In a significant step towards liberalization of the visa regime, the government on Wednesday cleared two initiatives: visa on arrival and electronic travel authorization for all countries barring eight "prior reference'' countries including Pakistan, Iran, Sri Lanka and China.
ETA will allow foreign travelers to apply for a visa from home and receive an online confirmation in five working days.
Visa-on-arrival at 9 airports initially
The extension of visa-on-arrival and electronic travel authorization to citizens of 180 countries will be implemented initially at nine airports including Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Cochin, Hyderabad, Goa and Trivandrum. Both facilities are likely to be implemented by the end of the year.
India currently offers visa-on-arrival to tourists from 11 countries like Finland, the Philippines, Singapore and Japan. The decision was taken in a meeting convened by the Planning Commission that included representatives from the PMO, ministries of home affairs, external affairs and tourism.
ETA will be available for a 30-day period from the date of the tourist's arrival in India while VoA will also be for the same period for a single entry.
The move, aimed at boosting the tourism sector, would not need the Cabinet's nod, Shukla said, adding that the home ministry would notify the same at an appropriate time.
"The facility will provide a major boost to the country's tourism sector. This is historic," Shukla said.
A separate website would be set up for extending the facility to foreigners intending to visit India as tourists.
To get a visa, they would need to apply on the designated website along with the required fees. They would be granted an electronic version of the visa within three days.
India extends visa-on-arrival facility to 180 countries
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 beaches in Thailand
- 2 Krabi island tours
- 3 RHKKMKs---Just to be copy cats
- 4 Anatara Riverside Bangkok
- 5 Effectively its absolutely appeared using a beneficial
- 6 Hong Kong Winter Weather
- 7 Trying To Decide Between These 2 Hotels In Singapore
- 8 rkkwan's Nepal trip Sept 2014 - Kathmandu, Pokhara, Poon Hill Trek
- 9 Need help with Myanmar itinerary
- 10 My SEA trip : 2 months
- 11 Hong Kong Island Hotels - Far From Central
- 12 Travelling with 3 yr old; please comment on 10 day itinerary
- 13 Ryoken recommendation pls either in Tokyo;Hiroshima;Kyoto?
- 14 A little help with my Burma plan..
- 15 Travel & leisure reports Burma as one of most dangerous countries to visit
- 16 Staying 3 nights in Jaisalmer, what attractions we should see
- 17 3 1/2 weeks in Japan. Do I need dinner reservations anywhere?
- 18 Planning First Family Trip to Japan - Advice Needed!
- 19 Kyushu rail pass
- 20 6 full days in Yagoon
- 21 Juphal and dunai help needed
- 22 Feedback on Thailand/SE Asia initial itinerary w/ kids
- 23 2 Weeks Thailand Honeymoon
- 24 Plans for Nepal/Bhutan continued: how does this sound??
- 25 A question concerning Sri Lanka's rainfall in Jan.