This year I was lucky enough to be in Kuala Lumpur during the annual thaipusam festival. This Hindu festival is marked by a procession where people carry kvadais (burdens) from a temple in the city to Batu caves and many are also pierced by hooks in the backs, through tongue and cheeks etc. Here are some photos and a video from my visit to Batu caves on that special day http://gardkarlsen.com/blog/?p=1004 . If you are in KL during thaipusam don't miss out on a visit to Batu caves as it is special to see this with your own eyes
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Two Weeks in Cambodia and Burma~Returning to the Old and Seeing the New
- 2 First China visit - bringing in my prescriptions.
- 3 RHK's Fall escape
- 4 Advice on itinerary Japan 12 nights
- 5 Japan then Bali - Where to Fly In & Out?
- 6 Hike to summit of Mount Kinabalu
- 7 Honeymoon in Vietnam
- 8 Anthony Bourdain - Parts Unknown in VN
- 9 Bandhavgarh National Park - Garhwal Himalayan Expedition
- 10 So, why go to Vietnam?
- 11 The Not-All-Golden Road to Samarkand
- 12 Transportation to mt koya-san from Osaka
- 13 Suggest places in Uttarakhand
- 14 Tokyo and Kyoto in one week
- 15 Thailand Assistance
- 16 Jaisalmer or Ranthambore Nat'l Park
- 17 Good unlimited data for tourists
- 18 Clean hotel near BKK for early flight
- 19 Japan Trip Suggestions - 14 day trip in April
- 20 Bangkok hotel - Feedback requested on specific hotels
- 21 Finding best Vietnam and Cambodia cruise in Mekong river for family
- 22 Not Really A Trip Report Kind of Trip Report (Japan 2016)
- 23 Japan Itinerary Critique and Suggestions
- 24 Another first-timer. Does this work?
- 25 rkkwan's Nepal trip Sept 2016 - Annapurna Base Camp (and more)