I have been getting conflicting reports over the past few days about the TWOV option when flying through PEK.
Our issue/My question:
Our family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) are flying RT from SFO to BKK in late Dec/return early January, with stops in Beijing (PEK) on both routes. On the way to BKK, we only have a couple of hours of layover, but on the return flight, we have 9 hours (6:30am - 4:00pm). We have been told by some that we can go through immigration WITHOUT A VISA and leave the airport for the day as long as we have proof of our flight leaving PEK within 24 hours to another country (called a transit stamp).
We would prefer not to get a visa, as they are $140 each, ($700 for family of 5), and if our plane from BKK is running late, we won't have time to leave the airport anyways (and that seems like an obscene amount of money to spend for just a few hours).
Per the IATA website/TIMATIC, this is possible. Per China websites, this is not. On TripAdvisor Forums, people saying yes, this is possible (and easy to do). My father's travel connections in China (used to work there) say no, we need visas.
Would love to know that there is a definitive source of information that I can print out and show at PEK in case of a problem (or know for sure that we can't, so we can figure out which is worse - spending $700 for the visas or spending 9 hours in PEK Terminal 3 with 3 very tired/whiny/cranky kids who just took a redeye from BKK and probably an equally cranky husband).
Any help is much appreciated!!!!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Travel Suggestions for the Stans and companions requested
- 2 travel to Kuala Lumpur July 4-12
- 3 Advice Sought On East Malaysia Itinerary
- 4 Davao Travel and sights, to do's
- 5 Skip Vientaine, a mistake?
- 6 JR Summer Seasonal Trains
- 7 Kathmandu and EBC trek in earthquake aftermath
- 8 Travel to Singapore & Area with Husband and 2 teenage boys
- 9 What are the places to visit in Sikkim
- 10 China itinerary
- 11 Castle & King tour operator review
- 12 Thailand and Myanmar-Hot Hot Hot!
- 13 June 4-10 accommodations near Minzu University (Beijing)?
- 14 NRT 21 hrs layover, need help with train schedule
- 15 Some Final Thoughts on a Trip to SE Asia
- 16 First trip to Japan
- 17 Immigration/customs Turkey to Pakistan
- 18 Calling habitués of Chiang Rai.
- 19 8.5 Days in India - Insane?
- 20 Best eats near Minzu University in Beijing? (June-August 2015 trip)
- 21 Driver recommendation in Bali
- 22 Amazing service - Himalayan Leaders
- 23 The Best Exotic Off-Season Holiday: Udaipur/Varanasi/Agra/ Delhi
- 24 Tauck or Abercrombie and Kent or Louise Nicholson
- 25 Northern India in June