My family and I are thinking of spending a month (4 or 5 weeks) in Taiwan from late December 2011 to Late Jan / early Feb 2012.
Why Taiwan, well we like that it is an island (and so a manageable area to cover), and we're interested in Chinese and native culture, and it will be warmer than the mainland at that time of year!
We'll spend some time in Taipei, of course. But then we want to travel around. So three initial questions, in the hope that there are some 'old Taiwan hands' here who can help.
1. Would we be mad to hire a car? I've heard that the driving can be pretty wild. But we want to be able to get to more 'off the beaten track' places'...
2. Any ideas for an itinerary, covering most of the big sights?
3. Has anyone been to Lanyu Island? What is the trip over there like in winter? I've heard the seas can be bad (and I get sea sick!).
Hope to hear from some of you. THANK YOU
Four weeks in Taiwan
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 "Copying" Favorite Clothes
- 2 Tokyo: Belated Trip Report
- 3 Question: Using JR Pass on Narita Express upon arrival
- 4 On the Road in Beautiful Sri Lanka
- 5 Thailand Itinerary Rough Plan
- 6 Gang rape in India. Again.
- 7 Vietnam - 7 days from HCM
- 8 Weather in April
- 9 Train vs Bus vs Taxi from Narita to Tokyo/Takkyubin service to Narita
- 10 Can you take luggage on the bullet train, or should the hotel send it on?
- 11 Malaysia travel route help!
- 12 Cambodia itinerary advice and luggage storage?
- 13 Laos Visa on Arrival - Need Cash in US Dollars?
- 14 Nepal - Lucky Escape!
- 15 15 night Honeymoon in Bali- April 2015
- 16 Thailand for 2 weeks January 2016
- 17 Itinerary help for 7 days in Japan
- 18 help with planning a trip to Vietnam
- 19 Seeking itinerary advice - 14 days in Japan in November
- 20 From DC to Delhi and beyond
- 21 2015 Cherry Blossom Forecast Published
- 22 best dining in Kyoto
- 23 Haridwar or Rishikesh?
- 24 Tokyo Sumo and Baseball
- 25 Guardian news story about security and safety in Maldives