I have been getting conflicting reports over the past few days about the TWOV option when flying through PEK.
Our issue/My question:
Our family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) are flying RT from SFO to BKK in late Dec/return early January, with stops in Beijing (PEK) on both routes. On the way to BKK, we only have a couple of hours of layover, but on the return flight, we have 9 hours (6:30am - 4:00pm). We have been told by some that we can go through immigration WITHOUT A VISA and leave the airport for the day as long as we have proof of our flight leaving PEK within 24 hours to another country (called a transit stamp).
We would prefer not to get a visa, as they are $140 each, ($700 for family of 5), and if our plane from BKK is running late, we won't have time to leave the airport anyways (and that seems like an obscene amount of money to spend for just a few hours).
Per the IATA website/TIMATIC, this is possible. Per China websites, this is not. On TripAdvisor Forums, people saying yes, this is possible (and easy to do). My father's travel connections in China (used to work there) say no, we need visas.
Would love to know that there is a definitive source of information that I can print out and show at PEK in case of a problem (or know for sure that we can't, so we can figure out which is worse - spending $700 for the visas or spending 9 hours in PEK Terminal 3 with 3 very tired/whiny/cranky kids who just took a redeye from BKK and probably an equally cranky husband).
Any help is much appreciated!!!!
Flying through Beijing: Transit without Visa Question
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 How safe is it for US Citizens in Hat Yai and Violence in Southern Thailand
- 2 Xian - Make your own warriors?
- 3 Bangkok/Phuket hotel and suggestions to do?
- 4 RHKKMKs---Just to be copy cats
- 5 Japan and Hong Kong, September 2014
- 6 Kashmir today
- 7 Vietnam Trip Report: March 2014
- 8 Overnight trek to Mine Thauk Village?
- 9 Yikes! How to get a Visa to India??
- 10 Vietnam - In Search of Accessible Nature
- 11 Elephants and Tigers (no bears), oh my.
- 12 Heading to Koh Lipe, missing the boat. So need to spend the night.
- 13 Obtaining Multiple-entry China Visa for American in Hong Kong
- 14 Alleppey Backwater Cruise at Kerala
- 15 Beijing Air Quality Forecast
- 16 Luang Prabang Waterfall
- 17 Asia July 2015 for 2 weeks
- 18 Sikkim, Darjeeling and Kolkata: an Unusual First Trip to India
- 19 Vietnam Visa on Arrival - Help
- 20 Triple Room in Singapore
- 21 A trip to Mahabaleshwar (India)
- 22 What I like about Mumbai
- 23 Favorite hotel in X'ian?
- 24 GPS points for Mustang - Naar Phu, Saribung pass, Saribung peak
- 25 11D Family 4 Adults 3 kids age 1, 4, 6 Taiwan trip need advice on itinerary