I have been getting conflicting reports over the past few days about the TWOV option when flying through PEK.
Our issue/My question:
Our family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) are flying RT from SFO to BKK in late Dec/return early January, with stops in Beijing (PEK) on both routes. On the way to BKK, we only have a couple of hours of layover, but on the return flight, we have 9 hours (6:30am - 4:00pm). We have been told by some that we can go through immigration WITHOUT A VISA and leave the airport for the day as long as we have proof of our flight leaving PEK within 24 hours to another country (called a transit stamp).
We would prefer not to get a visa, as they are $140 each, ($700 for family of 5), and if our plane from BKK is running late, we won't have time to leave the airport anyways (and that seems like an obscene amount of money to spend for just a few hours).
Per the IATA website/TIMATIC, this is possible. Per China websites, this is not. On TripAdvisor Forums, people saying yes, this is possible (and easy to do). My father's travel connections in China (used to work there) say no, we need visas.
Would love to know that there is a definitive source of information that I can print out and show at PEK in case of a problem (or know for sure that we can't, so we can figure out which is worse - spending $700 for the visas or spending 9 hours in PEK Terminal 3 with 3 very tired/whiny/cranky kids who just took a redeye from BKK and probably an equally cranky husband).
Any help is much appreciated!!!!
Flying through Beijing: Transit without Visa Question
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Indus Travel - Royal India Tour March 2016
- 2 Dream Trip Itinerary - Backing Asia to Europe
- 3 Part 2 - A major meander through Australia/Tasmania, Bali, Laos & Vietnam
- 4 Thailand Itinerary Rough Plan
- 5 Cambodia itinerary advice and luggage storage?
- 6 On the Road in Beautiful Sri Lanka
- 7 Gang rape in India. Again.
- 8 "Copying" Favorite Clothes
- 9 Tokyo: Belated Trip Report
- 10 Question: Using JR Pass on Narita Express upon arrival
- 11 Vietnam - 7 days from HCM
- 12 Weather in April
- 13 Train vs Bus vs Taxi from Narita to Tokyo/Takkyubin service to Narita
- 14 Can you take luggage on the bullet train, or should the hotel send it on?
- 15 Malaysia travel route help!
- 16 Laos Visa on Arrival - Need Cash in US Dollars?
- 17 Nepal - Lucky Escape!
- 18 15 night Honeymoon in Bali- April 2015
- 19 Thailand for 2 weeks January 2016
- 20 Itinerary help for 7 days in Japan
- 21 help with planning a trip to Vietnam
- 22 Seeking itinerary advice - 14 days in Japan in November
- 23 From DC to Delhi and beyond
- 24 2015 Cherry Blossom Forecast Published
- 25 best dining in Kyoto