My trip to Japan is coming up in 19 days and I'm trying to figure out right now a few things:
1. Should I purchase a JR Rail Pass?
When I estimate costs for using the JR rail to get between my itinerary destinations, the total amount is coming in around $250 whereas the rail pass is $276. Seems like I should just purchase tickets one by one when I'm there. But, am I missing something? Everyone says what a good deal the JR Rail Pass is.
2. Should I purchase day trip tours for top tourist destinations?
See my intinerary and add'l questions listed below.
3. Do you think I should skip something on my itinerary in favor of Koyasan or another stop? Just curious because if I'm making any changes it needs to be now.
Here's my itinerary:
4 nights here getting in late Thurs. evening, spending Fri. enjoying the Sanji Matsuri festival, Sat. touring about Tokyo, Sun. day trip to Nikko, Mon. Akihibara in the morning and leaving for Kyoto in the early afternoon.
Travel = Tokyo to Nikko roundtrip; Tokyo to Kyoto one-way.
Add'l Question = Should I purchase a day trip tour of Nikko from Viator.com? The cost is $125/person. Do you think we could easily understand what we are seeing and get around ourselves? I'd rather do that, but I don't want to miss getting the full experience.
3 nights here. Monday afternoon touring Gion and taking in a geisha show. Tuesday tour temples/shrines, trip to Nara?. Wednesday Arashiyama bamboo forest and monkey park. Gion tea ceremony maybe. Thursday morning depart for Shimoda and spend one night at beachside ryokan there before returning to Tokyo to leave.
Travel = Kyoto to Nara roundtrip; Kyoto station to Arashiyama roundtrip; Kyoto to Shimoda; Shimoda to Tokyo.
Add'l question = Should I book a tour on Viator.com to take us to Kyoto hot spots in the morning and then to Nara for the afternoon? It costs $134/person. I'm wondering how easy it is to get to the tourist destinations (e.g. are they in walking distance in Kyoto?) and if we'll be able to really understand what we are seeing without insight from a guide. Worth the money or DIY?
I so, so, so appreciate your advice and insight! I'm feeling kind of frantic to get things all planned out now that the date is coming up so quickly.
2. If I should purchase day trip tours to tourist destinations
Japan Itinerary & Logistics - help, feeling frantic!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Smeagol and Muffin in Sri Lanka ( and a quick stop in Dubai)
- 2 Final Itinerary Kyoto area through Kamakura (skipping Tokyo this trip)
- 3 Can you HELP with figuring out United Miles and how to get them SF-Bangkok?
- 4 Need suggestions for solo trip (2-3 weeks, next May)
- 5 Independent female traveller
- 6 North Vietnam Again!
- 7 Hotel or Air First for Japan?
- 8 Castle & King
- 9 The City, the River, the Jungle: Our Holiday in Kuching - Borneo
- 10 From Singapore to NZ: A Remarkable Safari Through Time and Across Cultures
- 11 Shoe/sock étiquette for temple viewing
- 12 In Chiang Mai Thailand
- 13 10 Days in Vietnam/Thailand/Cambodia
- 14 HELP! BKK, UdonThani&Beach Budget Family
- 15 One week in India
- 16 Itinerary for Second Visit to Japan
- 17 End of March - Seeking a fabulous ryokan relatively near Tokyo for 2 nights
- 18 Bangkok airport taxi options
- 19 Complex Travel Group - Doable? Safe?
- 20 6 nights at Bahdhavgahr, or split between Bandhavgarg and Kanha?
- 21 Where to stay for 2-3 nights between Tsumago and Hakone April 2015
- 22 Borneo or Sri Lanka for vacation?
- 23 reviews wanted for Sinorama tour company
- 24 We Recommend Our Guides! Saigon, Hanoi, Phnom Penh, Angkor
- 25 A week of blue skies in Beijing, who would've guessed?