In a significant step towards liberalization of the visa regime, the government on Wednesday cleared two initiatives: visa on arrival and electronic travel authorization for all countries barring eight "prior reference'' countries including Pakistan, Iran, Sri Lanka and China.
ETA will allow foreign travelers to apply for a visa from home and receive an online confirmation in five working days.
Visa-on-arrival at 9 airports initially
The extension of visa-on-arrival and electronic travel authorization to citizens of 180 countries will be implemented initially at nine airports including Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Cochin, Hyderabad, Goa and Trivandrum. Both facilities are likely to be implemented by the end of the year.
India currently offers visa-on-arrival to tourists from 11 countries like Finland, the Philippines, Singapore and Japan. The decision was taken in a meeting convened by the Planning Commission that included representatives from the PMO, ministries of home affairs, external affairs and tourism.
ETA will be available for a 30-day period from the date of the tourist's arrival in India while VoA will also be for the same period for a single entry.
The move, aimed at boosting the tourism sector, would not need the Cabinet's nod, Shukla said, adding that the home ministry would notify the same at an appropriate time.
"The facility will provide a major boost to the country's tourism sector. This is historic," Shukla said.
A separate website would be set up for extending the facility to foreigners intending to visit India as tourists.
To get a visa, they would need to apply on the designated website along with the required fees. They would be granted an electronic version of the visa within three days.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Travel to India in May?
- 2 4.5 days in Singapore
- 3 Bags are packed for Bangkok!
- 4 Italy from an Asian base
- 5 A fun week in Bangkok!
- 6 Advice for a newbie!
- 7 9 days in Bali
- 8 Another South East Asian sojourn.
- 9 Bus travel Luang Prabang to Xishuangbanna. Anyone?
- 10 20 Days In Japan: We survived Sakura!
- 11 Advice for 8 days in Nepal
- 12 Are personal tour guides in Tokyo and Kyoto work the cost?
- 13 K2 Base Camp- Concordia Gondogoro La Trek, Unforgettable Experience
- 14 NYT article on Bangkok's River of Kings
- 15 Handeda to Narita airports, train or bus?
- 16 Delhi, India Hotels/Guest Houses
- 17 Air India Versus Jet airways. Which is best for India
- 18 Activation of JR Pass
- 19 Shinkansen (Bullet Train) Kyoto-Tokyo---Step by step process
- 20 2 Weeks in Japan July 2016
- 21 My new 10 year china visa
- 22 TRIP REPORT: Just returned from first visit to Japan!
- 23 Layover in Hong Kong
- 24 Trip to Thailand - advice
- 25 5 weeks in Japan - Autumn 2011 Trip Report