This year I was lucky enough to be in Kuala Lumpur during the annual thaipusam festival. This Hindu festival is marked by a procession where people carry kvadais (burdens) from a temple in the city to Batu caves and many are also pierced by hooks in the backs, through tongue and cheeks etc. Here are some photos and a video from my visit to Batu caves on that special day http://gardkarlsen.com/blog/?p=1004 . If you are in KL during thaipusam don't miss out on a visit to Batu caves as it is special to see this with your own eyes
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Tokyo Story's Setsuko Hara dies at 95
- 2 5 weeks in Japan
- 3 TRIP REPORT: Just returned from first visit to Japan!
- 4 India trip report-brief recommendations
- 5 Annual Fall Asia Trip
- 6 Myanmar- Popular Sights and even a few hospitals!
- 7 Kathie and Cheryl are off on another SE Asian adventure
- 8 Lodge in Borneo
- 9 Best Singapore Sunday Brunch Hotel?
- 10 China and Japan help
- 11 Crossing Myanmar with own car (Thailand -> India) in Aug or Sep 2014
- 12 Trip report: Horse riding holiday in Sri Lanka – October 2015
- 13 First time – Solo - Japan 2016
- 14 Thank You Fabulous Fodorites, and some Upcoming Trip Questions
- 15 India - Bangalore, Mysore & Agra
- 16 Requesting Passport Number
- 17 Air India Versus Jet airways. Which is best for India
- 18 Kompong Kleang or Kompong Phluk?
- 19 Holiday in Cambodia - plus Myanmar for a wedding.
- 20 Planning for a trip to Northwest Vietnam
- 21 Phu Quoc
- 22 looking for Vietnam based TA to help plan trip
- 23 Advantage of using Smithsonian Tours
- 24 Help! India Visa question....
- 25 Singapore hotel