I am in the process of planning a long trip to Asia. some of the pieces are in place. we arrive in Vietnam late May and will spend most of June there. We leave for Australia and New Zealand 22 August the weeks before that we plan on working our way up through Malaysia and Thailand by train with side trips to Taman Negara and the Perhentian islands before flying from Bangkok to Sydney.
We will have a month from late June tp Late July unaccounted for and I am thinking of a return to Indonesia (after the end of Ramadan!). Based on our experiences getting around Java a couple of years ago, I am keen to cut down on travel hassles by not moving around too much and plan on staying longer, in fewer places.
My initial thoughts include:
Fly into Medan (maybe spend a couple of days there unless it is anything like Jakarta!)
- Bus to Bukit Lawang for Gunung Leuser NP for trekking and Orangutans - maybe stay 5 days
- bus to Berastagi for Lake Toba & Pulau Samosir and the Karo highlands 5 -10 days
Flores, Komodo and Rinca
From what I have read this seems to be one of the most scenically interesting regions, volcanoes, forests, beaches, diving etc. flying into Ende and working back to Labuanbajo with side trips to Rinca for diving and dragons seems to be a logical route.
Sulawesi seems interesting but it does seem a vast place and not especially easy to get around. the places that i and drawn to based on some initial reading are mainly Tana Toraja (funerals) and Bunaken/Manado for diving. seems a long way to travel just for those two things - am i missing something?
I have discounted a return to Bali as we have spent a fair amount of time there. Lombok and the Gili islands we have not visited but i fear it may be too late. The other place I briefly looked at was Kalimantan - loved Malaysian Borneo - is Kalimantan worth considering
Any thoughts or input would be much appreciated as i am struggling to make a decision!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 base bangkok or manilla
- 2 Christmas in the Alps
- 3 Change my Itinerary?
- 4 New Vietnam eVisa service
- 5 6 weeks in Nepal, Bhutan, Borneo and more...
- 6 Twin rooms in Japan
- 7 Palawan / Marshall Law... should we be concerned?
- 8 Googling to going...to Gujarat!
- 9 sri lanka- tips required
- 10 4 weeks trip to South East Asia
- 11 Central Asia: Itinerary Advice
- 12 Where to from Tokyo?!
- 13 Please critique my revised itinerary- July 2017
- 14 Impressions of India
- 15 Sri Lanka Association looking for volunteer
- 16 My Japan Travels - Follow-along with me
- 17 India - remnants of the British Raj
- 18 Hanoi, Vietnam 1 week
- 19 Go ahead...Eat the street food and buffets!
- 20 Nywoman single older woman goes to Japan
- 21 Is the Bennesse Naoshima Worth It?
- 22 Yercaud – Cheapest Getaway from Chennai
- 23 trying to fathom Chinese train travel
- 24 Laos or Kerala?
- 25 Yogyakarta, Java. Indonesian Cuisine! - Travel Report