I have been getting conflicting reports over the past few days about the TWOV option when flying through PEK.
Our issue/My question:
Our family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) are flying RT from SFO to BKK in late Dec/return early January, with stops in Beijing (PEK) on both routes. On the way to BKK, we only have a couple of hours of layover, but on the return flight, we have 9 hours (6:30am - 4:00pm). We have been told by some that we can go through immigration WITHOUT A VISA and leave the airport for the day as long as we have proof of our flight leaving PEK within 24 hours to another country (called a transit stamp).
We would prefer not to get a visa, as they are $140 each, ($700 for family of 5), and if our plane from BKK is running late, we won't have time to leave the airport anyways (and that seems like an obscene amount of money to spend for just a few hours).
Per the IATA website/TIMATIC, this is possible. Per China websites, this is not. On TripAdvisor Forums, people saying yes, this is possible (and easy to do). My father's travel connections in China (used to work there) say no, we need visas.
Would love to know that there is a definitive source of information that I can print out and show at PEK in case of a problem (or know for sure that we can't, so we can figure out which is worse - spending $700 for the visas or spending 9 hours in PEK Terminal 3 with 3 very tired/whiny/cranky kids who just took a redeye from BKK and probably an equally cranky husband).
Any help is much appreciated!!!!
Flying through Beijing: Transit without Visa Question
- 1 Bangkok restaurant or unique experience for anniversary
- 2 Finding a Small electric Kettle in BKK
- 3 Which mosquito repellent to use for a 9 year old child?
- 4 Bangkok & demonstrations (2013)
- 5 Magical India
- 6 Overwhelmed by info...First time in Philippines...What Island
- 7 Myanmar and Mt Popa
- 8 Hotel Majestic-Saigon
- 9 RECOMMENDATIONS for PRIVATE TOUR GUIDE IN YANGON?
- 10 Indian Visa: Experience with BLS International?
- 11 South East Asia
- 12 Bangkok - Silver Shops
- 13 Questions -> Ko Phi Phi - 4 nights
- 14 A Day Trip To Kanchipuram
- 15 recommendations for tour company for private myanmar tour
- 16 Kathie's Burma Bookshelf
- 17 Considering extending my trip! Please help me figure this out
- 18 Indian Visa
- 19 First time trip to Japan - Fall 2013
- 20 Andaman coast visit - is Phuket worth visiting?
- 21 Planning 1st trip to japan. Ideas?
- 22 Suggestions for additional temples near Angkor (Siem Reap)?
- 23 Airport - hotel transportation in Thailand
- 24 India Visa - Does TRAVISA handle dealing with BLS International?
- 25 India Visa - BLS international. Lost passport FBI complaint