I have been getting conflicting reports over the past few days about the TWOV option when flying through PEK.
Our issue/My question:
Our family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) are flying RT from SFO to BKK in late Dec/return early January, with stops in Beijing (PEK) on both routes. On the way to BKK, we only have a couple of hours of layover, but on the return flight, we have 9 hours (6:30am - 4:00pm). We have been told by some that we can go through immigration WITHOUT A VISA and leave the airport for the day as long as we have proof of our flight leaving PEK within 24 hours to another country (called a transit stamp).
We would prefer not to get a visa, as they are $140 each, ($700 for family of 5), and if our plane from BKK is running late, we won't have time to leave the airport anyways (and that seems like an obscene amount of money to spend for just a few hours).
Per the IATA website/TIMATIC, this is possible. Per China websites, this is not. On TripAdvisor Forums, people saying yes, this is possible (and easy to do). My father's travel connections in China (used to work there) say no, we need visas.
Would love to know that there is a definitive source of information that I can print out and show at PEK in case of a problem (or know for sure that we can't, so we can figure out which is worse - spending $700 for the visas or spending 9 hours in PEK Terminal 3 with 3 very tired/whiny/cranky kids who just took a redeye from BKK and probably an equally cranky husband).
Any help is much appreciated!!!!
Flying through Beijing: Transit without Visa Question
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 3 days in Lahore, need some suggestions
- 2 A week of blue skies in Beijing, who would've guessed?
- 3 "Naga New Year Festival 2015"
- 4 The City, the River, the Jungle: Our Holiday in Kuching - Borneo
- 5 Explorer the wildlife of Jim Corbett National Park
- 6 Where to stay for 2-3 nights between Tsumago and Hakone April 2015
- 7 Indian visa
- 8 One week in Thailand
- 9 How would you do Hiroshima & Miyajima if can only stay 1 night in Miyajima?
- 10 US citizens applying for India visa--take care which website you use
- 11 First trip to Japan-17 night Itinerary in Cherry Blossom season
- 12 Can you HELP with figuring out United Miles and how to get them SF-Bangkok?
- 13 Trip to Mt. Merapi and Prambanan Temple, Indonesia
- 14 Is Asiana Airlines safe?
- 15 Vietnam Visa on Arrival - Help
- 16 Kyoto: hotel choices, guides,day trip to Nara
- 17 Japan Itinerary Help Please! 4.5-4.17
- 18 Which is better with kids, Dubai or Singapore ?
- 19 Burma - Our Mad Dash Across Too Much
- 20 Assistance planning remaining 5 days in South Thailand
- 21 First trip to China ! Need help with itinerary
- 22 Mangalore, India as cruise stop…seems underwhelming
- 23 Final Itinerary Kyoto area through Kamakura (skipping Tokyo this trip)
- 24 Which to see first - Kyoto or Tokyo?
- 25 13 Hour layover in KL, never visited city before, ideas?