I'm doing an 18 hour transit in HK very soon, which means I have 12 hours to spare exploring the city. I love culture and architecture--it would be my first time in East Asia! A) Any suggestions as to must-go places that's easily reached via public transport?
A quick Google on the internet brought me this list of temples--Chi Lin Nunnery, 10 000 Buddha Monastery, Wong Tai Sin Temple, Po Lin Monastery (because it's close to the airport) and Che Kung Temple. However, I'm not sure if it would be possible to do all these sites as well as spend some time on the waterfront to see the famous skyline--if someone can suggest an itinerary covering the best of these sites with a compulsory stop in Central Station at noon/afternoon (restaurant I have to go), I would really appreciate it!
I like free, but don't mind spending a bit e.g. museum ticket price for some cultural immersion!
B) transport: if I get the tourist day-pass, does that cover transportation from the airport as well, or do I have to buy the Airport Express tickets into the city before I can use the day-pass?
C) how long would it take for me to reach the airport from the waterfront? I'd really like to catch the view at dusk/slightly after dark and, of course, have enough time to catch my connecting flight, which would be around midnight.
D) Is HK pedestrian friendly if I need to cover short distances, e.g. 15 mins?
Appreciate any tips!!
Hong Kong 12 hours for culture--suggestions?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Thailand - Food recos
- 2 Buying loose sapphires in Sri Lanka
- 3 A Thailand holiday vacation 9 years in a row!
- 4 Amazing Samurai Armor Exhibition
- 5 Single parent traveling to Thailand with a 4-yo son
- 6 Thailand Hotel
- 7 Which Section of Great Wall? And add visit to Ming Tombs?
- 8 Best country to visit 1st time in Southeast Asia
- 9 Help: 24 hours to change decision for award flight BKK-SFO
- 10 Honeymoon in Thailand
- 11 The best way (or place) to see Mt. Fuji while staying in Tokyo
- 12 One Week in Asia, First Time Trip to Asia
- 13 vietnam and laos
- 14 Can you HELP with figuring out United Miles and how to get them SF-Bangkok?
- 15 Bangkok: Shangri-La, Penninsula, Mandarin Oriental
- 16 First Time Solo Trip To Thailand Itinerary
- 17 Elephants in Northern Thailand
- 18 JR West rail pass changes and new Nozomi pass
- 19 5 nights in Japan.
- 20 Great place for a honeymoon destination?
- 21 Is Boutique Sri Lanka out of business?
- 22 A week in Hong Kong with a 6 yr old-where to stay?
- 23 Seoul - Cuckoo rice cooker
- 24 Train vs Bus vs Taxi from Narita to Tokyo/Takkyubin service to Narita
- 25 BKK Airport Meeting Spot