My family and I are thinking of spending a month (4 or 5 weeks) in Taiwan from late December 2011 to Late Jan / early Feb 2012.
Why Taiwan, well we like that it is an island (and so a manageable area to cover), and we're interested in Chinese and native culture, and it will be warmer than the mainland at that time of year!
We'll spend some time in Taipei, of course. But then we want to travel around. So three initial questions, in the hope that there are some 'old Taiwan hands' here who can help.
1. Would we be mad to hire a car? I've heard that the driving can be pretty wild. But we want to be able to get to more 'off the beaten track' places'...
2. Any ideas for an itinerary, covering most of the big sights?
3. Has anyone been to Lanyu Island? What is the trip over there like in winter? I've heard the seas can be bad (and I get sea sick!).
Hope to hear from some of you. THANK YOU
Four weeks in Taiwan
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 looking for a great hotel in K.L./ Lost camera!!!!!!!
- 2 Glovers 2 month India adventure has begun!
- 3 3 weeks in Japan- Finalized... I think
- 4 Japan Itinerary for May
- 5 Thai island escape
- 6 Itinerary set: Now some logistical questions on first time trip to Japan
- 7 Planning 19 days in Indonesia- need help
- 8 Indonesia/Java/Sulawesi Travel Advice needed
- 9 Halong Bay Tour - Is there another day tour you recommend instead?
- 10 What are good things to buy while in Shanghai China
- 11 Visa Arrived..off to India!!!
- 12 From Singapore to NZ: A Remarkable Safari Through Time and Across Cultures
- 13 South Korea 5 days
- 14 Japan -OAT tour
- 15 Great trip to Myanmar, Bangkok and Hong Kong
- 16 Questions on Places to See in Burma
- 17 Indian Visa: Experience with BLS International?
- 18 Transport logistics: Kyoto, Hiroshima/Miyajima, Kyushu
- 19 India Visa - BLS international. Lost passport FBI complaint
- 20 General question
- 21 Train Travel During Golden Week
- 22 Staying in Hong Kong but want to visit Shenzen
- 23 Purchasing a Nozomi train ticket - Tokyo to Kyoto
- 24 Myanmar (Burma) Trip Report
- 25 Travels in Tumultuous Thailand, languid Luang Prabang & Smiling Siem Reap