I'm considering doing a gap year in Russia for six months from January 2014 (aged 18) and was wondering if some more experienced travellers could comment on the feasibility of my plans. At the moment I just have the big idea and need to explore my options.
I plan to spend four months preparing to go out there by learning Russian and reading as much Russian literature and history as possible. And also getting a job! (Sadly a first)
I would fly out to St Petersburg or Moscow. The intention is to have a job lined up out there (does anyone know any ways of making this happen?) and do that for any amount of time and just live and experience either one or both of these great cities.
With some money obtained I would then travel the trans-Siberian railway at a very leisurely place. I'm interested in doing some labour as a farm hand or whatever and living with a family. I would also like to do some trekking along the way and spend a while playing rugby at a club somewhere. Ultimately, I would go all the way through Russia and finish up in Beijing.
The big questions I have are thus: How much money do you think I will need? Will I be able to get a job out there? How much of the language can I learn in four months and if it is not much, will that be an obstacle? Is six months too long for a lone traveller? Is travelling for that long in Russia safe?
Any replies to those would be hugely appreciated. As I say, I've got what I think is a great idea but I'm just really unsure whether it's practical.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Are you looking expert packers and movers?
- 2 First time backpacking - 5 weeks in Vietnam, Lao, Cambodia, and Thailand
- 3 Are you looking Fiber Fusion Splicer?
- 4 Water treatment plants
- 5 Are you looking fusion splicing machines?
- 6 Are you looking supplier and exporter of Plastic Additives?
- 7 A Journey to Jagna, Bohol - Trip Report
- 8 Four Best Sakura Sightseeing Places in Tokyo
- 9 "China Eastern Airline" is it really bad??
- 10 50th Anniversary trip
- 11 DC to Dubai 3 nts, Tokyo 6 nts. Kyoto day trip? Itinerary thoughts?
- 12 ATMs in Japan
- 13 "necessities" for India
- 14 Gang rape in India. Again.
- 15 First time in India and Nepal-HELP
- 16 Mandalay questions
- 17 The Mystic East - a tale of hot food, hot weather, airmiles and imodium.
- 18 Guides ,Bagan and Mandalay
- 19 Asia Transpacific vs Pacific Delight Private Tour to China
- 20 12 x Day Itinerary- Please give me your feedback
- 21 Myanmaromestic flights and transport :cash :guide/travel agency i
- 22 US Citizen Vietnam Visa Help!
- 23 3 Week Trip to Southeast Asia
- 24 Help - India take 2
- 25 Chiang Mai hotel with sweet attentive staff