I'm planning a solo trip, a first in Asia. My only other experience for the region is a group trip to Japan. As usual my trips have never been longer than 2 weeks so I'm not sure when I'll run out of steam here. I've been reading a few guide books and forum posts. I've made note have extra patience and always have places written down to show for directions/buying transportation tickets. : )
Travel style: I enjoy walking around, finding smaller streets and snacking on whatever looks good. Although I'm no expert, I appreciate interesting architecture and artwork. I like to take trips outside of the large cities to see rural areas and scenic hikes. I'm not big on clubs and a lot of drinking but I do like to have a drink with my meal. For accommodations-- budget friendly and clean within walking distance of sites. Prefer private room but willing to share as long as it's not a lot of people. I've used Airbnb in the past as the cost has been similar to hostels.
So is this itinerary looking crazy or what?
Day 1: Summer Palace
Day 2: Temple of Heaven park + Beihai Park
Day 3: Forbidden City + Tiananmen Square-- Is entering the square free? And then pay for different areas?
Day 4: Lama Temple + 798 Art Zone?
Other things... maybe another day added?
-Houhai (Back Lakes) - Nighttime walk
-Wangfujing Street - Night Market - for snacks
-Ghost Street (Gui Jie) - Show I eat here or just walk around?
-National Stadium / Bird's Nest at evening
-Hutong - walks
-Niujie Mosque (Ox Street Mosque)
-See a show?
Jianbing (savoury pancake)
Great Wall (2 days)
Jinshanling + Jiankou
[Train, 6 hours / overnight]
Datong to see Yungang Caves and Hanging Temple (1 Day)
[Train, 8 hours / overnight] Should I buy these tickets when in Beijing as well?
Pingyao (2 days)
[Train, 8-10 hours / overnight; There's a new (faster) train now right?]
Day 1: Walk/bike around the city walls + Great Goose Pagoda (outside area) + Shaanxi History Museum
Day 2: Muslim Quarter + Great Mosque + Bei Yuan Men 144
Day 3: Terracotta Warriors
Day 4: Hua Shan-- 1 day for hiking, stay overnight to see sunrise, then go back to Xi'an
At this point I assume a train will take at least a full day so I'm up for flying if the prices are not very expensive.
Day 5: Take a flight from Xi'an to Lijiang
Will I need to come back here to go to Hong Kong?
Tips-- Where to find and book tickets? What do I need to know about domestic flights-- Weight or size limit? Security? How early to get there?
Arrive and go to hostel near Tiger Leaping Gorge to rest up for the day before starting 2 day hike. OR skip it and continue to Dali... Save the hike for last?
Dali (1 day in town, 1 day bike riding around nearby Erhai lake/villages)
Day trips from Dali:
-Weishan / Weibao Shan
Shaxi / Qianshi Shan (One Thousand Lions Mountain)
Spend arrival day in town. Next day at Lions Mt and return to Dali
Train to Hong Kong?
Hong Kong (3 days)
I haven't researched much here. I'm sure there's a list a mile long. I'm thinking I'll be tired so I want a nice bed to catchup on sleep, maybe get a massage. Stuff my face with great food. Hop on a ferry to see the harbor views... wander around.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Review My 23 Day Japan Itinerary
- 2 Touring with Mentari Tour Jakarta
- 3 Bangkok - Pavement [sidewalk] obstructions
- 4 Narita Airport to Shinjuku
- 5 Tokyo daytrip
- 6 Upcoming friendly planet trip best of India and nepql
- 7 Looking for Ryokan in Hakone
- 8 Vietnam 15 day visa exemption - transfer included?
- 9 Thailand and Vietnam - February 2017
- 10 Confusion with LTE data with a Verizon iPhone 6 Plus
- 11 Please Critique My Itinerary
- 12 Does it make sense to stay at 2 Tokyo hotels?
- 13 A Netflix series for those who enjoy Tokyo
- 14 First time in Japan - itinerary feedback
- 15 Japan GTG, early April
- 16 Need help with Sri Lanka itinerary and hotels
- 17 Bali - What to do?
- 18 Recommendation for Season 3 of Chef's Table
- 19 Impressions of India
- 20 On the road again - to Incredible India.
- 21 Need ideas for 9 nights end of Feb. in Malaysia or Indonesia
- 22 Kuala Lumpur Advice - Tour Recommendation
- 23 Taiwan confusion..
- 24 Elephant Hills or Elephant Haven in Thailand?
- 25 Namaste India - Shopping/Money