I'm doing an 18 hour transit in HK very soon, which means I have 12 hours to spare exploring the city. I love culture and architecture--it would be my first time in East Asia! A) Any suggestions as to must-go places that's easily reached via public transport?
A quick Google on the internet brought me this list of temples--Chi Lin Nunnery, 10 000 Buddha Monastery, Wong Tai Sin Temple, Po Lin Monastery (because it's close to the airport) and Che Kung Temple. However, I'm not sure if it would be possible to do all these sites as well as spend some time on the waterfront to see the famous skyline--if someone can suggest an itinerary covering the best of these sites with a compulsory stop in Central Station at noon/afternoon (restaurant I have to go), I would really appreciate it!
I like free, but don't mind spending a bit e.g. museum ticket price for some cultural immersion!
B) transport: if I get the tourist day-pass, does that cover transportation from the airport as well, or do I have to buy the Airport Express tickets into the city before I can use the day-pass?
C) how long would it take for me to reach the airport from the waterfront? I'd really like to catch the view at dusk/slightly after dark and, of course, have enough time to catch my connecting flight, which would be around midnight.
D) Is HK pedestrian friendly if I need to cover short distances, e.g. 15 mins?
Appreciate any tips!!
Hong Kong 12 hours for culture--suggestions?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Recs for Tokyo hotels
- 2 Hua Hin or another family friendly beach?
- 3 Bangkok, Luang Prabang, Luang Say, Chiang Rai, Singapore (but no Siem Reap)
- 4 April in Bangkok, again!
- 5 Karen and Tom - a romantic Vietnam getaway: ENGAGED!!!
- 6 Japan night bus
- 7 Help..Want to hire a guide/driver for Golden Triangle
- 8 12 day split between Beijing and Shanghai
- 9 Please help me plan 3.5 weeks in South Korea
- 10 Problems at 12,000'
- 11 GOING TO SE ASIA , NEED HELP
- 12 Sixteen Day in South Korea
- 13 osaka to kobe frrom ship to ship
- 14 Spring trip to Tokyo and Kyoto -10 days
- 15 Best Time of Year to Visit Ko Samui/Krabi (Weather)
- 16 Which Putu in Bali????
- 17 Biting the India bullet...well, maybe...
- 18 Japan, japan
- 19 Have you stayed at Outrigger Laguna Beach Resort Phuket?
- 20 Flying from place to place in Asia - here's our plan with questions
- 21 Hong Kong restaurants
- 22 Hotels in Hong Kong
- 23 India for 2 weeks in December/January
- 24 Drinking cheap in Singapore
- 25 Has anyone done a houseboat trip in Kerala