I am planning on going to Japan for ~3 weeks in May. Leaving Canada on the 6th and arriving in Osaka on the 7th. I have quite a bit planned out but thought I would see what some people who have been to Japan have to say.
May 6th: From Regina to Vancouver to Tokyo (overnight)
May 7th: From Tokyo to Osaka
May 8, 9,10: 3 Full days in Osaka (possible day trip, see below)
May 11th: Head to Mt. Konya and stay overnight (only for sure thing as I managed to get a reservation at a good temple)
May 12th: Depart Konyasan for Kyoto
May 13, 14, 15, 16: 4 Full days in Kyoto (although I am pretty sure I will head for Nara one of the four)
May 18th: Depart Kyoto for Tokyo
May 19, 20, 21, 22 ,23, 24, 25 ,26: 8 Full days in Tokyo (and area)
May 27th: Tokyo to Canada
I was thinking of extending my stay in Kyoto and take 2 days from Tokyo. That way I can see more while doing some day trips. I want to go to Iga Ueno so it is likely I will take a day out of tokyo and stay in Kyoto longer. I know a lot of people say Tokyo isn't too spectacular for a long stay but I did a euro trip two years ago and don't know if I want the whirlwind tour again .
Big question is if I should do a day trip for Osaka to Hiroshima. I plan on returning to Southwest Japan in the future (who knows when exactly) and am not too concerned about all the sites out that way but I do feel I should get to see Hiroshima just in case.
I am going to get a JR Pass.
I am open to suggestions
Japan Itinerary for May
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Xian - Make your own warriors?
- 2 Japan and Hong Kong, September 2014
- 3 RHKKMKs---Just to be copy cats
- 4 Kashmir today
- 5 Vietnam Trip Report: March 2014
- 6 Overnight trek to Mine Thauk Village?
- 7 Yikes! How to get a Visa to India??
- 8 How safe is it for US Citizens in Hat Yai and Violence in Southern Thailand
- 9 Bangkok/Phuket hotel and suggestions to do?
- 10 Vietnam - In Search of Accessible Nature
- 11 Elephants and Tigers (no bears), oh my.
- 12 Heading to Koh Lipe, missing the boat. So need to spend the night.
- 13 Obtaining Multiple-entry China Visa for American in Hong Kong
- 14 Alleppey Backwater Cruise at Kerala
- 15 Beijing Air Quality Forecast
- 16 Luang Prabang Waterfall
- 17 Asia July 2015 for 2 weeks
- 18 Sikkim, Darjeeling and Kolkata: an Unusual First Trip to India
- 19 Vietnam Visa on Arrival - Help
- 20 Triple Room in Singapore
- 21 A trip to Mahabaleshwar (India)
- 22 What I like about Mumbai
- 23 Favorite hotel in X'ian?
- 24 GPS points for Mustang - Naar Phu, Saribung pass, Saribung peak
- 25 11D Family 4 Adults 3 kids age 1, 4, 6 Taiwan trip need advice on itinerary