I have been getting conflicting reports over the past few days about the TWOV option when flying through PEK.
Our issue/My question:
Our family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) are flying RT from SFO to BKK in late Dec/return early January, with stops in Beijing (PEK) on both routes. On the way to BKK, we only have a couple of hours of layover, but on the return flight, we have 9 hours (6:30am - 4:00pm). We have been told by some that we can go through immigration WITHOUT A VISA and leave the airport for the day as long as we have proof of our flight leaving PEK within 24 hours to another country (called a transit stamp).
We would prefer not to get a visa, as they are $140 each, ($700 for family of 5), and if our plane from BKK is running late, we won't have time to leave the airport anyways (and that seems like an obscene amount of money to spend for just a few hours).
Per the IATA website/TIMATIC, this is possible. Per China websites, this is not. On TripAdvisor Forums, people saying yes, this is possible (and easy to do). My father's travel connections in China (used to work there) say no, we need visas.
Would love to know that there is a definitive source of information that I can print out and show at PEK in case of a problem (or know for sure that we can't, so we can figure out which is worse - spending $700 for the visas or spending 9 hours in PEK Terminal 3 with 3 very tired/whiny/cranky kids who just took a redeye from BKK and probably an equally cranky husband).
Any help is much appreciated!!!!
Flying through Beijing: Transit without Visa Question
- 1 Bangkok - Silver Shops
- 2 Craig and Jeane's Japan Photos are Up
- 3 Resorts With Private Cabins Instead Of Hotel Rooms?
- 4 Thailand-Bangkok-Ko Samui-Chang mai in the begining of May
- 5 SALAY from BAGAN
- 6 Magical India
- 7 Japan: best time to go?
- 8 Craig and Jeane Visit Japan - 2013 Trip Report
- 9 Trip Report Kerala: Backwaters & Beach (DEC 2013)
- 10 Plan On Finally Visiting Japan, Looking For Advice...!
- 11 Bangkok & demonstrations (2013)
- 12 Indian Visa: Experience with BLS International?
- 13 Any recommendations for drivers in Beijing?
- 14 Questions, questions and more questions for first time trip to Asia
- 15 7 Days in Sri Lanka
- 16 Beijing - is the air quality THAT bad?
- 17 Vietnam, From Top to Bottom in January 2014
- 18 Visit To Goa
- 19 Myanmar Tour- Odysseys Unlimited or Asia Transpacific
- 20 Pindaya -to visit or not?
- 21 BLS International - Frustrating Passport Renewal Process
- 22 First time trip to Japan - Fall 2013
- 23 Bangkok-Skytrain Update
- 24 Back from a Trip of a Lifetime! Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia!
- 25 Visa process for those residing in NY/NJ/CT