Hi everyone, I'm new here!
My fiancé and I are planning our first trip to Asia - we are going to Japan and Thailand in a month! We have booked hotels in Japan already:
4 nights Citadines Shinjuku
2 nights ryoken in Hakone
3 nights Sunline in Gion, Kyoto
I received a quote from a travel agent to book transportation and activities and it was over €2000!! That seemed overly expensive to me and I would like to try and book myself - my initial hesitation in doing this was that we don't speak/read Japanese or know our way around at all so thought it would be helpful to have the transport particularly in Japanese but that price is way more than I think is worth it.
We are arriving in Tokyo on March 13 and looking for transportation help to
1- get from Narita to Citadines (with bags so don't mind taxi for part of the way if it makes it that much easier
2- get from Citadines to Hakone
3- get from Hakone to Sunline in Gion
4- get from Kyoto to airport in Osaka
Do we have to book any of the transportation ahead of time?
Our main interests for Japan are to see the beautiful temples, sights and experience the culture as well as some touring around Hakone area to see the natural beauty (how do we get the Hakone pass and do you recommend it?)- we are also interested in seeing the hustle and bustle of Tokyo and some of the futuristic/techy stuff there.
Please let me know if you have any recommendations for half day tours in Tokyo and Kyoto (we thought this might help us get our bearings instead of going it alone?).
Also, we would be interested in booking Giesha/Maiko or kimono experience / cooking class in Kyoto so please let me know if you have recommendations.
Lastly, I think there is a sumo tournament in Osaka while we are in Kyoto - in your opinion is this worth the trip to see?
Thanks so much! Amanda
Japan - Help with transport/activities
Hi everyone, I'm new here!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Vietnam Itinerary - should I drop anything as too much
- 2 Golden eagle festival Mongolia?
- 3 Cost differences between spring and autumn visits to Japan?
- 4 India: A dream trip meets reality for me
- 5 Bangkok Jewelry shoping
- 6 Bali Question
- 7 60+ travelers to Vietnam, package tour or day tours?
- 8 There and back again: a conflicted (and reimagined) India Trip Report
- 9 Great place for a honeymoon destination?
- 10 Vietnam - Questions
- 11 Tokyo to Takayama or Kanazawa
- 12 Planning Japan Trip #2
- 13 A redhead in Vietnam and Cambodia
- 14 Thailand during the rainy season, have you been?
- 15 Osaka shopping
- 16 View from the plane arriving in Singapore then Bali from U.S.
- 17 Takayama ideas in April?
- 18 tips and ideas for 10 days in Sri Lanka, train travel, beach options
- 19 Bali Honeymoon. Got 3/4 places decided on, struggling on the last...HELP!
- 20 SW China or Myanmar for 2 weeks+ in NOV???
- 21 Sri Lanka February 15'
- 22 First Time Visit to Japan in November 2015 - Itinerary Review
- 23 Tokyo and Thailand in July
- 24 Ideas for an off beaten path trip in Burma
- 25 China's Direct Visa - Yet Another Vexation!