In a significant step towards liberalization of the visa regime, the government on Wednesday cleared two initiatives: visa on arrival and electronic travel authorization for all countries barring eight "prior reference'' countries including Pakistan, Iran, Sri Lanka and China.
ETA will allow foreign travelers to apply for a visa from home and receive an online confirmation in five working days.
Visa-on-arrival at 9 airports initially
The extension of visa-on-arrival and electronic travel authorization to citizens of 180 countries will be implemented initially at nine airports including Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Cochin, Hyderabad, Goa and Trivandrum. Both facilities are likely to be implemented by the end of the year.
India currently offers visa-on-arrival to tourists from 11 countries like Finland, the Philippines, Singapore and Japan. The decision was taken in a meeting convened by the Planning Commission that included representatives from the PMO, ministries of home affairs, external affairs and tourism.
ETA will be available for a 30-day period from the date of the tourist's arrival in India while VoA will also be for the same period for a single entry.
The move, aimed at boosting the tourism sector, would not need the Cabinet's nod, Shukla said, adding that the home ministry would notify the same at an appropriate time.
"The facility will provide a major boost to the country's tourism sector. This is historic," Shukla said.
A separate website would be set up for extending the facility to foreigners intending to visit India as tourists.
To get a visa, they would need to apply on the designated website along with the required fees. They would be granted an electronic version of the visa within three days.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Namaste--Nepal trip report November 2015
- 2 Annual Fall Asia Trip
- 3 5 weeks in Japan
- 4 Tokyo Story's Setsuko Hara dies at 95
- 5 Kathie and Cheryl are off on another SE Asian adventure
- 6 TRIP REPORT: Just returned from first visit to Japan!
- 7 India trip report-brief recommendations
- 8 Myanmar- Popular Sights and even a few hospitals!
- 9 Lodge in Borneo
- 10 Best Singapore Sunday Brunch Hotel?
- 11 China and Japan help
- 12 Crossing Myanmar with own car (Thailand -> India) in Aug or Sep 2014
- 13 Trip report: Horse riding holiday in Sri Lanka – October 2015
- 14 First time – Solo - Japan 2016
- 15 Thank You Fabulous Fodorites, and some Upcoming Trip Questions
- 16 India - Bangalore, Mysore & Agra
- 17 Requesting Passport Number
- 18 Air India Versus Jet airways. Which is best for India
- 19 Kompong Kleang or Kompong Phluk?
- 20 Holiday in Cambodia - plus Myanmar for a wedding.
- 21 Planning for a trip to Northwest Vietnam
- 22 Phu Quoc
- 23 looking for Vietnam based TA to help plan trip
- 24 Advantage of using Smithsonian Tours
- 25 Help! India Visa question....