My husband and I just returned this week from 2 weeks in Uzbekistan. We are a couple (from India) in our late 30s/early 40s living in NYC. Our names are NOT Ishaani and Ranvir, but that's what most everyone in Uzbekistan called us during our time there. Why? Because, as we soon discovered, there are the lead characters in a very popular Indian soap/TV serial that airs every evening at 7pm and watched by every Uzbek. Everywhere we went, we heard murmurs of Ishaani all around us. We were treated like celebrities and posed for more pictures with locals that we can count - both old and young, men and women and giggling teenage girls, with some women going so far as to hold on tightly to my husband. It was all very entertaining and fun.
I'll be back with a trip report soon, but wanted to go ahead and post a video of a Mongolian quartet playing soulful chanting music at the Sharq International Music Festival that we were lucky to catch at the Registan in Samarkand - beautiful music in a stunning setting. Hope you enjoy.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 http://skincaresfreetrial.com/jeune-fleur/
- 2 First time to India
- 3 6 Seater for your safe and comfort trip in Sri Lanka
- 4 Help with itinerary please, 10 days Japan
- 5 Sri Lanka planning - advice sought.
- 6 First time getting out of the country
- 7 Bali & Flores or Sulawesi for first trip to Indonesia!
- 8 Three days in Siem Reap, Two in Phnom Penh
- 9 To see the Himalayas in 10 days?
- 10 Start in Tokyo or Kyoto?
- 11 Will 3.5 hours be enough for int’l to domestic transfer in Beijing?
- 12 Travelling in Japan for 3 weeks - advice.
- 13 Connection time in Bangkok on separate tickets
- 14 5 days in Davao or Osaka
- 15 Planning my Philippines trip
- 16 Trekking & Camping at Nagalapuram
- 17 Travelling the Silk Road - Trip Report
- 18 Across Uzbekistan with MIR
- 19 A week exploring Hong Kong & Shanghai
- 20 Kyoto airbnb/vrbo reco?
- 21 A hungry mouse's (very sweaty) adventures in the Land of the Rising Sun
- 22 Surgery at Bumrungrad?
- 23 The Best of Bagan - Travel Report
- 24 Japanese Alps, JR option, Kamakura - more advice gratefully accepted!
- 25 Train or Bus from Nikko, Hakone, etc
"Ishaani" and "Ranvir" return from 2 weeks in Uzbekistan