I have been getting conflicting reports over the past few days about the TWOV option when flying through PEK.
Our issue/My question:
Our family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) are flying RT from SFO to BKK in late Dec/return early January, with stops in Beijing (PEK) on both routes. On the way to BKK, we only have a couple of hours of layover, but on the return flight, we have 9 hours (6:30am - 4:00pm). We have been told by some that we can go through immigration WITHOUT A VISA and leave the airport for the day as long as we have proof of our flight leaving PEK within 24 hours to another country (called a transit stamp).
We would prefer not to get a visa, as they are $140 each, ($700 for family of 5), and if our plane from BKK is running late, we won't have time to leave the airport anyways (and that seems like an obscene amount of money to spend for just a few hours).
Per the IATA website/TIMATIC, this is possible. Per China websites, this is not. On TripAdvisor Forums, people saying yes, this is possible (and easy to do). My father's travel connections in China (used to work there) say no, we need visas.
Would love to know that there is a definitive source of information that I can print out and show at PEK in case of a problem (or know for sure that we can't, so we can figure out which is worse - spending $700 for the visas or spending 9 hours in PEK Terminal 3 with 3 very tired/whiny/cranky kids who just took a redeye from BKK and probably an equally cranky husband).
Any help is much appreciated!!!!
Flying through Beijing: Transit without Visa Question
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Nepal
- 2 Winning Valentine's Day -- and the entire month, for that matter, in INDIA
- 3 Laos for the backpacker
- 4 Thailand-Oceanview Room with private pool
- 5 17 year olds traveling to Thailand
- 6 Would appreciate your comments on my Vietnam itinerary
- 7 Kyushu & Honshu Fall 2011
- 8 Japan - 3wks solo - Kiso Valley logistics and which nights where!
- 9 Short trip to Bangkok via Dubai
- 10 1st time Japan - solo female
- 11 The Golden Land - Adventures in Myanmar
- 12 Myanmar - A Visit to a Country in Transition
- 13 EBC in May Prep
- 14 Revised Itinerary - feedback please
- 15 Hampi & Badami: Exploring the Vijaynagar and Chalukya empires.
- 16 Dubai and Thailand - Bangkok
- 17 First time trip to Japan - Fall 2013
- 18 Questions on Places to See in Burma
- 19 Things to do in Delhi
- 20 Traveling to Burma in April
- 21 Myanmar suspends the work of Doctors without Borders
- 22 Bangkok Airport Taxi
- 23 One-day tours in Kathmandu and Lhasa
- 24 Vietnam, From Top to Bottom in January 2014
- 25 Travels in Tumultuous Thailand, languid Luang Prabang & Smiling Siem Reap