I'm off to Japan in a week and SUPER excited... I've bought a couple of guide books (Lonely Planet guide for Japan and Pocket Guide to Tokyo), checked out Japan Guide, Wikitravel, etc. I have a few ideas of things I definitely want to do, but I'd also like to know some of your suggestions about what you consider unmissable. The only really definite plan I have is meeting a Japanese friend the Saturday after I arrive. He's going to teach me how to make gyoza at his house and he also mentioned Harajuku and going to a karaoke bar. Otherwise, I can do anything.
FRIDAY: Arrive in Tokyo around midday
SATURDAY: Spending day with Japanese friend (meeting in Asakusa)
MONDAY: Tokyo (overnight bus to Kyoto)
FRIDAY: Shinkansen to Tokyo (probably around midday)
SATURDAY: Day trip to Hakone
MONDAY: Leave for airport
What would you do if you were going again? I am especially interested in visiting temples and shrines and any type of eating, but open to pretty much anything!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Shinkansen (Bullet Train) Kyoto-Tokyo---Step by step process
- 2 2 Weeks in Japan July 2016
- 3 20 Days In Japan: We survived Sakura!
- 4 Elderly tourists attacked in Thailand
- 5 My new 10 year china visa
- 6 TRIP REPORT: Just returned from first visit to Japan!
- 7 Bags are packed for Bangkok!
- 8 Bus travel Luang Prabang to Xishuangbanna. Anyone?
- 9 Layover in Hong Kong
- 10 Trip to Thailand - advice
- 11 Another South East Asian sojourn.
- 12 5 weeks in Japan - Autumn 2011 Trip Report
- 13 Italy from an Asian base
- 14 2 weeks in Java
- 15 Southeast Asia Itinerary Advice
- 16 Japan SIM / Phone Data Options
- 17 Delhi, India Hotels/Guest Houses
- 18 Handeda to Narita airports, train or bus?
- 19 Hotel with easy access to Itami airport
- 20 Bitchu-Matsuyama Castle Visit
- 21 5 days in Tokyo, late June with pregnant wife
- 22 Impulse 8-day trip to China - questions
- 23 suggestions for 2nd time to Vietnam itinerary
- 24 Update on riding elephants
- 25 Our really quite big adventure, Act 2: a short intermission in Hong Kong