Hi everyone, I'm new here!
My fiancé and I are planning our first trip to Asia - we are going to Japan and Thailand in a month! We have booked hotels in Japan already:
4 nights Citadines Shinjuku
2 nights ryoken in Hakone
3 nights Sunline in Gion, Kyoto
I received a quote from a travel agent to book transportation and activities and it was over €2000!! That seemed overly expensive to me and I would like to try and book myself - my initial hesitation in doing this was that we don't speak/read Japanese or know our way around at all so thought it would be helpful to have the transport particularly in Japanese but that price is way more than I think is worth it.
We are arriving in Tokyo on March 13 and looking for transportation help to
1- get from Narita to Citadines (with bags so don't mind taxi for part of the way if it makes it that much easier
2- get from Citadines to Hakone
3- get from Hakone to Sunline in Gion
4- get from Kyoto to airport in Osaka
Do we have to book any of the transportation ahead of time?
Our main interests for Japan are to see the beautiful temples, sights and experience the culture as well as some touring around Hakone area to see the natural beauty (how do we get the Hakone pass and do you recommend it?)- we are also interested in seeing the hustle and bustle of Tokyo and some of the futuristic/techy stuff there.
Please let me know if you have any recommendations for half day tours in Tokyo and Kyoto (we thought this might help us get our bearings instead of going it alone?).
Also, we would be interested in booking Giesha/Maiko or kimono experience / cooking class in Kyoto so please let me know if you have recommendations.
Lastly, I think there is a sumo tournament in Osaka while we are in Kyoto - in your opinion is this worth the trip to see?
Thanks so much! Amanda
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 TRIP REPORT: Just returned from first visit to Japan!
- 2 2 Weeks in Japan July 2016
- 3 Bags are packed for Bangkok!
- 4 Bus travel Luang Prabang to Xishuangbanna. Anyone?
- 5 My new 10 year china visa
- 6 Elderly tourists attacked in Thailand
- 7 Layover in Hong Kong
- 8 Trip to Thailand - advice
- 9 Another South East Asian sojourn.
- 10 5 weeks in Japan - Autumn 2011 Trip Report
- 11 Italy from an Asian base
- 12 2 weeks in Java
- 13 20 Days In Japan: We survived Sakura!
- 14 Southeast Asia Itinerary Advice
- 15 Japan SIM / Phone Data Options
- 16 Shinkansen (Bullet Train) Kyoto-Tokyo---Step by step process
- 17 Delhi, India Hotels/Guest Houses
- 18 Handeda to Narita airports, train or bus?
- 19 Hotel with easy access to Itami airport
- 20 Bitchu-Matsuyama Castle Visit
- 21 5 days in Tokyo, late June with pregnant wife
- 22 Impulse 8-day trip to China - questions
- 23 suggestions for 2nd time to Vietnam itinerary
- 24 Update on riding elephants
- 25 Our really quite big adventure, Act 2: a short intermission in Hong Kong
Hi everyone, I'm new here!