My family and I are thinking of spending a month (4 or 5 weeks) in Taiwan from late December 2011 to Late Jan / early Feb 2012.
Why Taiwan, well we like that it is an island (and so a manageable area to cover), and we're interested in Chinese and native culture, and it will be warmer than the mainland at that time of year!
We'll spend some time in Taipei, of course. But then we want to travel around. So three initial questions, in the hope that there are some 'old Taiwan hands' here who can help.
1. Would we be mad to hire a car? I've heard that the driving can be pretty wild. But we want to be able to get to more 'off the beaten track' places'...
2. Any ideas for an itinerary, covering most of the big sights?
3. Has anyone been to Lanyu Island? What is the trip over there like in winter? I've heard the seas can be bad (and I get sea sick!).
Hope to hear from some of you. THANK YOU
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Holiday in Cambodia - plus Myanmar for a wedding.
- 2 Kathie and Cheryl are off on another SE Asian adventure
- 3 First time – Solo - Japan 2016
- 4 5 weeks in Japan
- 5 India - Bangalore, Mysore & Agra
- 6 Requesting Passport Number
- 7 Annual Fall Asia Trip
- 8 China and Japan help
- 9 Advantage of using Smithsonian Tours
- 10 Help! India Visa question....
- 11 Air India Versus Jet airways. Which is best for India
- 12 Singapore hotel
- 13 looking for Vietnam based TA to help plan trip
- 14 Splitting time between Hoi An and Hue
- 15 Indonesia in February/rainy season
- 16 Phu Quoc
- 17 Still contemplating SEA this winter and have questions
- 18 Thank You Fabulous Fodorites, and some Upcoming Trip Questions
- 19 Northern Burma on the RV Pandaw II
- 20 TRIP REPORT: Just returned from first visit to Japan!
- 21 Solo female first-timer: Thailand
- 22 Shanghai Pollution in January 2016
- 23 Japan winter! 2-month itinerary
- 24 Question about jungles (sumatra, borneo) and forest fires
- 25 Viewing Tigers in India - Best Time of Year?