In a significant step towards liberalization of the visa regime, the government on Wednesday cleared two initiatives: visa on arrival and electronic travel authorization for all countries barring eight "prior reference'' countries including Pakistan, Iran, Sri Lanka and China.
ETA will allow foreign travelers to apply for a visa from home and receive an online confirmation in five working days.
Visa-on-arrival at 9 airports initially
The extension of visa-on-arrival and electronic travel authorization to citizens of 180 countries will be implemented initially at nine airports including Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Cochin, Hyderabad, Goa and Trivandrum. Both facilities are likely to be implemented by the end of the year.
India currently offers visa-on-arrival to tourists from 11 countries like Finland, the Philippines, Singapore and Japan. The decision was taken in a meeting convened by the Planning Commission that included representatives from the PMO, ministries of home affairs, external affairs and tourism.
ETA will be available for a 30-day period from the date of the tourist's arrival in India while VoA will also be for the same period for a single entry.
The move, aimed at boosting the tourism sector, would not need the Cabinet's nod, Shukla said, adding that the home ministry would notify the same at an appropriate time.
"The facility will provide a major boost to the country's tourism sector. This is historic," Shukla said.
A separate website would be set up for extending the facility to foreigners intending to visit India as tourists.
To get a visa, they would need to apply on the designated website along with the required fees. They would be granted an electronic version of the visa within three days.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 A train ride through Java
- 2 10-hr layover in Tokyo this Friday, new to JPN
- 3 Bangkok, Angkor, Hanoi: Questions
- 4 Malaysia 2 weeks in December
- 5 Japan Trip 3 - Initial Loose Planning
- 6 Christian (white) husband traveling with Muslim (Indian) wife
- 7 Japan Itinerary Help Please! 4.5-4.17
- 8 Bangkok, day tours.
- 9 SW CHINA itinerary - Advise PLEASE!
- 10 Recommendation of a hotel in Hong Kong and Macau
- 11 Looking for a hotel in Singapore, what areas should I avoid?
- 12 Travel to Philippines for Business - Health Concerns
- 13 Sri Lanka east cost beaches
- 14 Indonesia, Hello Bali
- 15 Kyushu in late September
- 16 Georgia e-visa application
- 17 Help on Planning my next year itinerary
- 18 Bangkok, buffet restaurants.
- 19 Shanghai, Xi'an, Beijing
- 20 My First India Trip
- 21 Indonesia for 10 days with kids
- 22 Myanmar- Popular Sights and even a few hospitals!
- 23 Is luggage check through available between silk air and air china
- 24 TMI re Northern Vietnam rural "homestays"?
- 25 Is it worth going to Phuket or Krabi in July and August?