I have been getting conflicting reports over the past few days about the TWOV option when flying through PEK.
Our issue/My question:
Our family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) are flying RT from SFO to BKK in late Dec/return early January, with stops in Beijing (PEK) on both routes. On the way to BKK, we only have a couple of hours of layover, but on the return flight, we have 9 hours (6:30am - 4:00pm). We have been told by some that we can go through immigration WITHOUT A VISA and leave the airport for the day as long as we have proof of our flight leaving PEK within 24 hours to another country (called a transit stamp).
We would prefer not to get a visa, as they are $140 each, ($700 for family of 5), and if our plane from BKK is running late, we won't have time to leave the airport anyways (and that seems like an obscene amount of money to spend for just a few hours).
Per the IATA website/TIMATIC, this is possible. Per China websites, this is not. On TripAdvisor Forums, people saying yes, this is possible (and easy to do). My father's travel connections in China (used to work there) say no, we need visas.
Would love to know that there is a definitive source of information that I can print out and show at PEK in case of a problem (or know for sure that we can't, so we can figure out which is worse - spending $700 for the visas or spending 9 hours in PEK Terminal 3 with 3 very tired/whiny/cranky kids who just took a redeye from BKK and probably an equally cranky husband).
Any help is much appreciated!!!!
Flying through Beijing: Transit without Visa Question
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Japan, round two - the planning begins...
- 2 Leaving Thursday for Bangkok/Phuket
- 3 Bangkok, here I come! Yes, again!!
- 4 Trip Report: Second Time to Japan - Sakura, Gardens and Castles
- 5 Photos from India!
- 6 Great Wall hike
- 7 Beautiful Trip To Naran Valley, Pakistan
- 8 Siam Niramit show and dinner-Go or no go?
- 9 Some Practical Advice on Japan from a just-returned first timer
- 10 Kerala, India - 10 day holiday
- 11 Six days in Hong Kong
- 12 Yunnan: Dali, Lijiang & Shangri-la; how many days?
- 13 Which is the best time to travel to North India?
- 14 China, Hong Kong, Tibet
- 15 Storing photos while traveling
- 16 Mt Wutai or Mt Tai
- 17 22 hour overlay in Tokyo, any ideas?
- 18 India Visa - BLS international. Lost passport FBI complaint
- 19 Seeking suggestions for our Nepal time in November. Do we need masks?
- 20 BANGKOK HOTELS
- 21 Where to stay in Hong Kong and Macau
- 22 S E Asia part of our Round the World Trip
- 23 4 days with Orangutans Balikpapan + Camp Leakey
- 24 where is this place in macao?
- 25 3 Week Thailand Itinerary Help!