Just beginning to look at traveling to China next fall...and an article I've saved from CondeNast Traverler (2008?) "Iconic Itineraries: 12 perfect days in Classic China" extols the virtues of booking through Abercrobie & Kent's Hong Kong Ofc, specifically with Gerald Hatherly. I really like the sounds of this itinerary and wonder if anyone has booked through him or A & K's Hong Kong office. We really would prefer to travel independently, but I also don't want the hassles of trying to do this myself this time. I had originally thought of booking through one of the companies (Viking, Uniworld) who combine a Yangtze river cruise with a land tour, but now I"m reading that a river cruise is kind of a waste of time and not that great. We really hate bus tour groups so are reluctant to be part of one. I originally thought it was unavoidable, if we're on a river tour. All you China experts, please chime in! Thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Many Questions for 1st Japan Trip
- 2 Visiting a Country in Mourning
- 3 Japan Itinerary
- 4 Complete Asia Newbie - Phnom Penh Itinerary Ideas - Two Weeks
- 5 Vietnam to increase visa cost for Americans
- 6 Help with Kyushu itinerary appreciated.
- 7 Questions re use of Japan Rail Pass and Kyoto itinerary
- 8 Hong Kong - Travel Report
- 9 India for Softies : A slow comfortable tour around some of Northern India
- 10 Amakusa island help
- 11 Japan Trip Delayed
- 12 The Not-All-Golden Road to Samarkand
- 13 Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia -feedback on draft itinerary please!
- 14 Fukuoka: Tenjin vs Hakata
- 15 Month long SE Asia trip
- 16 Chinese New Year in Hong Kong
- 17 Itinerary help - Thailand 9D8N in Nov'16
- 18 Cambodia weather
- 19 Trichy to Ooty Trip with My Family
- 20 Weekend Breaks from Singapore
- 21 Sad News: The Thai King has died
- 22 Vietnam Itinerary Input, The country is so LONG!
- 23 Real Experiences and Travel Agency in Southeast Asia to choose
- 24 5 nights in Kerala or Chennai?
- 25 Is 1 hr 10 min layover in Narita enough?
"Independent" Travel w/ Abercrombie & Kent: Hong Kong ofc?