I'm considering doing a gap year in Russia for six months from January 2014 (aged 18) and was wondering if some more experienced travellers could comment on the feasibility of my plans. At the moment I just have the big idea and need to explore my options.
I plan to spend four months preparing to go out there by learning Russian and reading as much Russian literature and history as possible. And also getting a job! (Sadly a first)
I would fly out to St Petersburg or Moscow. The intention is to have a job lined up out there (does anyone know any ways of making this happen?) and do that for any amount of time and just live and experience either one or both of these great cities.
With some money obtained I would then travel the trans-Siberian railway at a very leisurely place. I'm interested in doing some labour as a farm hand or whatever and living with a family. I would also like to do some trekking along the way and spend a while playing rugby at a club somewhere. Ultimately, I would go all the way through Russia and finish up in Beijing.
The big questions I have are thus: How much money do you think I will need? Will I be able to get a job out there? How much of the language can I learn in four months and if it is not much, will that be an obstacle? Is six months too long for a lone traveller? Is travelling for that long in Russia safe?
Any replies to those would be hugely appreciated. As I say, I've got what I think is a great idea but I'm just really unsure whether it's practical.
Gap year in Russia
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Nepal- recipe?
- 2 A Thailand holiday vacation 9 years in a row!
- 3 New Hanoi Hotel opening
- 4 Burma - Our Mad Dash Across Too Much
- 5 3 weeks in Myanmar-What an adventure!
- 6 10 Day Japan Trip - Need Some Help Choosing!
- 7 My SEA trip - photos update
- 8 vietnam and laos
- 9 Air Asia All You Can Fly
- 10 Bangkok: Shangri-La, Penninsula, Mandarin Oriental
- 11 Busan in two weeks January 2015, coping with the cold.
- 12 Which Section of Great Wall? And add visit to Ming Tombs?
- 13 Travel Report for Laos - Asia’s Most Relaxed Destination
- 14 Best country to visit 1st time in Southeast Asia
- 15 Myanmar Itinerary Please Help?!
- 16 Trip to Borneo to See Orangutans
- 17 Travelling btwn M'asia&Jkt
- 18 Kerala Itinerary - Houseboat and Tree House Questions
- 19 Moving to KL: Sim card + Place to stay
- 20 First trip to Vietnam! Help me with my itinerary please!
- 21 Travel Report to Siem Reap + Angkor + Northwest Cambodia
- 22 A week of blue skies in Beijing, who would've guessed?
- 23 Connaught Place
- 24 questions about trip to Mrauk U
- 25 Bali - seeking feedback on 3-week itinerary