I am planning on going to Japan for ~3 weeks in May. Leaving Canada on the 6th and arriving in Osaka on the 7th. I have quite a bit planned out but thought I would see what some people who have been to Japan have to say.
May 6th: From Regina to Vancouver to Tokyo (overnight)
May 7th: From Tokyo to Osaka
May 8, 9,10: 3 Full days in Osaka (possible day trip, see below)
May 11th: Head to Mt. Konya and stay overnight (only for sure thing as I managed to get a reservation at a good temple)
May 12th: Depart Konyasan for Kyoto
May 13, 14, 15, 16: 4 Full days in Kyoto (although I am pretty sure I will head for Nara one of the four)
May 18th: Depart Kyoto for Tokyo
May 19, 20, 21, 22 ,23, 24, 25 ,26: 8 Full days in Tokyo (and area)
May 27th: Tokyo to Canada
I was thinking of extending my stay in Kyoto and take 2 days from Tokyo. That way I can see more while doing some day trips. I want to go to Iga Ueno so it is likely I will take a day out of tokyo and stay in Kyoto longer. I know a lot of people say Tokyo isn't too spectacular for a long stay but I did a euro trip two years ago and don't know if I want the whirlwind tour again .
Big question is if I should do a day trip for Osaka to Hiroshima. I plan on returning to Southwest Japan in the future (who knows when exactly) and am not too concerned about all the sites out that way but I do feel I should get to see Hiroshima just in case.
I am going to get a JR Pass.
I am open to suggestions
Japan Itinerary for May
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Please critique my Thailand itinerary
- 2 Tokyo to Takayama with transit in Matsumoto in one day
- 3 Kyoto to Koyasan, then Koyasan to Hiroshima
- 4 Bali - Suggested Driver/Car - Seminyak and Ubud Expert
- 5 Beach selection in Thailand
- 6 Chiang Mai, flight: best travel logistics to which Island?
- 7 Malaysian honeymoon
- 8 India - 2 Days only
- 9 9 nights in Hong Kong in November - how to split up?
- 10 Burma river cruise
- 11 hotel Paradise Island in Bentota, Sri Lanka toxic hepatitis.
- 12 Cooking in Chiang Mai & Driving Around Northern Thailand
- 13 India Visa - BLS international. Lost passport FBI complaint
- 14 JR PASS AND ITINERARY
- 15 Red River Delta in Viet Nam: A Good Idea for a Day Trip from Hanoi?
- 16 Bali and Java - 24 September to 23 October 2014
- 17 Travel during China national week?
- 18 My trip report from the Philippines
- 19 China with Collette Tours
- 20 Exploring Thailand
- 21 Air Asia package from Koh Lipe to Bangkok
- 22 Confused about where to stay in Tokyo
- 23 Tucan Travel Wonders of India and Nepal Review - Travelers, Beware!
- 24 Traveling solo to Thailand and looking for recommended tour company
- 25 Buying cycling clothes in Bangkok