I'll be staying in HK for three nights this summer (first time there), and have narrowed down my hotels to two options: the Mandarin Oriental and the Island Shangri-La.
On paper, I prefer the location of the Mandarin - namely that its close to star ferry, LKF / Soho and the peak tram. On the other hand, I think aesthetics of the Island Shangri-La are much more unique (compared to the big chain hotels we get in the states), which is appealing. I also like the outdoor pool (given how hot it will be). I know either of these top notch, so I am really just nit picking here.
In sum, I think I like the vibe of the Shangri-La but the location of the Mandarin. I'd like to know if anyone has experienced both of these and has a preference, or if those familiar with the city think that the Mandarin's location is significantly better than that of the Shangri-La.
Also: I get corporate rates at these hotels, which is why I'm not considering any of the other lux properties in the city (so while I appreciate anyone's enthusiasm on another hotel, I'm really only focused on these two!).
Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
Hong Kong: Mandarin Oriental or Island Shangri La?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Travel agencies in India e.g. Legends and Palaces, Castle and King
- 2 1st Trip to Bali
- 3 China in 12 Days
- 4 Hong Kong in August - hotel question
- 5 two free days in Beijing
- 6 Japan - spending money?
- 7 Finally Going To Bali! Please Help With Flight and Alam Shanti Question
- 8 Karen and Tom - a romantic Vietnam getaway: ENGAGED!!!
- 9 Headed to Thailand this June/July--Help!!
- 10 7 days in Nepal, any suggestions?
- 11 Your thoughts on Nepal and how long to visit
- 12 water villages, shanghai
- 13 language problem in japan
- 14 Japan Itinerary and JR pass questions/China 72-hour Visafree question
- 15 Help with Malaysia itinerary
- 16 Private Guide in Chiang Mai
- 17 last minute plan to visit Sapa, Vietnam -- help
- 18 April in Bangkok, again!
- 19 Truly a one day suit in Hong Kong?
- 20 Haneda to Narita Layover : Need advice
- 21 North India trip report with Castle and King tour company
- 22 Please help me plan 3.5 weeks in South Korea
- 23 21 days thailand and vietnam
- 24 Good golf in Indonesia?
- 25 Getting down to details and welcome advice: Tokyo