My husband and I are traveling to Japan in mid-May for 10 days. We plan on doing a couple of days in Tokyo and a couple in Kyoto. I wanted to finish the trip with something relaxing. Originally I was thinking of maybe a seaside ryokan. But the only place I really see close to Tokyo (since we have to fly out of there at the end of our trip) is Shirahama. So, here are my questions:
1. Is Shirahama a built-up city? I want a small, cute beachy scene or something with gorgeous turquoise water which I'm afraid I will only get in Okinawa (maybe next time!).
2. Should I consider mountain onsen/ryokan experiences instead of beach ones to unwind at the end of our trip? If so, what towns? It kind of sounds like Hakone is a good one except hard to get to.
3. Speaking of mountains, are there certain towns (I heard in the mountains) where it's easy to spot wild monkeys?
I'm trying to find a way to unwind that is somewhat nearby Tokyo as I want to spend a night or two of just relaxing before heading back on our flight and 20+ hours of travel. But, I'm not really into the cosmopolitan scene and we will have gotten our fill our city life from Tokyo in the beginning. Your suggestions? I appreciate any help you can give me!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Airport taxis in Bangkok
- 2 Vietnam - Sa Pa
- 3 Bali private driver recommendation
- 4 North India Itinerary advice
- 5 Myanmaromestic flights and transport :cash :guide/travel agency i
- 6 Do I need the rabies jab for bali?
- 7 6 nights / 5 days Japan itinerary
- 8 The Indian money crunch.
- 9 The truth about elephant tourism
- 10 Article on assistance for US citizens with difficulties abroad
- 11 Travel agent for custom tour of Japan
- 12 20 things to think about when interacting with animals in Thailand
- 13 Chiang Mai hotel with sweet attentive staff
- 14 3 weeks: solo travel to Thailand (with stop in Hong Kong and Tokyo)?
- 15 DC to Dubai 3 nts, Tokyo 6 nts. Kyoto day trip? Itinerary thoughts?
- 16 Kerala trip
- 17 E Visa for India?
- 18 1-2 months South East Asia
- 19 6 weeks: Thailand & Laos. Itinery review?
- 20 Help - India.
- 21 Nice article on Macau in the NYT
- 22 Our trip to Japan. Arigato gozaimasu
- 23 Halong Bay or Bagan?
- 24 Help w/Andaman Sea Itinerary
- 25 Are 8 days enough for this itinerary ?