I am in the process of planning a long trip to Asia. some of the pieces are in place. we arrive in Vietnam late May and will spend most of June there. We leave for Australia and New Zealand 22 August the weeks before that we plan on working our way up through Malaysia and Thailand by train with side trips to Taman Negara and the Perhentian islands before flying from Bangkok to Sydney.
We will have a month from late June tp Late July unaccounted for and I am thinking of a return to Indonesia (after the end of Ramadan!). Based on our experiences getting around Java a couple of years ago, I am keen to cut down on travel hassles by not moving around too much and plan on staying longer, in fewer places.
My initial thoughts include:
Fly into Medan (maybe spend a couple of days there unless it is anything like Jakarta!)
- Bus to Bukit Lawang for Gunung Leuser NP for trekking and Orangutans - maybe stay 5 days
- bus to Berastagi for Lake Toba & Pulau Samosir and the Karo highlands 5 -10 days
Flores, Komodo and Rinca
From what I have read this seems to be one of the most scenically interesting regions, volcanoes, forests, beaches, diving etc. flying into Ende and working back to Labuanbajo with side trips to Rinca for diving and dragons seems to be a logical route.
Sulawesi seems interesting but it does seem a vast place and not especially easy to get around. the places that i and drawn to based on some initial reading are mainly Tana Toraja (funerals) and Bunaken/Manado for diving. seems a long way to travel just for those two things - am i missing something?
I have discounted a return to Bali as we have spent a fair amount of time there. Lombok and the Gili islands we have not visited but i fear it may be too late. The other place I briefly looked at was Kalimantan - loved Malaysian Borneo - is Kalimantan worth considering
Any thoughts or input would be much appreciated as i am struggling to make a decision!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 JFK to BKK sale on Qatar
- 2 Advice Request: Japan Rail Pass for Two Weeks
- 3 Possible itinerary - 4 days in Georgia
- 4 Delhi private guide
- 5 Pakistan Forum/ Unfriendly
- 6 November Onsen
- 7 Bangkok hotels/neighborhoods
- 8 3 days with snow monkey visit.
- 9 Thai Elephants
- 10 Cancelling trip to Burma; seeking advice for outskirts of Bangkok
- 11 Mumbai short visit
- 12 Best location for snorkelling/ beach/ quiet resort/ great Thai food
- 13 Phuket Beaches
- 14 For those traveling to Bali soon
- 15 Is it safe to travel Hong Kong in Oct?
- 16 Feedback on Kyushu itinerary
- 17 Japan Itinerary!
- 18 What are some hidden gems in Hong Kong?
- 19 Japan Itinerary for 12 Nights and 13 Days
- 20 Thailand Guides
- 21 Bangkok in 3 days - Weekdays
- 22 Experiance /More Than 120 Countries
- 23 Wild China vs Travel Guide China (or the like)
- 24 India itinerary critique please
- 25 A short trip report of Vietnam, Dec 2016