My husband and I just returned this week from 2 weeks in Uzbekistan. We are a couple (from India) in our late 30s/early 40s living in NYC. Our names are NOT Ishaani and Ranvir, but that's what most everyone in Uzbekistan called us during our time there. Why? Because, as we soon discovered, there are the lead characters in a very popular Indian soap/TV serial that airs every evening at 7pm and watched by every Uzbek. Everywhere we went, we heard murmurs of Ishaani all around us. We were treated like celebrities and posed for more pictures with locals that we can count - both old and young, men and women and giggling teenage girls, with some women going so far as to hold on tightly to my husband. It was all very entertaining and fun.
I'll be back with a trip report soon, but wanted to go ahead and post a video of a Mongolian quartet playing soulful chanting music at the Sharq International Music Festival that we were lucky to catch at the Registan in Samarkand - beautiful music in a stunning setting. Hope you enjoy.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 "necessities" for India
- 2 50th Anniversary trip
- 3 Vietnam to increase visa cost for Americans
- 4 First time in India and Nepal-HELP
- 5 Changing planes at Dubai
- 6 The Mystic East - a tale of hot food, hot weather, airmiles and imodium.
- 7 12 x Day Itinerary- Please give me your feedback
- 8 14 days in Myanmar
- 9 DC to Dubai 3 nts, Tokyo 6 nts. Kyoto day trip? Itinerary thoughts?
- 10 Short trip to Myanmar
- 11 ATMs in Japan
- 12 US Citizen Vietnam Visa Help!
- 13 First time backpacking - 5 weeks in Vietnam, Lao, Cambodia, and Thailand
- 14 A Journey to Jagna, Bohol - Trip Report
- 15 "China Eastern Airline" is it really bad??
- 16 Gang rape in India. Again.
- 17 Mandalay questions
- 18 Guides ,Bagan and Mandalay
- 19 Asia Transpacific vs Pacific Delight Private Tour to China
- 20 Myanmaromestic flights and transport :cash :guide/travel agency i
- 21 3 Week Trip to Southeast Asia
- 22 Help - India take 2
- 23 Chiang Mai hotel with sweet attentive staff
- 24 CNX late arrival?
- 25 Trip Report: Pandaw’s cruise down the Mekong from China to Laos
"Ishaani" and "Ranvir" return from 2 weeks in Uzbekistan