This year I was lucky enough to be in Kuala Lumpur during the annual thaipusam festival. This Hindu festival is marked by a procession where people carry kvadais (burdens) from a temple in the city to Batu caves and many are also pierced by hooks in the backs, through tongue and cheeks etc. Here are some photos and a video from my visit to Batu caves on that special day http://gardkarlsen.com/blog/?p=1004 . If you are in KL during thaipusam don't miss out on a visit to Batu caves as it is special to see this with your own eyes
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Phuket Beaches
- 2 India itinerary critique please
- 3 Japan Itinerary!
- 4 Cancelling trip to Burma; seeking advice for outskirts of Bangkok
- 5 A short trip report of Vietnam, Dec 2016
- 6 Feedback on Kyushu itinerary
- 7 cross from Ketapang in Java to Gilimanuk in Bali
- 8 India for Softies : A slow comfortable tour around some of Northern India
- 9 Magical India
- 10 Best location for snorkelling/ beach/ quiet resort/ great Thai food
- 11 Need for promethium sprayed mosquito nets for SEAsia travel
- 12 Vientiane and ??
- 13 JFK to BKK sale on Qatar
- 14 Possible itinerary - 4 days in Georgia
- 15 16 days in Japan--how to divide time?
- 16 Wild China vs Travel Guide China (or the like)
- 17 Himachal Pradesh
- 18 Luggage size China ?
- 19 New Vietnam eVisa service
- 20 Thai Elephants
- 21 Is it safe to travel Hong Kong in Oct?
- 22 Myanmar in Five days - Advice please!
- 23 Sri Lanka in August
- 24 Self-drive in Thailand?
- 25 Japan/Korea/HK