I'm starting to plan a honeymoon for mid-October. We want to get to Bali (particularly the Ubud region has been recommended) and Siem Reap. Since flying to Bangkok is easiest, and between the two cities, we decided to explore it as well.
We have 3 weeks or 20-21 days, from Oct. 14 to Nov. 3 or Nov. 4, and a budget of roughly $8,000. I'm not overly familiar with SE Asia pricing, so I don't know if this is too low or not. We are prepared to dedicate 3-4 days to traveling between the three cities, but do not want to have to move again once we get to each city.
We are looking for relaxation for the majority of the time, but are very eager to see Angkor Wat and some other temples while we are there. We'd like a nice mix of relaxation and culture/history. We are also okay with resorts.
Does anyone have suggestions on an itinerary, hotels to stay at, etc.? Where will we need a guide and where will we not? Is it hard getting from the airports to the main cities? We are just beginning our planning, so any suggestions would be great. We are coming from Washington, D.C. in the states.
Finally, if budget doesn't allow us to get to Bali, we'd also be open to doing a more Thailand focused trip, and cutting out Bali, but not Siem Reap. Would Phuket, Siem Reap, and Bangkok be a good alternate? We'd like to limit our time to 3, at most 4 cities -- the more cities we cover, the higher the price will be, and the less time we will have to enjoy each city.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Annual Fall Asia Trip
- 2 Myanmar- Popular Sights and even a few hospitals!
- 3 Kathie and Cheryl are off on another SE Asian adventure
- 4 Lodge in Borneo
- 5 Best Singapore Sunday Brunch Hotel?
- 6 China and Japan help
- 7 Crossing Myanmar with own car (Thailand -> India) in Aug or Sep 2014
- 8 Trip report: Horse riding holiday in Sri Lanka – October 2015
- 9 First time – Solo - Japan 2016
- 10 Thank You Fabulous Fodorites, and some Upcoming Trip Questions
- 11 India - Bangalore, Mysore & Agra
- 12 5 weeks in Japan
- 13 Requesting Passport Number
- 14 Air India Versus Jet airways. Which is best for India
- 15 Kompong Kleang or Kompong Phluk?
- 16 Holiday in Cambodia - plus Myanmar for a wedding.
- 17 Planning for a trip to Northwest Vietnam
- 18 Phu Quoc
- 19 looking for Vietnam based TA to help plan trip
- 20 Advantage of using Smithsonian Tours
- 21 Help! India Visa question....
- 22 Singapore hotel
- 23 Splitting time between Hoi An and Hue
- 24 Indonesia in February/rainy season
- 25 Still contemplating SEA this winter and have questions