My husband and I just returned this week from 2 weeks in Uzbekistan. We are a couple (from India) in our late 30s/early 40s living in NYC. Our names are NOT Ishaani and Ranvir, but that's what most everyone in Uzbekistan called us during our time there. Why? Because, as we soon discovered, there are the lead characters in a very popular Indian soap/TV serial that airs every evening at 7pm and watched by every Uzbek. Everywhere we went, we heard murmurs of Ishaani all around us. We were treated like celebrities and posed for more pictures with locals that we can count - both old and young, men and women and giggling teenage girls, with some women going so far as to hold on tightly to my husband. It was all very entertaining and fun.
I'll be back with a trip report soon, but wanted to go ahead and post a video of a Mongolian quartet playing soulful chanting music at the Sharq International Music Festival that we were lucky to catch at the Registan in Samarkand - beautiful music in a stunning setting. Hope you enjoy.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Get the products and services directly from the godown
- 2 LGBT tour service and personal tour guide in Taiwan!
- 3 Twin rooms in Japan
- 4 sri lanka- tips required
- 5 Googling to going...to Gujarat!
- 6 4 weeks trip to South East Asia
- 7 Palawan / Marshall Law... should we be concerned?
- 8 Central Asia: Itinerary Advice
- 9 6 weeks in Nepal, Bhutan, Borneo and more...
- 10 Where to from Tokyo?!
- 11 Please critique my revised itinerary- July 2017
- 12 Impressions of India
- 13 Sri Lanka Association looking for volunteer
- 14 New Vietnam eVisa service
- 15 My Japan Travels - Follow-along with me
- 16 India - remnants of the British Raj
- 17 Hanoi, Vietnam 1 week
- 18 Go ahead...Eat the street food and buffets!
- 19 Christmas in the Alps
- 20 Nywoman single older woman goes to Japan
- 21 Is the Bennesse Naoshima Worth It?
- 22 Yercaud – Cheapest Getaway from Chennai
- 23 trying to fathom Chinese train travel
- 24 Laos or Kerala?
- 25 Yogyakarta, Java. Indonesian Cuisine! - Travel Report
"Ishaani" and "Ranvir" return from 2 weeks in Uzbekistan