have very little space to bring it home again (travelling with just a backpack). Not into 'luxury' goods at all - just looking to buy a few pieces of clothing, maybe a bento box and some cute souvenirs for friends and family.
PS Does anyone based in London/UK have any tips about the place to go to get the best rates?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 50th Anniversary trip
- 2 Indian Restaurant suggestions:
- 3 5 nights in Kerala or Chennai?
- 4 Kerala trip
- 5 DC to Dubai 3 nts, Tokyo 6 nts. Kyoto day trip? Itinerary thoughts?
- 6 First time in India and Nepal-HELP
- 7 Myanmaromestic flights and transport :cash :guide/travel agency i
- 8 Guides ,Bagan and Mandalay
- 9 12 x Day Itinerary- Please give me your feedback
- 10 US Citizen Vietnam Visa Help!
- 11 3 Week Trip to Southeast Asia
- 12 Gang rape in India. Again.
- 13 The Mystic East - a tale of hot food, hot weather, airmiles and imodium.
- 14 Help - India take 2
- 15 Chiang Mai hotel with sweet attentive staff
- 16 CNX late arrival?
- 17 Trip Report: Pandaw’s cruise down the Mekong from China to Laos
- 18 best singapore hotel
- 19 3 weeks: solo travel to Thailand (with stop in Hong Kong and Tokyo)?
- 20 is this a good travel plan?
- 21 currency conversion
- 22 Vietnam - Sa Pa
- 23 The truth about elephant tourism
- 24 Help w/Andaman Sea Itinerary
- 25 Do I need the rabies jab for bali?