It has always been my dream to go to Tohoku to enjoy the autumn colors and the piping hot onsens!
We would like some advice about an intinerary that is simple enough so we can catch a train/bus and spend a few nights at a handful of areas preferably at a leisurely pace.
Can you recommend a few bases where we might spend 2-3 nights each, hike during the day and come back to the ryokan for the evening ?
We have never been to Nikko therefore would also like to include that either on the way up or back.
Is it safe to say that if we traveled mid-October we would be assured of the beautiful foliage in the mountains ?
I am grateful for any advice. Thank you !
hiking and onsen Tohoku in fall
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Restaurant and Shopping Recs in Hong Kong, Shanghai, Seoul, Tokyo
- 2 Rail passes for Nara-Kyoto-Koya-Karuizawa-Hakone-Kamakura
- 3 Japan in July?
- 4 2-week adventure to the far north mountains of Vietnam with Exotic Voyages
- 5 Part 2 - A major meander through Australia/Tasmania, Bali, Laos & Vietnam
- 6 6 Days in Bangkok - Itinerary Help!
- 7 From DC to Delhi and beyond
- 8 Vietnam and Cambodia - wonderful trip
- 9 Japan - itinerary advice - takayama or kanazawa?
- 10 2-3 days in Georgia
- 11 Tokyo and Thailand in July
- 12 Phuket and surrounding areas
- 13 Anyone visit an Orphanage while in Sri Lanka???-Want to help if we can
- 14 Elephants and Tigers (no bears), oh my.
- 15 Lone traveler to Japan in April
- 16 Kerala or Goa and itinerary help
- 17 I just got a ticket and I'm leaving in 12 hours!
- 18 Please help me decide on the night before my flight-Agra or New Delhi?
- 19 Question: Using JR Pass on Narita Express upon arrival
- 20 Hotel or Air First for Japan?
- 21 Guardian news story about security and safety in Maldives
- 22 2015 Cherry Blossom Forecast Published
- 23 Where to go on 2.5 week long honeymoon in late June/early July?
- 24 Japan beach resort with toddler in may
- 25 Trip report: 3 weeks backpacking across Indonesia