We are embarking on our first trip to Japan in late June 2017 (a little way off, but I am starting all of the research now). Perhaps not the most ideal time, weather wise (given rain, humidity, heat), but that is the only time of year we will get the opportunity, so better then than not at all!
I am generally pretty good at trip planning and researching, but I must say that I am finding Japan a little overwhelming. It seems so vast and diverse.
By way of background, we enjoy the typical sightseeing activities (visiting a few temples and highlights of the region), lots of dining/good food, visiting local markets, etc. We are not into significant hiking (although do like seeing aspects) or art, and shopping is not a major drawcard.
We don't like to do too much travelling/moving of hotels, and prefer a slower pace.
Our plan thus far (apologies for formatting):
Day .5, Friday, 16 June 2017: Leave Sydney to fly to Tokyo (Narita), arriving ~ 5pm.
Day 1, Saturday, 17 June 2017: Tokyo (... + day trips)
Day 2, Sunday, 18 June 2017: Tokyo
Day 3, Monday, 19 June 2017: Tokyo
Day 4, Tuesday, 20 June 2017: Tokyo
Day 5, Wednesday, 21 June 2017: Tokyo
Day 6, Thursday, 22 June 2017: Fly Tokyo to Hiroshima (overnight Hiroshima)
Day 7, Friday, 23 June 2017: Miyajima
Day 8, Saturday, 24 June 2017: Train to Osaka
Day 9, Sunday, 25 June 2017: Osaka
Day 10, Monday, 26 June 2017: Train to Kyoto
Day 11, Tuesday, 27 June 2017: Kyoto (visit Nara on one day)
Day 12, Wednesday, 28 June 2017: Kyoto
Day 13, Thursday, 29 June 2017: Kyoto
Day 14 (13.5), Friday, 30 June 2017: Train to Tokyo via Takayama, fly to Sydney (approximately 7pm)
Where we have transport options, obviously we have allocated losing ~ 1/2 a day; where I have mentioned one location, we will spend both day and night there, unless we are doing a day trip.
Anyone who reviews this will probably think I am a bit lost:
- Too much Tokyo?
- Too much travelling between Day 6-8 (and 10)?
We were thinking it is easier to fly to Hiroshima and backtrack to Tokyo than the other way (noting that we must fly into and out of Narita and cannot open jaw).
Thanks anyone for your feedback!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam 3 weeks itinerary and visa help
- 2 Googling to going...to Gujarat!
- 3 Hotel Claska vs. Prince Sakura Tower
- 4 Train to Sapa from Hanoi
- 5 sri lanka two places, two hotels
- 6 Can buy a JR Pass in Japan
- 7 Japan rough itinerary
- 8 Last Minute Bali Honeymoon
- 9 Bye bye SE Asia
- 10 Japan - 2 itineraries (7days)
- 11 One night in Osaka
- 12 Pocket Wi-Fi Speeds (187.5 Mbps v. 75 Mbps)?
- 13 14 days Japan itinerary. First timers.
- 14 Laos planning.
- 15 Impressions of India
- 16 Japan - costs
- 17 Japan for Foodies
- 18 Planning Honeymoon to Thailand
- 19 3 week SE Asia itinerary
- 20 Japan Rail Pass
- 21 First Time to Japan..Itin Advice Needed
- 22 south east asia 3 weeks in june
- 23 Japan Cherry Blossom 2018
- 24 20 days Itinerary Help!
- 25 Hokkaido and northern Honshu itinerary advice