This year I was lucky enough to be in Kuala Lumpur during the annual thaipusam festival. This Hindu festival is marked by a procession where people carry kvadais (burdens) from a temple in the city to Batu caves and many are also pierced by hooks in the backs, through tongue and cheeks etc. Here are some photos and a video from my visit to Batu caves on that special day http://gardkarlsen.com/blog/?p=1004 . If you are in KL during thaipusam don't miss out on a visit to Batu caves as it is special to see this with your own eyes
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 "necessities" for India
- 2 ATMs in Japan
- 3 First time backpacking - 5 weeks in Vietnam, Lao, Cambodia, and Thailand
- 4 A Journey to Jagna, Bohol - Trip Report
- 5 Four Best Sakura Sightseeing Places in Tokyo
- 6 "China Eastern Airline" is it really bad??
- 7 50th Anniversary trip
- 8 DC to Dubai 3 nts, Tokyo 6 nts. Kyoto day trip? Itinerary thoughts?
- 9 Gang rape in India. Again.
- 10 First time in India and Nepal-HELP
- 11 Mandalay questions
- 12 The Mystic East - a tale of hot food, hot weather, airmiles and imodium.
- 13 Guides ,Bagan and Mandalay
- 14 Asia Transpacific vs Pacific Delight Private Tour to China
- 15 12 x Day Itinerary- Please give me your feedback
- 16 Myanmaromestic flights and transport :cash :guide/travel agency i
- 17 US Citizen Vietnam Visa Help!
- 18 3 Week Trip to Southeast Asia
- 19 Help - India take 2
- 20 Chiang Mai hotel with sweet attentive staff
- 21 CNX late arrival?
- 22 Trip Report: Pandaw’s cruise down the Mekong from China to Laos
- 23 best singapore hotel
- 24 3 weeks: solo travel to Thailand (with stop in Hong Kong and Tokyo)?
- 25 is this a good travel plan?