I have been getting conflicting reports over the past few days about the TWOV option when flying through PEK.
Our issue/My question:
Our family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) are flying RT from SFO to BKK in late Dec/return early January, with stops in Beijing (PEK) on both routes. On the way to BKK, we only have a couple of hours of layover, but on the return flight, we have 9 hours (6:30am - 4:00pm). We have been told by some that we can go through immigration WITHOUT A VISA and leave the airport for the day as long as we have proof of our flight leaving PEK within 24 hours to another country (called a transit stamp).
We would prefer not to get a visa, as they are $140 each, ($700 for family of 5), and if our plane from BKK is running late, we won't have time to leave the airport anyways (and that seems like an obscene amount of money to spend for just a few hours).
Per the IATA website/TIMATIC, this is possible. Per China websites, this is not. On TripAdvisor Forums, people saying yes, this is possible (and easy to do). My father's travel connections in China (used to work there) say no, we need visas.
Would love to know that there is a definitive source of information that I can print out and show at PEK in case of a problem (or know for sure that we can't, so we can figure out which is worse - spending $700 for the visas or spending 9 hours in PEK Terminal 3 with 3 very tired/whiny/cranky kids who just took a redeye from BKK and probably an equally cranky husband).
Any help is much appreciated!!!!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Help 1-800-540-6830 YAHOO account Technical Support PhoneNumber
- 2 Get geeks YAHOO TECH SUPPORT 1800-540-6830 INSTANT SUPPORT
- 3 Toll free help 1-800-540-6830 YAHOO account Technical Support PhoneNumber
- 4 Toll free help 1-800-540-6830 YAHOO account Technical Support PhoneNumber
- 5 Toll free help 1-800-540-6830 YAHOO account Technical Support PhoneNumber
- 6 Toll free help 1-800-540-6830 YAHOO account Technical Support PhoneNumber
- 7 Googling to going...to Gujarat!
- 8 Pocket Wi-Fi Speeds (187.5 Mbps v. 75 Mbps)?
- 9 Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam 3 weeks itinerary and visa help
- 10 Hotel Claska vs. Prince Sakura Tower
- 11 Train to Sapa from Hanoi
- 12 sri lanka two places, two hotels
- 13 Can buy a JR Pass in Japan
- 14 Japan rough itinerary
- 15 Last Minute Bali Honeymoon
- 16 Bye bye SE Asia
- 17 Japan - 2 itineraries (7days)
- 18 One night in Osaka
- 19 14 days Japan itinerary. First timers.
- 20 Laos planning.
- 21 Impressions of India
- 22 Japan - costs
- 23 Japan for Foodies
- 24 Planning Honeymoon to Thailand
- 25 3 week SE Asia itinerary