In a significant step towards liberalization of the visa regime, the government on Wednesday cleared two initiatives: visa on arrival and electronic travel authorization for all countries barring eight "prior reference'' countries including Pakistan, Iran, Sri Lanka and China.
ETA will allow foreign travelers to apply for a visa from home and receive an online confirmation in five working days.
Visa-on-arrival at 9 airports initially
The extension of visa-on-arrival and electronic travel authorization to citizens of 180 countries will be implemented initially at nine airports including Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Cochin, Hyderabad, Goa and Trivandrum. Both facilities are likely to be implemented by the end of the year.
India currently offers visa-on-arrival to tourists from 11 countries like Finland, the Philippines, Singapore and Japan. The decision was taken in a meeting convened by the Planning Commission that included representatives from the PMO, ministries of home affairs, external affairs and tourism.
ETA will be available for a 30-day period from the date of the tourist's arrival in India while VoA will also be for the same period for a single entry.
The move, aimed at boosting the tourism sector, would not need the Cabinet's nod, Shukla said, adding that the home ministry would notify the same at an appropriate time.
"The facility will provide a major boost to the country's tourism sector. This is historic," Shukla said.
A separate website would be set up for extending the facility to foreigners intending to visit India as tourists.
To get a visa, they would need to apply on the designated website along with the required fees. They would be granted an electronic version of the visa within three days.
India extends visa-on-arrival facility to 180 countries
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Feedback on Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia Itinerary, Please!
- 2 Tokyo Map Recommendation
- 3 Yangshuo or Tiger Leaping Gorge -- bad idea in the winter over Christmas?
- 4 Planning for Nov/Dec trip to Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, LP, Hanoi via HK
- 5 Kashmir first week of June onwards, a few concerns
- 6 Anantara Riverside Bangkok
- 7 Bali , camboidia, Laos itinerary - please tweak
- 8 Planning trip to India, have a couple of questions
- 9 Travel in India: Some Observations and Impressions
- 10 Asia Tour Companies
- 11 Inida- scenic places, national parks, where to go?
- 12 thai air Discovery pass question
- 13 Spending a Week in Bangalore-Any Ideas?
- 14 21 days thailand and vietnam
- 15 India...Men's shorts OK?
- 16 Kllok Travel for Hong Kong. Anybody use it?
- 17 Car rental recommendation - Kanazawa
- 18 Angkor Wat guide
- 19 Visa for Burma/Myanmar from US Embassy in DC?
- 20 CAMBODIA to VIETNAM
- 21 Delhi hotel & Pickup
- 22 2015 Cherry Blossom Forecast Published
- 23 Restaurant and Shopping Recs in Hong Kong, Shanghai, Seoul, Tokyo
- 24 Samui Travelers, Tell Me it is Safer Than What I'm Reading : (
- 25 Beware of Many China Job & Internship Scams Targeting Tourists