I have been getting conflicting reports over the past few days about the TWOV option when flying through PEK.
Our issue/My question:
Our family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) are flying RT from SFO to BKK in late Dec/return early January, with stops in Beijing (PEK) on both routes. On the way to BKK, we only have a couple of hours of layover, but on the return flight, we have 9 hours (6:30am - 4:00pm). We have been told by some that we can go through immigration WITHOUT A VISA and leave the airport for the day as long as we have proof of our flight leaving PEK within 24 hours to another country (called a transit stamp).
We would prefer not to get a visa, as they are $140 each, ($700 for family of 5), and if our plane from BKK is running late, we won't have time to leave the airport anyways (and that seems like an obscene amount of money to spend for just a few hours).
Per the IATA website/TIMATIC, this is possible. Per China websites, this is not. On TripAdvisor Forums, people saying yes, this is possible (and easy to do). My father's travel connections in China (used to work there) say no, we need visas.
Would love to know that there is a definitive source of information that I can print out and show at PEK in case of a problem (or know for sure that we can't, so we can figure out which is worse - spending $700 for the visas or spending 9 hours in PEK Terminal 3 with 3 very tired/whiny/cranky kids who just took a redeye from BKK and probably an equally cranky husband).
Any help is much appreciated!!!!
Flying through Beijing: Transit without Visa Question
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Golden Triangle Voyage – An Awesome Experience in India
- 2 Please critique my Thailand itinerary
- 3 Bali and Java - 24 September to 23 October 2014
- 4 9 nights in Hong Kong in November - how to split up?
- 5 hello
- 6 Cooking in Chiang Mai & Driving Around Northern Thailand
- 7 Travel during China national week?
- 8 My trip report from the Philippines
- 9 Kyoto to Koyasan, then Koyasan to Hiroshima
- 10 Chinese idioms:calling a stag a horse
- 11 JR PASS AND ITINERARY
- 12 Traditional & Cultural Safari in India through Golden Triangle
- 13 China with Collette Tours
- 14 Exploring Thailand
- 15 Air Asia package from Koh Lipe to Bangkok
- 16 Confused about where to stay in Tokyo
- 17 Tucan Travel Wonders of India and Nepal Review - Travelers, Beware!
- 18 Traveling solo to Thailand and looking for recommended tour company
- 19 Chiang Mai, flight: best travel logistics to which Island?
- 20 Buying cycling clothes in Bangkok
- 21 Ho Chi Minh Mekong delta, pnom penh
- 22 Back from Kyoto, Koyasan, Hiroshima, Miyajima, Kyushu. Questions welcome!
- 23 K.L. Ideas on Hotel so on.
- 24 Sri Lanka vacation with 4 year old.... 10 Day Itenerary Review Help...
- 25 How would you organize this itinerary?