I am planning on going to Japan for ~3 weeks in May. Leaving Canada on the 6th and arriving in Osaka on the 7th. I have quite a bit planned out but thought I would see what some people who have been to Japan have to say.
May 6th: From Regina to Vancouver to Tokyo (overnight)
May 7th: From Tokyo to Osaka
May 8, 9,10: 3 Full days in Osaka (possible day trip, see below)
May 11th: Head to Mt. Konya and stay overnight (only for sure thing as I managed to get a reservation at a good temple)
May 12th: Depart Konyasan for Kyoto
May 13, 14, 15, 16: 4 Full days in Kyoto (although I am pretty sure I will head for Nara one of the four)
May 18th: Depart Kyoto for Tokyo
May 19, 20, 21, 22 ,23, 24, 25 ,26: 8 Full days in Tokyo (and area)
May 27th: Tokyo to Canada
I was thinking of extending my stay in Kyoto and take 2 days from Tokyo. That way I can see more while doing some day trips. I want to go to Iga Ueno so it is likely I will take a day out of tokyo and stay in Kyoto longer. I know a lot of people say Tokyo isn't too spectacular for a long stay but I did a euro trip two years ago and don't know if I want the whirlwind tour again .
Big question is if I should do a day trip for Osaka to Hiroshima. I plan on returning to Southwest Japan in the future (who knows when exactly) and am not too concerned about all the sites out that way but I do feel I should get to see Hiroshima just in case.
I am going to get a JR Pass.
I am open to suggestions
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Itinerary Review: What do you think?
- 2 Four nights in Kanazawa + Noto Peninsula self drive + Shirakawago stopover
- 3 Tibet and BhutanTour
- 4 Itinerary review: Alpine Route
- 5 A fun week in Bangkok!
- 6 4.5 days in Singapore
- 7 Beach time in Thailand - mid November
- 8 Italy from an Asian base
- 9 Bus service in Nepal
- 10 Travel to India in May?
- 11 2 Weeks in Japan July 2016
- 12 9 days in Bali
- 13 Bus travel Luang Prabang to Xishuangbanna. Anyone?
- 14 Impulse 8-day trip to China - questions
- 15 Bags are packed for Bangkok!
- 16 Advice for a newbie!
- 17 Another South East Asian sojourn.
- 18 20 Days In Japan: We survived Sakura!
- 19 Advice for 8 days in Nepal
- 20 Are personal tour guides in Tokyo and Kyoto work the cost?
- 21 K2 Base Camp- Concordia Gondogoro La Trek, Unforgettable Experience
- 22 NYT article on Bangkok's River of Kings
- 23 Handeda to Narita airports, train or bus?
- 24 Delhi, India Hotels/Guest Houses
- 25 Air India Versus Jet airways. Which is best for India