I'm doing an 18 hour transit in HK very soon, which means I have 12 hours to spare exploring the city. I love culture and architecture--it would be my first time in East Asia! A) Any suggestions as to must-go places that's easily reached via public transport?
A quick Google on the internet brought me this list of temples--Chi Lin Nunnery, 10 000 Buddha Monastery, Wong Tai Sin Temple, Po Lin Monastery (because it's close to the airport) and Che Kung Temple. However, I'm not sure if it would be possible to do all these sites as well as spend some time on the waterfront to see the famous skyline--if someone can suggest an itinerary covering the best of these sites with a compulsory stop in Central Station at noon/afternoon (restaurant I have to go), I would really appreciate it!
I like free, but don't mind spending a bit e.g. museum ticket price for some cultural immersion!
B) transport: if I get the tourist day-pass, does that cover transportation from the airport as well, or do I have to buy the Airport Express tickets into the city before I can use the day-pass?
C) how long would it take for me to reach the airport from the waterfront? I'd really like to catch the view at dusk/slightly after dark and, of course, have enough time to catch my connecting flight, which would be around midnight.
D) Is HK pedestrian friendly if I need to cover short distances, e.g. 15 mins?
Appreciate any tips!!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Sri Lanka in 7 Days: highlights & lessons learned
- 2 10 days in Sri Lanka - Travel Report
- 3 Sri Lanka in 12 Days
- 4 http://www.topwellnesspro.com/zyalix/
- 5 Hike to summit of Mount Kinabalu
- 6 http://utrimcleanseblog.com/zyalix/
- 7 Bandhavgarh National Park - Garhwal Himalayan Expedition
- 8 TGS Tours Jaipur
- 9 So, why go to Vietnam?
- 10 Japan then Bali - Where to Fly In & Out?
- 11 The Not-All-Golden Road to Samarkand
- 12 Transportation to mt koya-san from Osaka
- 13 Suggest places in Uttarakhand
- 14 Tokyo and Kyoto in one week
- 15 Thailand Assistance
- 16 Jaisalmer or Ranthambore Nat'l Park
- 17 Good unlimited data for tourists
- 18 Clean hotel near BKK for early flight
- 19 Advice on itinerary Japan 12 nights
- 20 Japan Trip Suggestions - 14 day trip in April
- 21 Bangkok hotel - Feedback requested on specific hotels
- 22 Finding best Vietnam and Cambodia cruise in Mekong river for family
- 23 Not Really A Trip Report Kind of Trip Report (Japan 2016)
- 24 Japan Itinerary Critique and Suggestions
- 25 Another first-timer. Does this work?