I'll be staying in HK for three nights this summer (first time there), and have narrowed down my hotels to two options: the Mandarin Oriental and the Island Shangri-La.
On paper, I prefer the location of the Mandarin - namely that its close to star ferry, LKF / Soho and the peak tram. On the other hand, I think aesthetics of the Island Shangri-La are much more unique (compared to the big chain hotels we get in the states), which is appealing. I also like the outdoor pool (given how hot it will be). I know either of these top notch, so I am really just nit picking here.
In sum, I think I like the vibe of the Shangri-La but the location of the Mandarin. I'd like to know if anyone has experienced both of these and has a preference, or if those familiar with the city think that the Mandarin's location is significantly better than that of the Shangri-La.
Also: I get corporate rates at these hotels, which is why I'm not considering any of the other lux properties in the city (so while I appreciate anyone's enthusiasm on another hotel, I'm really only focused on these two!).
Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 50th Anniversary trip
- 2 currency conversion
- 3 CNX late arrival?
- 4 Chiang Mai hotel with sweet attentive staff
- 5 The truth about elephant tourism
- 6 booking thailand trip with airfare and hotels?
- 7 Help w/Andaman Sea Itinerary
- 8 Do I need the rabies jab for bali?
- 9 20 things to think about when interacting with animals in Thailand
- 10 Help - India take 2
- 11 Article on assistance for US citizens with difficulties abroad
- 12 Trip Report: Pandaw’s cruise down the Mekong from China to Laos
- 13 Advice for treks/Peak climbing in ladakh end of June
- 14 is this a good travel plan?
- 15 6 nights / 5 days Japan itinerary
- 16 Phenom Penh
- 17 Vientiane Private Tour Guide suggestions?
- 18 Airport taxis in Bangkok
- 19 K2 Base Camp- Concordia Gondogoro La Trek, Unforgettable Experience
- 20 One day in Saigon
- 21 Vietnam - Sa Pa
- 22 Bali private driver recommendation
- 23 North India Itinerary advice
- 24 Myanmaromestic flights and transport :cash :guide/travel agency i
- 25 The Indian money crunch.