Hi everyone, I'm new here!
My fiancé and I are planning our first trip to Asia - we are going to Japan and Thailand in a month! We have booked hotels in Japan already:
4 nights Citadines Shinjuku
2 nights ryoken in Hakone
3 nights Sunline in Gion, Kyoto
I received a quote from a travel agent to book transportation and activities and it was over €2000!! That seemed overly expensive to me and I would like to try and book myself - my initial hesitation in doing this was that we don't speak/read Japanese or know our way around at all so thought it would be helpful to have the transport particularly in Japanese but that price is way more than I think is worth it.
We are arriving in Tokyo on March 13 and looking for transportation help to
1- get from Narita to Citadines (with bags so don't mind taxi for part of the way if it makes it that much easier
2- get from Citadines to Hakone
3- get from Hakone to Sunline in Gion
4- get from Kyoto to airport in Osaka
Do we have to book any of the transportation ahead of time?
Our main interests for Japan are to see the beautiful temples, sights and experience the culture as well as some touring around Hakone area to see the natural beauty (how do we get the Hakone pass and do you recommend it?)- we are also interested in seeing the hustle and bustle of Tokyo and some of the futuristic/techy stuff there.
Please let me know if you have any recommendations for half day tours in Tokyo and Kyoto (we thought this might help us get our bearings instead of going it alone?).
Also, we would be interested in booking Giesha/Maiko or kimono experience / cooking class in Kyoto so please let me know if you have recommendations.
Lastly, I think there is a sumo tournament in Osaka while we are in Kyoto - in your opinion is this worth the trip to see?
Thanks so much! Amanda
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 How is "Vientiane" Pronounced?
- 2 Sri Lanka planning - advice sought.
- 3 A week exploring Hong Kong & Shanghai
- 4 Itinerary Help Japan
- 5 3-4 Weeks in Bali alone?
- 6 Connection time in Bangkok on separate tickets
- 7 November, March, June... Japan?
- 8 A hungry mouse's (very sweaty) adventures in the Land of the Rising Sun
- 9 Hong Kong - Tian Tan Buddha
- 10 Across Vietnam - Travel Guide
- 11 Vietnam/Cambodia itinerary
- 12 Japanese Alps, JR option, Kamakura - more advice gratefully accepted!
- 13 Silk Road Tour - China
- 14 Family trip to Japan in November '17
- 15 Will 3.5 hours be enough for int’l to domestic transfer in Beijing?
- 16 6 weeks in Nepal, Bhutan, Borneo and more...
- 17 Canggu Surfing - Learn to surf advice
- 18 coastal Central Vietnam (Hoi An and Hue) trip report
- 19 Thailand Visa Concern for Stay Over 30 Days
- 20 Yunnan Province, China, Trip Report: May 26-June 10, 2017
- 21 Car and driver agra to jaipur
- 22 12 days in Thailand itinerary
- 23 Burma, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos
- 24 Japan rail pass: 7 or 14 days? Itinerary set
- 25 The best time for hiking in Yakushima
Hi everyone, I'm new here!