Hong Kong Trip Report November 2015
Greetings from Hong Kong
This is a destination that has been on the bucket list for a long time, but for whatever reason always seemed unobtainable. This year due to our sad,sad dollar in Europe and cruddy exchange rate as well as stellar airfare for HK this endeavor was brought to reality. I don’t have much to report tonight, but a little rundown is certainly warranted. Now, I never go into flight or journey details of what it takes to schlep the hubs and I thousands of miles, frankly because it is how most think of childbirth regarding the struggle and pain that must be abolished by the memory in order for survival of the species. However, for those who know me, much stress, anxiety and trepidation was had anticipating a 16 hour flight. So, I must report- the flight was delightful. Trying to outwit the airplane Gods, we selected our seats 7 months ago- an aisle and a window. Well the aircraft stars were aligned because the only spare seat on the plane was the one smack in the middle of me and the Hubs. Additionally, whether a flight is 2 hours, 4 or 16-it really is no difference. A good book, a couple movies, several naps, 2 meals and several anti-anxiety meds (physician prescribed) and before you know it the wheels are touching down.
We arrived in Hong Kong in the veil of black night and evening sky with golden twinkling boat lights illuminating the harbor like a game of battleship. I have never arrived in a city in darkness and it does add a feeling of mystery to it. We took an uneventful taxi ride into the city, me in the back seat, taking in the overwhelming lights and palpable energy. The taxi driver sitting in what should be the passenger seat as we Americans know it- on the “wrong side of the road” as HK was once a under British rule until 1997. Lights pulsed from buildings as high as the eye could see, condominium high-rises flanked each side of the highway, my brain trying to take in the entire sensory overload.
We are staying at the Ovolo Central http://www.ovolohotels.com/en/hotels/hongkong/ovolo-central/ . This is a lovely hotel, modern clean and virtually every imaginary amenity you can imagine-including a free mini bar (including booze) restocked daily. We are on the 20th floor of this tall, slender, glass structure perched up on an elevated street. This is our home for the next 10 days.
A day and a half of travel really confuses one’s brain. Add a 13 hour time change and mood altering medications (prescribed by my Physician- people-and only for travel) makes decision making complicated. Sleep?Shower?Walk?Eat? After freshening up, we really wanted to get a lay of the land. So, we set out amidst all the activity of an energetic Friday night crowd. The buildings reminded me of a Jinga game, building after building on top of each other. We walked around while people spilled out from bars, snippets of conversations hung in the air and the overall humidity draped around my neck like a thick scarf. HK being a major metropolitan city contributed to the aromas that permeated the air. Indian food, Lebanese, pungent beer- all stirring up hunger that neither one of us were previously aware of.
Close to the hotel, actually next door was a cheeky, kitschy American diner-called The Diner http://www.thediner.com.hk/ . We sat in a red vinyl booth, with USA paraphernalia surrounding us as Laurel and Hardy served as background entertainment and ate –a Beet burger for me and Steak and eggs for the hubs. It was not bad, it was not great. Not what I would suggest on day one of an authentic Asian experience.
We are now calling it an early night tonight.
Tune in tomorrow for more tales of A girl, her hubs and a Suitcase
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 From Bali--Sumatra or Borneo?
- 2 Internship in Beijing - 4 weeks Where to stay?
- 3 A Food Obsessive's First Time Hong Kong
- 4 의정부안마ᑆ dbg35.com ᑃ대전안마∑의정부마사지/의정부건마※의정부안마
- 5 동두천안마ᑆ dbg35.com ᑃ광주안마☞동두천마사지/동두천건마§동두천안마
- 6 안성안마ᑆ dbg35.com ᑃ대구안마♤안성마사지/안성건마◇안성안마
- 7 이천안마ᑆ dbg35.com ᑃ부산안마▷이천마사지/이천건마♤이천안마
- 8 용인안마ᑆ dbg35.com ᑃ인천안마★용인마사지/용인건마◀용인안마
- 9 하남안마ᑆ dbg35.com ᑃ일산안마☆하남마사지/하남건마◁하남안마
- 10 의왕안마ᑆ dbg35.com ᑃ강남안마※의왕마사지/의왕건마▣의왕안마
- 11 군포안마ᑆ dbg35.com ᑃ서울안마§군포마사지/군포건마◈군포안마
- 12 시흥안마ᑆ dbg35.com ᑃ천안안마㉿시흥마사지/시흥건마⊙시흥안마
- 13 오산안마ᑆ dbg35.com ᑃ동탄안마♬오산마사지/오산건마♣오산안마
- 14 안산안마ᑆ dbg35.com ᑃ동두천안마♩안산마사지/안산건마¶안산안마
- 15 평택안마ᑆ dbg35.com ᑃ안성안마♭평택마사지/평택건마☞평택안마
- 16 Hotel Suggestions - New Delhi
- 17 광명안마ᑆ dbg35.com ᑃ이천안마∏광명마사지/광명건마☎광명안마
- 18 안양안마ᑆ dbg35.com ᑃ용인안마∑안양마사지/안양건마☏안양안마
- 19 Trip Report: First time in Thailand and Cambodia
- 20 On the road again - to Incredible India.
- 21 Is Halong Bay too touristy or still worth the visit?
- 22 Road Scholar tour in China
- 23 China in june-July
- 24 Driver for a 18 day trip in Sri Lanka?
- 25 Seeking Help With My Sri Lanka And South India Itinerary: Rough Draft #1
Hong Kong Trip Report November 2015