I have been getting conflicting reports over the past few days about the TWOV option when flying through PEK.
Our issue/My question:
Our family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) are flying RT from SFO to BKK in late Dec/return early January, with stops in Beijing (PEK) on both routes. On the way to BKK, we only have a couple of hours of layover, but on the return flight, we have 9 hours (6:30am - 4:00pm). We have been told by some that we can go through immigration WITHOUT A VISA and leave the airport for the day as long as we have proof of our flight leaving PEK within 24 hours to another country (called a transit stamp).
We would prefer not to get a visa, as they are $140 each, ($700 for family of 5), and if our plane from BKK is running late, we won't have time to leave the airport anyways (and that seems like an obscene amount of money to spend for just a few hours).
Per the IATA website/TIMATIC, this is possible. Per China websites, this is not. On TripAdvisor Forums, people saying yes, this is possible (and easy to do). My father's travel connections in China (used to work there) say no, we need visas.
Would love to know that there is a definitive source of information that I can print out and show at PEK in case of a problem (or know for sure that we can't, so we can figure out which is worse - spending $700 for the visas or spending 9 hours in PEK Terminal 3 with 3 very tired/whiny/cranky kids who just took a redeye from BKK and probably an equally cranky husband).
Any help is much appreciated!!!!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Tips for Chiang Rai (or stop eleswhere ?)
- 2 Southern India here we come
- 3 salesforce release management
- 4 Capsule hotels
- 5 Vaccinations
- 6 Vietnam trekking travel | vietnam tours
- 7 Borneo forest fires
- 8 TXinjiang safety KKH Safety
- 9 Southeast Asia Itinerary Advice
- 10 Itinerary set for Japan trip #2: working on some details
- 11 Prehistoric sites in Java and Bali
- 12 K2 Base Camp- Concordia Gondogoro La Trek, Unforgettable Experience
- 13 Taipei 10 Night Itinerary
- 14 Sinorama Tour-Oct. 1, 2016
- 15 Interestig article about Luang Prabang & UNESCO heritage appellation
- 16 Bridge players Beware!!
- 17 Is series 2006 usd accepted in thailqnd
- 18 Help finding a ryokan / onsen!
- 19 Travelling in China during the summer period
- 20 Chengdu and Beijing
- 21 One month on Bali/Lombok
- 22 2 months in Indonesia
- 23 a year in burma
- 24 First time to SEA
- 25 First Trip to Japan in April 2016