First of all, for a first time poster, I'd like to thank you all for all the (already available) research that has helped me get this far in my planning! I'm thinking about North India as my first real foray into Asia (I've only been to Singapore for work..) with my husband in the beginning of September for my 30th birthday. We are a fairly adventurous couple, and are totally fine with seeing as.much.as.possible in a pretty short span of time.
That being said, we want to spent time where it's worth it. This is what I'm thinking, and I really need a sounding board / advice to see if I'm on the right path - see if I can/should cut anything out. Cost (between driving and trains), is not a bother to us, but we just want to make the most time efficient decisions where possible.
DAY 1: Arrive Varansai (after an overnight layover in Bombay) early Sunday afternoon.
DAY 2: Full day in Varansai. Hire a car (let's say 9pm Monday) to Agra.
I've looked at trains / flights as well, but the timing doesn't allow for a full day in Varansai, so I'm trying to be efficient here.
DAY 3: Agra arrival early (hopefully for the sunrise at the Taj)
Take the evening overnight train to Jodhpur (8:35pm - 6:35am) - Does this train actually often run THAT late?
DAY 4: Arrive Jodhpur. Stay overnight.
DAY 5: Jodhpur. Train to Jaisalmer (Thurs) at either 5:30pm or 11:45pm. Is there much difference between the two options?
DAY 6: Arrive Jaisalmer. Stay Overnight.
DAY 7: Camel Trek (sleep in desert overnight).
DAY 8: Jaisalmer - Udaipur via hired car (with leisurely stops along the way)
- See Kumbhalgarh Fort / Ranakpur Temple / Dilwara Temple
- Arrive Udaipur Sunday night
DAY 9: Udaipur. Stay overnight.
DAY 10: Udaipur back to NYC at 5pm.
I know I already have a lot here, but I've already decided to cut out some of the major cites (Delhi & Jaipur), and even some of the smaller ones (like Khajuraho) that all seemed really amazing. I'm looking for a comprehensive taste of North India in a short span of time (I know), and just want to make sure this makes sense. Any thoughts would be VERY MUCH appreciated for a newbie! Thank you!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Travel India solo
- 2 On the road again - to Incredible India.
- 3 Where to stay in Tokyo
- 4 Update on cash situation in India for imminent visitors
- 5 Hotel Suggestions - New Delhi
- 6 Bali in Feb. for nature & unique cultural perspectives
- 7 http://www.healthsupplementsreviews.info/no2-force-fx/
- 8 Tuk-tuk, songthew or taxi?
- 9 North India Itinerary advice
- 10 Indonesia travel agent
- 11 First time in India and Nepal-HELP
- 12 Osaka, aquarium?
- 13 2-3 weeks in Asia this fall
- 14 Seeking Help With My Sri Lanka And South India Itinerary: Rough Draft #1
- 15 Difference in staying at Dambulla or Habarana
- 16 Advice on Hainan Island?
- 17 Where to go for 3 days in SEA after business meeting in Singapore?
- 18 3.5 Weeks in Japan (First-time) Itinerary Help
- 19 Trip Report: First time in Thailand and Cambodia
- 20 A beach of choice on Samui
- 21 Krabi--Ko Tao--Ko Samui
- 22 Bangkok Taxis
- 23 3 weeks - first time SEA
- 24 Where to buy reading glasses and get a massage in Bangkok?
- 25 Heads up for US people trying to pay for Myanmar by cc from the US