It's going to be my first time visiting Japan this November (it's been the #1 place I've wanted to travel for a long time so I'm very excited) and I could use some advice! I'm going with my girlfriend, we're both 26 years old and more interested in cities/towns such as Kyoto and Kanazawa as well as places immersed in nature or tradition such as Mt. Koya, Mt. Hiei, or Jigokudani Monkey Park. We're also obviously excited to see Tokyo and the other well-known areas of Japan. I've done a lot of research but I'm still not so sure about the route I'm considering and would love some advice. I don't want to be rushed - I would rather enjoy less things fully than try to jam a ton into too little time. Here's my rough itinerary:
11/5 - Arrive Tokyo
11/6 - Tokyo
11/7 - Tokyo
11/8 - Tokyo (Kamakura+Yokohama day trip)
11/9 - Tokyo (Hakone day trip)
11/10 - Travel to Nikko (stay overnight)
11/11 - Travel to Takaragawa Onsen (stay overnight)
11/12 - Travel to Matsumoto (visit castle and Jigokudani Yaen-koen National Park)
11/13 - Travel to Takayama
11/14 - Travel to Kanazawa
11/15 - Kanazawa
11/16- Travel to Kyoto
11/17 - Kyoto
11/18 - Kyoto (Nara day trip)
11/19 - Kyoto (Enryakuji/Mt. Hiei day trip)
11/20 - Osaka => Koya-san (stay overnight at Mt. Koya)
11/21 - Koya-san to Osaka => Himeji => Hiroshima
11/22 - Hiroshima (Miyajima day trip)
11/23 - Fukuoka (fly to Bangkok)
I haven't booked my flight to Bangkok yet so I'm willing to tag on an extra day or two if it seems necessary. I'm most excited about Kyoto so do you think I should stay another day there?
Is the routing ok or is there a more efficient way? Would you add or take away days anywhere? Any places highly recommended that I've left off? I'd love to see Naoshima if there's time as well as Site of Reversible Destiny in Yoro outside of Nagoya.
All advice welcome. Thanks!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 International Bank Accounts. Have you done this?
- 2 Tasting Sri Lanka
- 3 Good fare for US west coast to Japan?
- 4 Buying jewelry in India
- 5 Bangkok hotels/neighborhoods
- 6 travel in Vietnam for for Hong Kong citizens
- 7 Help with SEAsia itinerary
- 8 Nywoman an older single traveler explores Taiwan and Japan
- 9 First time to Japan - tour or independent trip?
- 10 Hotel in Hanoi
- 11 Trekking outside Sapa
- 12 Hoi Ann hotel
- 13 Place to stay Hue
- 14 Three Week Trip to Japan
- 15 Need help filling out my itinerary
- 16 Water Towns near Shanghai
- 17 Four Days in South Korea (Incheon and Seoul) with Baby
- 18 6-8 Weeks in South East Asia
- 19 Go to Pai or not?
- 20 Thai Silk in Bangkok
- 21 The Princess Journeys To Sri Lanka and South India
- 22 Thai Island Itinerary
- 23 Thailand
- 24 Aomori to Hirosaki
- 25 Asian Pillows