I'll be staying in HK for three nights this summer (first time there), and have narrowed down my hotels to two options: the Mandarin Oriental and the Island Shangri-La.
On paper, I prefer the location of the Mandarin - namely that its close to star ferry, LKF / Soho and the peak tram. On the other hand, I think aesthetics of the Island Shangri-La are much more unique (compared to the big chain hotels we get in the states), which is appealing. I also like the outdoor pool (given how hot it will be). I know either of these top notch, so I am really just nit picking here.
In sum, I think I like the vibe of the Shangri-La but the location of the Mandarin. I'd like to know if anyone has experienced both of these and has a preference, or if those familiar with the city think that the Mandarin's location is significantly better than that of the Shangri-La.
Also: I get corporate rates at these hotels, which is why I'm not considering any of the other lux properties in the city (so while I appreciate anyone's enthusiasm on another hotel, I'm really only focused on these two!).
Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 How to Improve the Lives of Travelers
- 2 Third Time and Still Charmed: Kathie and Cheryl take a Pandaw Cruise
- 3 Seeking Help with First Trip to Japan
- 4 TRIP REPORT: Just returned from first visit to Japan!
- 5 Holiday in Cambodia - plus Myanmar for a wedding.
- 6 My visit to Thailand
- 7 Elephant Complex - A Beautiful New Travel Book on Sri Lanka
- 8 My visit to Cambodia
- 9 5 weeks in Japan
- 10 Japn tour 10 nights
- 11 Family Trip to Japan
- 12 Tour guides for Tokyo, Kyoto, Hakone, and Nara
- 13 timing of a Vietnam trip around Tet 2017
- 14 Annual Fall Asia Trip
- 15 proposed itinerary for 14 nights Feb. 2016
- 16 Air India Versus Jet airways. Which is best for India
- 17 My visit to Vietnam
- 18 Best place to replenish my Japanese currency?
- 19 Nepal
- 20 Namaste--Nepal trip report November 2015
- 21 Sunday Brunch in Thailand
- 22 What is the Facilities & Services of Maharajas Express Train?
- 23 Gutted!
- 24 Crossing Myanmar with own car (Thailand -> India) in Aug or Sep 2014
- 25 My visit to Lao