I'll be staying in HK for three nights this summer (first time there), and have narrowed down my hotels to two options: the Mandarin Oriental and the Island Shangri-La.
On paper, I prefer the location of the Mandarin - namely that its close to star ferry, LKF / Soho and the peak tram. On the other hand, I think aesthetics of the Island Shangri-La are much more unique (compared to the big chain hotels we get in the states), which is appealing. I also like the outdoor pool (given how hot it will be). I know either of these top notch, so I am really just nit picking here.
In sum, I think I like the vibe of the Shangri-La but the location of the Mandarin. I'd like to know if anyone has experienced both of these and has a preference, or if those familiar with the city think that the Mandarin's location is significantly better than that of the Shangri-La.
Also: I get corporate rates at these hotels, which is why I'm not considering any of the other lux properties in the city (so while I appreciate anyone's enthusiasm on another hotel, I'm really only focused on these two!).
Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Central Asia: Itinerary Advice
- 2 Palawan / Marshall Law... should we be concerned?
- 3 6 weeks in Nepal, Bhutan, Borneo and more...
- 4 Where to from Tokyo?!
- 5 Twin rooms in Japan
- 6 4 weeks trip to South East Asia
- 7 Please critique my revised itinerary- July 2017
- 8 Impressions of India
- 9 Sri Lanka Association looking for volunteer
- 10 sri lanka- tips required
- 11 New Vietnam eVisa service
- 12 My Japan Travels - Follow-along with me
- 13 India - remnants of the British Raj
- 14 Hanoi, Vietnam 1 week
- 15 Go ahead...Eat the street food and buffets!
- 16 Christmas in the Alps
- 17 Nywoman single older woman goes to Japan
- 18 Is the Bennesse Naoshima Worth It?
- 19 Yercaud – Cheapest Getaway from Chennai
- 20 trying to fathom Chinese train travel
- 21 Laos or Kerala?
- 22 Yogyakarta, Java. Indonesian Cuisine! - Travel Report
- 23 Bali & Singapore in October
- 24 Many Questions for 1st Japan Trip
- 25 Singapore hotel for 3 days