I'll be staying in HK for three nights this summer (first time there), and have narrowed down my hotels to two options: the Mandarin Oriental and the Island Shangri-La.
On paper, I prefer the location of the Mandarin - namely that its close to star ferry, LKF / Soho and the peak tram. On the other hand, I think aesthetics of the Island Shangri-La are much more unique (compared to the big chain hotels we get in the states), which is appealing. I also like the outdoor pool (given how hot it will be). I know either of these top notch, so I am really just nit picking here.
In sum, I think I like the vibe of the Shangri-La but the location of the Mandarin. I'd like to know if anyone has experienced both of these and has a preference, or if those familiar with the city think that the Mandarin's location is significantly better than that of the Shangri-La.
Also: I get corporate rates at these hotels, which is why I'm not considering any of the other lux properties in the city (so while I appreciate anyone's enthusiasm on another hotel, I'm really only focused on these two!).
Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Japanese Alps, JR option, Kamakura - more advice gratefully accepted!
- 2 Train or Bus from Nikko, Hakone, etc
- 3 Bali & Flores or Sulawesi for first trip to Indonesia!
- 4 A hungry mouse's (very sweaty) adventures in the Land of the Rising Sun
- 5 10 days in Sri Lanka - Travel Report
- 6 The Best of Bagan - Travel Report
- 7 Sri Lanka planning - advice sought.
- 8 A week exploring Hong Kong & Shanghai
- 9 12 days in Thailand itinerary
- 10 To see the Himalayas in 10 days?
- 11 November, March, June... Japan?
- 12 Itinerary Help Japan
- 13 3-4 Weeks in Bali alone?
- 14 Connection time in Bangkok on separate tickets
- 15 Hong Kong - Tian Tan Buddha
- 16 Across Vietnam - Travel Guide
- 17 Vietnam/Cambodia itinerary
- 18 Silk Road Tour - China
- 19 Family trip to Japan in November '17
- 20 Will 3.5 hours be enough for int’l to domestic transfer in Beijing?
- 21 6 weeks in Nepal, Bhutan, Borneo and more...
- 22 Canggu Surfing - Learn to surf advice
- 23 coastal Central Vietnam (Hoi An and Hue) trip report
- 24 Thailand Visa Concern for Stay Over 30 Days
- 25 Yunnan Province, China, Trip Report: May 26-June 10, 2017