I have been getting conflicting reports over the past few days about the TWOV option when flying through PEK.
Our issue/My question:
Our family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) are flying RT from SFO to BKK in late Dec/return early January, with stops in Beijing (PEK) on both routes. On the way to BKK, we only have a couple of hours of layover, but on the return flight, we have 9 hours (6:30am - 4:00pm). We have been told by some that we can go through immigration WITHOUT A VISA and leave the airport for the day as long as we have proof of our flight leaving PEK within 24 hours to another country (called a transit stamp).
We would prefer not to get a visa, as they are $140 each, ($700 for family of 5), and if our plane from BKK is running late, we won't have time to leave the airport anyways (and that seems like an obscene amount of money to spend for just a few hours).
Per the IATA website/TIMATIC, this is possible. Per China websites, this is not. On TripAdvisor Forums, people saying yes, this is possible (and easy to do). My father's travel connections in China (used to work there) say no, we need visas.
Would love to know that there is a definitive source of information that I can print out and show at PEK in case of a problem (or know for sure that we can't, so we can figure out which is worse - spending $700 for the visas or spending 9 hours in PEK Terminal 3 with 3 very tired/whiny/cranky kids who just took a redeye from BKK and probably an equally cranky husband).
Any help is much appreciated!!!!
Flying through Beijing: Transit without Visa Question
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Problems booking a hotel in Tokyo
- 2 4-5 days in SE Asia
- 3 Kyushu & Honshu Fall 2011
- 4 Short trip to Bangkok via Dubai
- 5 Myanmar - A Visit to a Country in Transition
- 6 Where did you exchange dollars for Rupees??
- 7 Halong Bay Tour - Is there another day tour you recommend instead?
- 8 1st time Japan - solo female
- 9 Please share the things you liked in Hanoi and Hoi An
- 10 David's Trip Report--Japan- November 2013
- 11 From Singapore to NZ: A Remarkable Safari Through Time and Across Cultures
- 12 3 weeks in Japan- Finalized... I think
- 13 Travelling to Thailand from U.S. this June/July
- 14 Odyssey unlimited
- 15 Myanmar Trip Report: Is It "Too Late" To Go?
- 16 Best of NHK - Video Streaming
- 17 Myanmar Burma travel agent
- 18 Travels in Tumultuous Thailand, languid Luang Prabang & Smiling Siem Reap
- 19 Need your Expertise with my Japanese........Itinerary!
- 20 Itinerary set: Now some logistical questions on first time trip to Japan
- 21 looking for a great hotel in K.L./ Lost camera!!!!!!!
- 22 Great trip to Myanmar, Bangkok and Hong Kong
- 23 1 week in North and Central Vietnam in February
- 24 Guide/Driver for Mumbai,
- 25 Jaipur--Jas Vilas or Royal Heritge Haveli ?