We are planning on taking about a 2 week honeymoon from NYC in late February/March (flexible on dates, but January is not possible). I feel overwhelmed by the choices in SE Asia. Thailand looks beautiful, but we feel it's too built up/touristy. I definitely want to spend some time at an Elephant Camp, so I thought we would enjoy Chiang Rai but it looks like we could do this in Laos.
We like light hiking, jungles, animals, could do a few beach/pool days but we are not intersted in Phuket etc or a beach only place. We also are not intersted in Bangkok, KL etc for more than a day. We prefer nature to temples/culture or a built up resort area. We do not want to be 'roughing' it really- budget - pref no more than $400 a night USD.
Places that look intersting to us are:
-Chiang Mai (only at the recommendation of friends who honeymooned in Thailand)
-Chengdu in china (only for the Pandas)
Any thoughts, suggestions, etc GREATLY appreciated!!!!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Interestig article about Luang Prabang & UNESCO heritage appellation
- 2 Southern India here we come
- 3 Itinerary set for Japan trip #2: working on some details
- 4 Vietnam vs. Beijing
- 5 Seoul Searching Questions
- 6 Hidden puchasing gems in Bali?
- 7 Travelling in China during the summer period
- 8 2 months in Indonesia
- 9 First Trip to Japan in April 2016
- 10 last minute lodging in kyoto
- 11 Kampot/Kep- 3 days
- 12 Prehistoric sites in Java and Bali
- 13 Sinorama Tour-Oct. 1, 2016
- 14 I miss Mongolia
- 15 HK - affordable "outer" areas for accommodation
- 16 Visa on Arrival
- 17 Cooking Classes & Private Tours- Bangkok
- 18 Advice on Cambodia & Vietnam please.
- 19 Cambodia to Vietnam via Phu Quoc - visa question, please help
- 20 4 wonderful solo weeks in South Korea
- 21 Japanese art
- 22 Trip with kids. Singapore or Japan ??
- 23 Hong Kong - 3 nights/days - Itinerary Suggestions?
- 24 Which website to check train availability & cost
- 25 First time to SEA