My husband and I will be travelling in Thailand and Laos the first 3 weeks of July. We are in our 50's, in good shape and definitely do our best to have "authentic" experiences of the non-touristy sort (though we do like a bit of luxury when it comes to hotels).
We plan to spend 6 days based in Luang Prabang--decided not to do the drive to Vientiane. We'd love to hear suggestions on day and/or overnight trips that would be good out of LP. We know about the basics: the caves, the city itself, boat trip up Mekong; but if we want to go a bit further afield, what do you suggest? Also, for outside the city, any suggestions for guides?
We'd so like to hear from you--this is such an amazing forum with such knowledgeable and helpful travelers! Thank you for your thoughts in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 For Bangkok Lovers
- 2 Best Hotel in Hanoi Old Quarter
- 3 Osaka-Kyoto-Takayama -Kanazawa in 12 days with Kids Doable?
- 4 Halong Bay Trip Vietnam with kids
- 5 Spontaneous trip to Japan
- 6 Fodor's Boston GTG
- 7 Back to Bangkok this month!
- 8 Georgia and Armenia trip
- 9 BKK Street Food Disappearing per BBC
- 10 where is "Ba Hầm” in Hạ Long ?
- 11 India Trip Report
- 12 What is the best way to travel through Budapest, Vienna, and Prague?
- 13 Vietnam to increase visa cost for Americans
- 14 Uodated and Hopefully Final itinerary- Would love Feedback!!
- 15 Best places to photo-shoot landscapes and natural beauty
- 16 Four nights in Kanazawa + Noto Peninsula self drive + Shirakawago stopover
- 17 Visiting China - must be tour
- 18 Drive from Kanazawa to Noto Peninsula
- 19 relaxing 5-6 day vacation in sri lanka
- 20 6 months SE Asia and New Zeland
- 21 Japan - first timer - itinerary help please!
- 22 Another South East Asian sojourn.
- 23 Onsen ryokan for single near Tokyo
- 24 Need help choosing a tour company.
- 25 TRIP REPORT: Osaka to Hiroshima and in-between stops (tsuyu / summer)