I have been getting conflicting reports over the past few days about the TWOV option when flying through PEK.
Our issue/My question:
Our family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) are flying RT from SFO to BKK in late Dec/return early January, with stops in Beijing (PEK) on both routes. On the way to BKK, we only have a couple of hours of layover, but on the return flight, we have 9 hours (6:30am - 4:00pm). We have been told by some that we can go through immigration WITHOUT A VISA and leave the airport for the day as long as we have proof of our flight leaving PEK within 24 hours to another country (called a transit stamp).
We would prefer not to get a visa, as they are $140 each, ($700 for family of 5), and if our plane from BKK is running late, we won't have time to leave the airport anyways (and that seems like an obscene amount of money to spend for just a few hours).
Per the IATA website/TIMATIC, this is possible. Per China websites, this is not. On TripAdvisor Forums, people saying yes, this is possible (and easy to do). My father's travel connections in China (used to work there) say no, we need visas.
Would love to know that there is a definitive source of information that I can print out and show at PEK in case of a problem (or know for sure that we can't, so we can figure out which is worse - spending $700 for the visas or spending 9 hours in PEK Terminal 3 with 3 very tired/whiny/cranky kids who just took a redeye from BKK and probably an equally cranky husband).
Any help is much appreciated!!!!
Flying through Beijing: Transit without Visa Question
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Spending a Week in Bangalore-Any Ideas?
- 2 21 days thailand and vietnam
- 3 naturalsmaleenhancement.com/t-90-explode/
- 4 India...Men's shorts OK?
- 5 Kllok Travel for Hong Kong. Anybody use it?
- 6 Inida- scenic places, national parks, where to go?
- 7 Car rental recommendation - Kanazawa
- 8 Angkor Wat guide
- 9 Feedback on Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia Itinerary, Please!
- 10 Visa for Burma/Myanmar from US Embassy in DC?
- 11 thai air Discovery pass question
- 12 CAMBODIA to VIETNAM
- 13 Delhi hotel & Pickup
- 14 Travel in India: Some Observations and Impressions
- 15 Tokyo Map Recommendation
- 16 2015 Cherry Blossom Forecast Published
- 17 Restaurant and Shopping Recs in Hong Kong, Shanghai, Seoul, Tokyo
- 18 Samui Travelers, Tell Me it is Safer Than What I'm Reading : (
- 19 Beware of Many China Job & Internship Scams Targeting Tourists
- 20 Driver/Guide recommendation for day trips from Ubud?
- 21 10 days in South Korea?
- 22 Anantara Riverside Bangkok
- 23 Hotels and Hostels in Thailand
- 24 kyoto hotel - dilema
- 25 S E Asia part of our Round the World Trip