I'll be staying in HK for three nights this summer (first time there), and have narrowed down my hotels to two options: the Mandarin Oriental and the Island Shangri-La.
On paper, I prefer the location of the Mandarin - namely that its close to star ferry, LKF / Soho and the peak tram. On the other hand, I think aesthetics of the Island Shangri-La are much more unique (compared to the big chain hotels we get in the states), which is appealing. I also like the outdoor pool (given how hot it will be). I know either of these top notch, so I am really just nit picking here.
In sum, I think I like the vibe of the Shangri-La but the location of the Mandarin. I'd like to know if anyone has experienced both of these and has a preference, or if those familiar with the city think that the Mandarin's location is significantly better than that of the Shangri-La.
Also: I get corporate rates at these hotels, which is why I'm not considering any of the other lux properties in the city (so while I appreciate anyone's enthusiasm on another hotel, I'm really only focused on these two!).
Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
Hong Kong: Mandarin Oriental or Island Shangri La?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Buying loose sapphires in Sri Lanka
- 2 Southern India itinerary help needed
- 3 A Thailand holiday vacation 9 years in a row!
- 4 Hanoi driver wanted
- 5 Your favorites in south India & places you'd probably not recommend
- 6 vietnam and laos
- 7 narrow down destinations, Japan 2 weeks in April
- 8 2nd location on the beach
- 9 Help: 24 hours to change decision for award flight BKK-SFO
- 10 Safe to buy Sapphires in Sri Lanka
- 11 Thailand - Food recos
- 12 Seoul - Cuckoo rice cooker
- 13 First Time Solo Trip To Thailand Itinerary
- 14 Laos for the backpacker
- 15 The best way (or place) to see Mt. Fuji while staying in Tokyo
- 16 Single parent traveling to Thailand with a 4-yo son
- 17 Amazing Samurai Armor Exhibition
- 18 Thailand Hotel
- 19 Which Section of Great Wall? And add visit to Ming Tombs?
- 20 Best country to visit 1st time in Southeast Asia
- 21 Honeymoon in Thailand
- 22 One Week in Asia, First Time Trip to Asia
- 23 Can you HELP with figuring out United Miles and how to get them SF-Bangkok?
- 24 Bangkok: Shangri-La, Penninsula, Mandarin Oriental
- 25 Elephants in Northern Thailand