I have been getting conflicting reports over the past few days about the TWOV option when flying through PEK.
Our issue/My question:
Our family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) are flying RT from SFO to BKK in late Dec/return early January, with stops in Beijing (PEK) on both routes. On the way to BKK, we only have a couple of hours of layover, but on the return flight, we have 9 hours (6:30am - 4:00pm). We have been told by some that we can go through immigration WITHOUT A VISA and leave the airport for the day as long as we have proof of our flight leaving PEK within 24 hours to another country (called a transit stamp).
We would prefer not to get a visa, as they are $140 each, ($700 for family of 5), and if our plane from BKK is running late, we won't have time to leave the airport anyways (and that seems like an obscene amount of money to spend for just a few hours).
Per the IATA website/TIMATIC, this is possible. Per China websites, this is not. On TripAdvisor Forums, people saying yes, this is possible (and easy to do). My father's travel connections in China (used to work there) say no, we need visas.
Would love to know that there is a definitive source of information that I can print out and show at PEK in case of a problem (or know for sure that we can't, so we can figure out which is worse - spending $700 for the visas or spending 9 hours in PEK Terminal 3 with 3 very tired/whiny/cranky kids who just took a redeye from BKK and probably an equally cranky husband).
Any help is much appreciated!!!!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 10-hr layover in Tokyo this Friday, new to JPN
- 2 Bangkok, day tours.
- 3 Recommendation of a hotel in Hong Kong and Macau
- 4 Bangkok, Angkor, Hanoi: Questions
- 5 Looking for a hotel in Singapore, what areas should I avoid?
- 6 Travel to Philippines for Business - Health Concerns
- 7 Sri Lanka east cost beaches
- 8 Indonesia, Hello Bali
- 9 Kyushu in late September
- 10 Georgia e-visa application
- 11 Help on Planning my next year itinerary
- 12 Bangkok, buffet restaurants.
- 13 Shanghai, Xi'an, Beijing
- 14 My First India Trip
- 15 Indonesia for 10 days with kids
- 16 Myanmar- Popular Sights and even a few hospitals!
- 17 Is luggage check through available between silk air and air china
- 18 TMI re Northern Vietnam rural "homestays"?
- 19 Is it worth going to Phuket or Krabi in July and August?
- 20 Nancy Chandler. 1938 - 22 June 2015
- 21 S E Asia part of our Round the World Trip
- 22 From Singapore to NZ: A Remarkable Safari Through Time and Across Cultures
- 23 Japan Trip 3 - Initial Loose Planning
- 24 SE Asia 2014 trip report
- 25 hanoi eats