I'll be staying in HK for three nights this summer (first time there), and have narrowed down my hotels to two options: the Mandarin Oriental and the Island Shangri-La.
On paper, I prefer the location of the Mandarin - namely that its close to star ferry, LKF / Soho and the peak tram. On the other hand, I think aesthetics of the Island Shangri-La are much more unique (compared to the big chain hotels we get in the states), which is appealing. I also like the outdoor pool (given how hot it will be). I know either of these top notch, so I am really just nit picking here.
In sum, I think I like the vibe of the Shangri-La but the location of the Mandarin. I'd like to know if anyone has experienced both of these and has a preference, or if those familiar with the city think that the Mandarin's location is significantly better than that of the Shangri-La.
Also: I get corporate rates at these hotels, which is why I'm not considering any of the other lux properties in the city (so while I appreciate anyone's enthusiasm on another hotel, I'm really only focused on these two!).
Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
Hong Kong: Mandarin Oriental or Island Shangri La?
- 1 Trip report China
- 2 Shopping for hotels for Feb.
- 3 Robinson store/Bangrak, Bangkok - has it reopened?
- 4 Myanmar and Mt Popa
- 5 First time trip to Japan - Fall 2013
- 6 Plan On Finally Visiting Japan, Looking For Advice...!
- 7 Fresh Hearts and Egg Tarts: Our Silver Jubilee in Hong Kong & Macau
- 8 Xian Crystal Mooncake
- 9 Next trip: Sri Lanka & Maldives. Need help from the travel gods.
- 10 Thai Visa Options for longer/ multiple stays
- 11 Traveling on Makha Bucha in Thailand
- 12 Visiting the Huangshan Area Without Climbing the Mountain
- 13 Planning 1st trip to japan. Ideas?
- 14 Sketches from Japan - Autumn 2013
- 15 Bali -- Visa on Arrival
- 16 Car Parking at Uno Port
- 17 Indian Visa: Experience with BLS International?
- 18 clean,reasonable priced lodging in Orchha, Bodghaya, Khajuraho, Varanasi
- 19 Input on staying the Banyan Tree or Trisara while in Phuket?
- 20 Bangkok & demonstrations (2013)
- 21 New Year's Week in Tokyo- Advice Please!!
- 22 Andaman coast visit - is Phuket worth visiting?
- 23 Anyone in Bangkok
- 24 United Canceling NRT-BKK Flight?
- 25 Draft itinerary - appreciate some input