My Husband and I will be travelling to Japan for the first time this coming November 2012. We will be in the country for around 2 weeks, meeting up with a friend who lives in Tokyo (she lives just west of Shibuya, near a stop on the Keio Electric Railway), exploring the city for a few days and then moving on to other parts of Japan. I have been researching hotels in Tokyo and have come up with a few that meet our budget and have good reviews on several sites. I was wondering if anyone could comment on the selections and help me pick one.
-Citadines Tokyo Shinjuku - 10,000Yen/night ($133 Canadian) - Free Wifi In Room
-Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku - 10,300 Yen/night ($137 Canadian) - Wifi only in Lobby
-Hotel Century Southern Tower - 13,640 Yen/night ($181 Canadian) - Free Wifi in Room, bigger rooms, central but pricier than all the other options; unlikely to choose this hotel unless someone says it's really worth the extra cost
- b ikebukuro - 11,077 yen/night ($147 Canadian) - breakfast included, small rooms, only a shower (would like to be able to soak my feet due to a skin condition)
- Ryokan Sawonoya - 10,080 Yen/night ($134 Canadian) - has onsen, wifi, 5 min to subway or 15 minute to JR, not very central but more local experience
I like the idea of a Ryokan (esp. the onsen!) and a local feel, but seeing as we will most likely be visiting Kyoto on our trip, should we save this experience for there? As this is our first trip to Tokyo we will for sure want to experience some of the nightlife (a la Lost in Translation ) so would a more central location be better? I'm leaning toward the Citadines because you get a good amount of space for the money and it seems pretty close to Shinjuku Station (moderate walk or a couple subway stops). If anyone has any suggestions as to the best choice or,if I am way off in my selections, any other suggestions? Any help with making the final decision would be really helpful! Thanks very much!
(Additional Info about us if helpful: I'm 26 and my husband is 31. We don't know any Japanese yet. )
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam for 65 year olds
- 2 Natural Sights in Japan Near Kyoto or Tokyo?
- 3 A week exploring Hong Kong & Shanghai
- 4 Sri Lanka planning - advice sought.
- 5 Booking a train and pulling out my hair doing it!
- 6 First time to India
- 7 Help with itinerary please, 10 days Japan
- 8 where to stay in Busan
- 9 Surgery at Bumrungrad?
- 10 Thai Jungle Experience
- 11 K2 Trek - stunning! But be careful of irresponsible agency
- 12 Bali & Flores or Sulawesi for first trip to Indonesia!
- 13 5 days in Davao or Osaka
- 14 First time getting out of the country
- 15 Three days in Siem Reap, Two in Phnom Penh
- 16 To see the Himalayas in 10 days?
- 17 Start in Tokyo or Kyoto?
- 18 Will 3.5 hours be enough for int’l to domestic transfer in Beijing?
- 19 Travelling in Japan for 3 weeks - advice.
- 20 Connection time in Bangkok on separate tickets
- 21 Trekking & Camping at Nagalapuram
- 22 Travelling the Silk Road - Trip Report
- 23 Across Uzbekistan with MIR
- 24 Kyoto airbnb/vrbo reco?
- 25 A hungry mouse's (very sweaty) adventures in the Land of the Rising Sun