I have been getting conflicting reports over the past few days about the TWOV option when flying through PEK.
Our issue/My question:
Our family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) are flying RT from SFO to BKK in late Dec/return early January, with stops in Beijing (PEK) on both routes. On the way to BKK, we only have a couple of hours of layover, but on the return flight, we have 9 hours (6:30am - 4:00pm). We have been told by some that we can go through immigration WITHOUT A VISA and leave the airport for the day as long as we have proof of our flight leaving PEK within 24 hours to another country (called a transit stamp).
We would prefer not to get a visa, as they are $140 each, ($700 for family of 5), and if our plane from BKK is running late, we won't have time to leave the airport anyways (and that seems like an obscene amount of money to spend for just a few hours).
Per the IATA website/TIMATIC, this is possible. Per China websites, this is not. On TripAdvisor Forums, people saying yes, this is possible (and easy to do). My father's travel connections in China (used to work there) say no, we need visas.
Would love to know that there is a definitive source of information that I can print out and show at PEK in case of a problem (or know for sure that we can't, so we can figure out which is worse - spending $700 for the visas or spending 9 hours in PEK Terminal 3 with 3 very tired/whiny/cranky kids who just took a redeye from BKK and probably an equally cranky husband).
Any help is much appreciated!!!!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 First timer to Hong Kong, Thailand & Cambodia
- 2 First time in Japan in November - Request Itinerary Help
- 3 2 weeks in Vietnam
- 4 Itinerary/tips for 2-3 weeks in Japan in Nov.
- 5 Appropriate Dress For The Cultural Triangle
- 6 Touristy Thailand
- 7 New Years in Japan
- 8 Tour company for China and Southeast Asia
- 9 3 Weeks Thailand Itinerary - Advice Sought
- 10 One week in Taiwan (is not enough!)
- 11 Vietnam with kids/teens
- 12 Myanmar tour companies
- 13 Help with 2 week Thailand itinerary
- 14 Understanding beach destinations in Thailand
- 15 A Victory Day Tour
- 16 3 weeks in Japan
- 17 16 hour layover in Indonesia; what to do?
- 18 Good fare for US west coast to Japan?
- 19 Kinosake Onsen Ryokan
- 20 12 days in Thailand itinerary
- 21 One Visa for multiple countries?
- 22 Procuring Letter of Invitation from Kazakhastan for Visa
- 23 Memories: Astana, Expo 2017
- 24 A first time for everything in Japan
- 25 EF tours fired incompetent tour guide