In the midst of planning our Japan trip (first visit) in October and have a question about the Hakone area and the pass that lets you do the loop of the area via cable car / boat etc.
I am mostly wanting to go there in the hope of seeing Mt Fuji.
We have the time that we could stay overnight, which I'd prefer over a potentially rushed day trip from Tokyo.
My question is- is this area scenic / pretty and does it make an enjoyable trip? Is it worth 2 days of a 13 day itinerary? I have read the 5 Lakes area is also nice but perhaps not as accessible for tourists.
Also, Takayama looks like an interesting place to visit but would need to be at least overnight - can anyone offer advice as to whether this is a good spot?
We enjoy history, photography and short hikes (up to about 4 hours).
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 http://trycognimaxiq.com/varitonil/
- 2 Sri Lanka planning - advice sought.
- 3 First time getting out of the country
- 4 Bali & Flores or Sulawesi for first trip to Indonesia!
- 5 Help with itinerary please, 10 days Japan
- 6 Three days in Siem Reap, Two in Phnom Penh
- 7 To see the Himalayas in 10 days?
- 8 Start in Tokyo or Kyoto?
- 9 Will 3.5 hours be enough for int’l to domestic transfer in Beijing?
- 10 Travelling in Japan for 3 weeks - advice.
- 11 Connection time in Bangkok on separate tickets
- 12 5 days in Davao or Osaka
- 13 Planning my Philippines trip
- 14 Trekking & Camping at Nagalapuram
- 15 Travelling the Silk Road - Trip Report
- 16 Across Uzbekistan with MIR
- 17 A week exploring Hong Kong & Shanghai
- 18 Kyoto airbnb/vrbo reco?
- 19 A hungry mouse's (very sweaty) adventures in the Land of the Rising Sun
- 20 Surgery at Bumrungrad?
- 21 The Best of Bagan - Travel Report
- 22 Japanese Alps, JR option, Kamakura - more advice gratefully accepted!
- 23 Train or Bus from Nikko, Hakone, etc
- 24 10 days in Sri Lanka - Travel Report
- 25 12 days in Thailand itinerary