I have been getting conflicting reports over the past few days about the TWOV option when flying through PEK.
Our issue/My question:
Our family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) are flying RT from SFO to BKK in late Dec/return early January, with stops in Beijing (PEK) on both routes. On the way to BKK, we only have a couple of hours of layover, but on the return flight, we have 9 hours (6:30am - 4:00pm). We have been told by some that we can go through immigration WITHOUT A VISA and leave the airport for the day as long as we have proof of our flight leaving PEK within 24 hours to another country (called a transit stamp).
We would prefer not to get a visa, as they are $140 each, ($700 for family of 5), and if our plane from BKK is running late, we won't have time to leave the airport anyways (and that seems like an obscene amount of money to spend for just a few hours).
Per the IATA website/TIMATIC, this is possible. Per China websites, this is not. On TripAdvisor Forums, people saying yes, this is possible (and easy to do). My father's travel connections in China (used to work there) say no, we need visas.
Would love to know that there is a definitive source of information that I can print out and show at PEK in case of a problem (or know for sure that we can't, so we can figure out which is worse - spending $700 for the visas or spending 9 hours in PEK Terminal 3 with 3 very tired/whiny/cranky kids who just took a redeye from BKK and probably an equally cranky husband).
Any help is much appreciated!!!!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Tashi Delek: trip report from Bhutan 2015
- 2 Seeking Help with First Trip to Japan
- 3 Best place to replenish my Japanese currency?
- 4 Annual Fall Asia Trip
- 5 New Member
- 6 Planning for a trip to Northwest Vietnam
- 7 Eating in Chiang Mai and Pai, Thailand
- 8 Holiday in Cambodia - plus Myanmar for a wedding.
- 9 Bangkok
- 10 5 weeks in Japan
- 11 Namaste--Nepal trip report November 2015
- 12 Air India Versus Jet airways. Which is best for India
- 13 Kathie and Cheryl are off on another SE Asian adventure
- 14 Myanmar- Popular Sights and even a few hospitals!
- 15 Advantage of using Smithsonian Tours
- 16 Tokyo Story's Setsuko Hara dies at 95
- 17 TRIP REPORT: Just returned from first visit to Japan!
- 18 India trip report-brief recommendations
- 19 Lodge in Borneo
- 20 Best Singapore Sunday Brunch Hotel?
- 21 China and Japan help
- 22 Crossing Myanmar with own car (Thailand -> India) in Aug or Sep 2014
- 23 Trip report: Horse riding holiday in Sri Lanka – October 2015
- 24 First time – Solo - Japan 2016
- 25 Thank You Fabulous Fodorites, and some Upcoming Trip Questions