I have been getting conflicting reports over the past few days about the TWOV option when flying through PEK.
Our issue/My question:
Our family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) are flying RT from SFO to BKK in late Dec/return early January, with stops in Beijing (PEK) on both routes. On the way to BKK, we only have a couple of hours of layover, but on the return flight, we have 9 hours (6:30am - 4:00pm). We have been told by some that we can go through immigration WITHOUT A VISA and leave the airport for the day as long as we have proof of our flight leaving PEK within 24 hours to another country (called a transit stamp).
We would prefer not to get a visa, as they are $140 each, ($700 for family of 5), and if our plane from BKK is running late, we won't have time to leave the airport anyways (and that seems like an obscene amount of money to spend for just a few hours).
Per the IATA website/TIMATIC, this is possible. Per China websites, this is not. On TripAdvisor Forums, people saying yes, this is possible (and easy to do). My father's travel connections in China (used to work there) say no, we need visas.
Would love to know that there is a definitive source of information that I can print out and show at PEK in case of a problem (or know for sure that we can't, so we can figure out which is worse - spending $700 for the visas or spending 9 hours in PEK Terminal 3 with 3 very tired/whiny/cranky kids who just took a redeye from BKK and probably an equally cranky husband).
Any help is much appreciated!!!!
Flying through Beijing: Transit without Visa Question
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Buy High quality fake Passports, Visa, Driver's licences , ID cards!!
- 2 Plans for Nepal/Bhutan continued: how does this sound??
- 3 Back from a Trip of a Lifetime! Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia!
- 4 Some advice on our latest Japan itinerary please?
- 5 A wow spot
- 6 Terrible experience with BLS international Houston
- 7 India Visa - BLS international. Lost passport FBI complaint
- 8 Planning First Family Trip to Japan - Advice Needed!
- 9 Reading Suggestion for Burma
- 10 T Money or Seoul City Pass Plus
- 11 Can I arrive 5 days earlier then stated on VISA application?
- 12 Considering a month in Hong Kong - Feb/15. Any apartment suggestions?
- 13 RHKKMKs---Just to be copy cats
- 14 Craig and Jeane Depart for Australia and Bali
- 15 Thailand Hotel HELP
- 16 British tourists murdered in Koh Tao
- 17 Bangkok GTG early November ?
- 18 3 1/2 weeks in Japan. Do I need dinner reservations anywhere?
- 19 Travel during China national week?
- 20 Where to stay in Hong Kong and Macau
- 21 Early November, Water Bungalows, Excellend Medical Facilities
- 22 Please comment re. itinerary for Indochina
- 23 When to go to Japan in April 2015 (blossoms but avoiding Golden Week)
- 24 Burma (Myanmar) proposed itinerary
- 25 climbing in Vietnam