I'll be staying in HK for three nights this summer (first time there), and have narrowed down my hotels to two options: the Mandarin Oriental and the Island Shangri-La.
On paper, I prefer the location of the Mandarin - namely that its close to star ferry, LKF / Soho and the peak tram. On the other hand, I think aesthetics of the Island Shangri-La are much more unique (compared to the big chain hotels we get in the states), which is appealing. I also like the outdoor pool (given how hot it will be). I know either of these top notch, so I am really just nit picking here.
In sum, I think I like the vibe of the Shangri-La but the location of the Mandarin. I'd like to know if anyone has experienced both of these and has a preference, or if those familiar with the city think that the Mandarin's location is significantly better than that of the Shangri-La.
Also: I get corporate rates at these hotels, which is why I'm not considering any of the other lux properties in the city (so while I appreciate anyone's enthusiasm on another hotel, I'm really only focused on these two!).
Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 18.5 Hours in Singapore
- 2 David's First Draft Itinerary for Sakura 2017
- 3 A 6-week waking dream in North and South India.
- 4 options on 2 potential itineraries
- 5 For Fans of Gaggan Restaurant in Bangkok
- 6 Fodor's Boston GTG
- 7 Southern India 1st Time Mom/Daughter HELP
- 8 Honeymoon in Bali
- 9 Singapore or Hong Kong
- 10 Booking hotels for Japan in April 2017
- 11 GETTING A CHINESE VISA--PERFECTION REQUIRED
- 12 India E Tourist Visa
- 13 India 1st Time Itinerary Revised - HELP!
- 14 Choosing destination while travelling with infant
- 15 New Travelor
- 16 Beautiful location for painting
- 17 ASK FOR CHOOSING RESORT IN NHA TRANG, VIETNAM
- 18 The Lost Frescos of Rajasthan
- 19 2 Week Honeymoon in Singapore and Indonesia
- 20 Kyoto & Tokyo tips
- 21 Honeymoon in Thailan
- 22 19 Day Sri Lanka Itinerary - Advice Needed!
- 23 Train Travel in Thailand
- 24 base in Osaka or Kyoto question
- 25 Phillipines - Tour Companies