I have been getting conflicting reports over the past few days about the TWOV option when flying through PEK.
Our issue/My question:
Our family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) are flying RT from SFO to BKK in late Dec/return early January, with stops in Beijing (PEK) on both routes. On the way to BKK, we only have a couple of hours of layover, but on the return flight, we have 9 hours (6:30am - 4:00pm). We have been told by some that we can go through immigration WITHOUT A VISA and leave the airport for the day as long as we have proof of our flight leaving PEK within 24 hours to another country (called a transit stamp).
We would prefer not to get a visa, as they are $140 each, ($700 for family of 5), and if our plane from BKK is running late, we won't have time to leave the airport anyways (and that seems like an obscene amount of money to spend for just a few hours).
Per the IATA website/TIMATIC, this is possible. Per China websites, this is not. On TripAdvisor Forums, people saying yes, this is possible (and easy to do). My father's travel connections in China (used to work there) say no, we need visas.
Would love to know that there is a definitive source of information that I can print out and show at PEK in case of a problem (or know for sure that we can't, so we can figure out which is worse - spending $700 for the visas or spending 9 hours in PEK Terminal 3 with 3 very tired/whiny/cranky kids who just took a redeye from BKK and probably an equally cranky husband).
Any help is much appreciated!!!!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 2-3 weeks in Asia this fall
- 2 Bali in Feb. for nature & unique cultural perspectives
- 3 Difference in staying at Dambulla or Habarana
- 4 Update on cash situation in India for imminent visitors
- 5 Seeking Help With My Sri Lanka And South India Itinerary: Rough Draft #1
- 6 Where to stay in Tokyo
- 7 Advice on Hainan Island?
- 8 On the road again - to Incredible India.
- 9 Where to go for 3 days in SEA after business meeting in Singapore?
- 10 3.5 Weeks in Japan (First-time) Itinerary Help
- 11 Indonesia travel agent
- 12 Trip Report: First time in Thailand and Cambodia
- 13 A beach of choice on Samui
- 14 Krabi--Ko Tao--Ko Samui
- 15 Bangkok Taxis
- 16 3 weeks - first time SEA
- 17 Where to buy reading glasses and get a massage in Bangkok?
- 18 Heads up for US people trying to pay for Myanmar by cc from the US
- 19 A month in central Asia
- 20 Central Asia Four Week Itinerary
- 21 Something about... Malaysia
- 22 Day trip from Kuala Lumpur
- 23 Two Round Trip Tickets?
- 24 Osaka, aquarium?
- 25 favorite activities in krabi area