I have been getting conflicting reports over the past few days about the TWOV option when flying through PEK.
Our issue/My question:
Our family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) are flying RT from SFO to BKK in late Dec/return early January, with stops in Beijing (PEK) on both routes. On the way to BKK, we only have a couple of hours of layover, but on the return flight, we have 9 hours (6:30am - 4:00pm). We have been told by some that we can go through immigration WITHOUT A VISA and leave the airport for the day as long as we have proof of our flight leaving PEK within 24 hours to another country (called a transit stamp).
We would prefer not to get a visa, as they are $140 each, ($700 for family of 5), and if our plane from BKK is running late, we won't have time to leave the airport anyways (and that seems like an obscene amount of money to spend for just a few hours).
Per the IATA website/TIMATIC, this is possible. Per China websites, this is not. On TripAdvisor Forums, people saying yes, this is possible (and easy to do). My father's travel connections in China (used to work there) say no, we need visas.
Would love to know that there is a definitive source of information that I can print out and show at PEK in case of a problem (or know for sure that we can't, so we can figure out which is worse - spending $700 for the visas or spending 9 hours in PEK Terminal 3 with 3 very tired/whiny/cranky kids who just took a redeye from BKK and probably an equally cranky husband).
Any help is much appreciated!!!!
Flying through Beijing: Transit without Visa Question
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Sri Lanka itinerary-please critic
- 2 Need help planning a trip to Myanmar, Laos and Vietnam
- 3 Please comment re. itinerary for Indochina
- 4 Day trip by car from Kyoto?
- 5 Bali in begging of July
- 6 Mad Dash Across Too Much - Sri Lanka Not Bangladesh
- 7 Plans for Nepal/Bhutan continued: how does this sound??
- 8 Bali - January 2015
- 9 Hiring a car and driver in Bali
- 10 Taken to the police station for not carrying documents... please, help!
- 11 Our favorite hotels and restaurants of Bali – Ubud, Amed, Pemuteran
- 12 meeting at beijing airport
- 13 One week in Tokyo
- 14 Suggestions for bike tour operators that offer smaller tours (4-5 days)
- 15 Bali and Java - 24 September to 23 October 2014
- 16 Souvenirs/shopping in Thailand
- 17 Travelling in China at Christmas
- 18 Sri Lanka vacation with 4 year old.... 10 Day Itenerary Review Help...
- 19 Pai in N. Thailand? Worth it?
- 20 Confused about where to stay in Tokyo
- 21 Hotel in Singapore
- 22 Any new BKK hotels or with new mgt. worth checking on?
- 23 Cooking in Chiang Mai & Driving Around Northern Thailand
- 24 Guide/Driver for Mumbai,
- 25 Visa Cambodia