I have been getting conflicting reports over the past few days about the TWOV option when flying through PEK.
Our issue/My question:
Our family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) are flying RT from SFO to BKK in late Dec/return early January, with stops in Beijing (PEK) on both routes. On the way to BKK, we only have a couple of hours of layover, but on the return flight, we have 9 hours (6:30am - 4:00pm). We have been told by some that we can go through immigration WITHOUT A VISA and leave the airport for the day as long as we have proof of our flight leaving PEK within 24 hours to another country (called a transit stamp).
We would prefer not to get a visa, as they are $140 each, ($700 for family of 5), and if our plane from BKK is running late, we won't have time to leave the airport anyways (and that seems like an obscene amount of money to spend for just a few hours).
Per the IATA website/TIMATIC, this is possible. Per China websites, this is not. On TripAdvisor Forums, people saying yes, this is possible (and easy to do). My father's travel connections in China (used to work there) say no, we need visas.
Would love to know that there is a definitive source of information that I can print out and show at PEK in case of a problem (or know for sure that we can't, so we can figure out which is worse - spending $700 for the visas or spending 9 hours in PEK Terminal 3 with 3 very tired/whiny/cranky kids who just took a redeye from BKK and probably an equally cranky husband).
Any help is much appreciated!!!!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 TMI re Northern Vietnam rural "homestays"?
- 2 Summer travel in Japan
- 3 Cooking class in Rajasthan India.
- 4 Phuket Weather
- 5 Stay in a traditional Japanese inn for the ultimate Japanese hospitality
- 6 New Delhi - What to see?
- 7 Another Vietnam Visa Question
- 8 Cheap Corner Study Tables
- 9 Finally, Smeagol and Muffins Japanese adventure begins.....
- 10 i Lanka Tea Plantaion Stay
- 11 Bangkok for 3 nights, first time
- 12 Dental Work in Bangkok
- 13 Five day itinerary for Bangkok. Ideas?
- 14 Travel to Philippines for Business - Health Concerns
- 15 Information on India Tour Company
- 16 Davao Travel and sights, to do's
- 17 Trekking in India
- 18 Tianzi Mountain in Sichuan
- 19 There and back again: a conflicted (and reimagined) India Trip Report
- 20 If choice is necessary: Ninh Binh or Ba Be ?
- 21 hanoi eats
- 22 Early planning for yet another "second trip" to Japan
- 23 Universal Studios Japan crowd levels in late November 2015?
- 24 Mid Autumn Festival China - Stay or go?
- 25 Hotels in Kumamoto and Fukuoka