Hello Fodors Travelers!
Thank you in advance for your time! We would love to hear your thoughts on our tentative Japan itinerary plans. My husband and I are going to Japan for two weeks at the end of November.
We love enjoying food and drink wherever we travel and appreciate the local experience. We are both uncomfortable with touristy areas and want to avoid crowds when possible. Aside from that, we both enjoy jazz, and play Go and do crafts for fun.
We will be traveling with family the first five days of our 12-day trip, they love onsen and they have named Shirakawa-go as their preferred destination.
We’ve put together a possible itinerary and would really appreciate if you could take a look and provide any comments, feedback, or any additional recommendations!
**11/25 FRI: Arrival**
- Arrive at Narita at 1345
- Travel: Narita > Tokyo (NEX, 1 hr), Tokyo > Nagoya (JR shinkansen, 2 hrs)
- Arrive at Nagoya, join up with family
- Eat histumabushi for dinner
**11/26 SAT: Nagoya**
- Visit NVisit Nagoya Castle (close to opening time, 0900)
- Visit Satsuki and Mei’s House in the Expo 2005 Commemorative Park (close to opening time, 1000)
Eat miso katsu for lunch
Travel: Nagoya > Takayama (JR Hida limited, ~2.5 hrs)
Arrive at Takayama, check-in to onsen ryokan
**11/27 SUN: Takayama / Okuhida**
- Visit Asaichi Morning Markets (start at 0700)
- Visit Higashiyama Walking Course
- Visit Matsuri no Mori museum (start at 0900)
- Eat Hida beef, drink Hida beer / sake for lunch
- Travel: Takayama > Okuhida Shin-Hotaka (Nohi Bus, 1.5 hrs)
- Arrive at Okuhida, Shin-Hotaka
- Visit Shin-Hotaka Ropeway, ride full loop
- Sleep in onsen ryokan (likely Shin-Hotaka for the alps view)
**11/28 MON: Shirakawa-go**
- Travel: Okuhida Shin-Hotaka > Takayama (Nohi Bus, 1.5 hrs); Takayama > Shirakawa-go (Nohi bus, 50 mi
- Arrive at Shirakawa-go
- Visit Ogimachi
- Sleep in Gassho-Zukiri
**11/29 TUE: Osaka**
- Travel: Shirakawa-go > Kanazawa (Nohi bus, 1.5 hrs); Kanazawa > Osaka (JR limited express, 2.
- Bid farewell to family
- Visit Shinsaibashi
- Visit Dotonbori
- Visit Shinsekai
- Eat okonomiyaki, takoyaki, kushikage
**11/30 WED: Kyoto**
- Travel: Osaka > Kyoto (JR shinkansen, 15 min
- Visit Gion District (check out specialty shops)
- Visit Kyoto Handicraft Center
- Visit Higashiyama District
- Visit Kiyomizudera (fall leaves illumination)
- Visit Koudaiji (fall leaves illumination)
**12/01 THU: Arashiyama Day Trip**
- Travel: Kyoto > Arashiyama (JR, 20 mins)
- Rent bikes
- Visit Enrian Temple
- Eat yudofu kaiseki
- Visit Bamboo Groves
- Visit Monkey Park Iwatayama
- Travel: Arashiyama > Kyoto (JR, 20 mins)
**12/02 FRI: Kyoto**
- Visit Fushimi Inari Shrine
- Visit Nishiki Market
- Visit Kinkakuji Temple
- Eat parfaits at Cafe Karafuneya
- Visit Pontocho District (eat at restaurant by the river)
**12/03 SAT: Chichibu**
- Travel: Kyoto > Tokyo (JR shinkansen , 2.7 hrs); Tokyo > Chichibu (Red Arrow, 1.5 hrs); Chichibu > Onohara (local, 10 mins)
- Rent bikes
- Visit Chichibu Yomatsuri
**12/04 SUN: Tokyo (Western)**
- Travel: Onohara > Chichibu (local service, 10 mins); Chichibu > Tokyo (Red Arrow, 1.5 hrs)
- Visit Yoyogi Park
- Visit Shibuya (Tokyu Hands)
- Visit Shinjuku (Eat at Omoide Yokocho and/or Golden Gai)
**12/05 MON: Tokyo (outlying and Northern)**
- Visit Ghibli Museum
- Visit Asakusa District
- Visit Senso-ji Temple
- Visit Nakamise Street
- Visit Rikugien Gardens (evening light-up)
- Eat high end sushi
**12/06 TUE: Tokyo (Central)**
- Visit Tsukiji Market (just the outside with restaurants), eat sushi
- Visit Ginza (Itoya)
- Visit Akihabara
- Visit Yurakucho (Yurakucho Go Center, Eat casual izakaya dinner)
**12/07 WED: Day Trip (Open to suggestions)**
- Possible: Odaiba, Yokohama, Kawagoe
**12/08 THU: Depature**
- Ramen Street
- Depart from Narita
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Is the Bennesse Naoshima Worth It?
- 2 Bali & Singapore in October
- 3 Go ahead...Eat the street food and buffets!
- 4 Many Questions for 1st Japan Trip
- 5 Singapore hotel for 3 days
- 6 Bangkok travelogue with kids (ages 5 and 3)
- 7 Ferry from Selayar to Flores
- 8 Booking on the fly
- 9 Which Mumbai Hotel? Westin vs Marriott
- 10 Tea estates of Munnar
- 11 Nywoman single older woman goes to Japan
- 12 Southeast Asia 2 month itinerary
- 13 Yogyakarta, Java. Indonesian Cuisine! - Travel Report
- 14 How many nights in Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka? Organizing an itinerary?
- 15 India - remnants of the British Raj
- 16 6 weeks in Nepal, Bhutan, Borneo and more...
- 17 Bali Honeymoon - Rec. for Quieter Northern Town
- 18 My Japan Travels - Follow-along with me
- 19 like my food
- 20 Laos or Kerala?
- 21 Hanoi, Vietnam 1 week
- 22 Portable wifi rental
- 23 21 Day Itinerary to Myanmar - Looking for Suggestions
- 24 Myanmar Itinerary -would like some help!
- 25 Where to from Tokyo?!
Japan Itinerary Review Request (12 days: Gifu, Kyoto, Tokyo)
Hello Fodors Travelers!