We are planning on taking about a 2 week honeymoon from NYC in late February/March (flexible on dates, but January is not possible). I feel overwhelmed by the choices in SE Asia. Thailand looks beautiful, but we feel it's too built up/touristy. I definitely want to spend some time at an Elephant Camp, so I thought we would enjoy Chiang Rai but it looks like we could do this in Laos.
We like light hiking, jungles, animals, could do a few beach/pool days but we are not intersted in Phuket etc or a beach only place. We also are not intersted in Bangkok, KL etc for more than a day. We prefer nature to temples/culture or a built up resort area. We do not want to be 'roughing' it really- budget - pref no more than $400 a night USD.
Places that look intersting to us are:
-Chiang Mai (only at the recommendation of friends who honeymooned in Thailand)
-Chengdu in china (only for the Pandas)
Any thoughts, suggestions, etc GREATLY appreciated!!!!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Passport
- 2 Visiting a Country in Mourning
- 3 Japan Itinerary
- 4 "An appeal on behalf of a poor defenseless boy...."
- 5 Train vs Taxi from BKK to hotel
- 6 Complete Asia Newbie - Phnom Penh Itinerary Ideas - Two Weeks
- 7 Toddler twin travel in India
- 8 Chinese New Year in Hong Kong
- 9 India for Softies : A slow comfortable tour around some of Northern India
- 10 Many Questions for 1st Japan Trip
- 11 Vietnam to increase visa cost for Americans
- 12 Help with Kyushu itinerary appreciated.
- 13 Questions re use of Japan Rail Pass and Kyoto itinerary
- 14 Hong Kong - Travel Report
- 15 Amakusa island help
- 16 Japan Trip Delayed
- 17 The Not-All-Golden Road to Samarkand
- 18 Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia -feedback on draft itinerary please!
- 19 Fukuoka: Tenjin vs Hakata
- 20 Month long SE Asia trip
- 21 Itinerary help - Thailand 9D8N in Nov'16
- 22 Cambodia weather
- 23 Trichy to Ooty Trip with My Family
- 24 Weekend Breaks from Singapore
- 25 Sad News: The Thai King has died