I have been getting conflicting reports over the past few days about the TWOV option when flying through PEK.
Our issue/My question:
Our family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) are flying RT from SFO to BKK in late Dec/return early January, with stops in Beijing (PEK) on both routes. On the way to BKK, we only have a couple of hours of layover, but on the return flight, we have 9 hours (6:30am - 4:00pm). We have been told by some that we can go through immigration WITHOUT A VISA and leave the airport for the day as long as we have proof of our flight leaving PEK within 24 hours to another country (called a transit stamp).
We would prefer not to get a visa, as they are $140 each, ($700 for family of 5), and if our plane from BKK is running late, we won't have time to leave the airport anyways (and that seems like an obscene amount of money to spend for just a few hours).
Per the IATA website/TIMATIC, this is possible. Per China websites, this is not. On TripAdvisor Forums, people saying yes, this is possible (and easy to do). My father's travel connections in China (used to work there) say no, we need visas.
Would love to know that there is a definitive source of information that I can print out and show at PEK in case of a problem (or know for sure that we can't, so we can figure out which is worse - spending $700 for the visas or spending 9 hours in PEK Terminal 3 with 3 very tired/whiny/cranky kids who just took a redeye from BKK and probably an equally cranky husband).
Any help is much appreciated!!!!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 MT. Fuji as a day trip from Tokyo
- 2 Help with hotel in Saigon - An Lam Saigon River or Hotel des Arts??
- 3 Krabi, Koh Lanta or other
- 4 Air Travel in India
- 5 Totally unprepared
- 6 Advice for Japan trip in November
- 7 Are Alexander+Roberts China Tours Any Good?
- 8 where to stay in Bali
- 9 Taxis at Mumbai airport
- 10 Hang Son Doong Cave in Vietnam
- 11 A new opportunity to interact with elephants in Thailand
- 12 A 6-week waking dream in North and South India.
- 13 Honeymoon Indonesia 10 days. Where?
- 14 Nai Thon beach Thailand
- 15 Osaka-Kyoto-Takayama -Kanazawa in 12 days with Kids Doable?
- 16 20 things to think about when interacting with animals in Thailand
- 17 Confused how to organize Burma itinerary.
- 18 Help plan my 11 days trip to Thailand
- 19 TRIP REPORT: Osaka to Hiroshima and in-between stops (tsuyu / summer)
- 20 First time to Japan for 19 year old and Mom (me)
- 21 What seems to be my final itinerary
- 22 Not Really A Trip Report Kind of Trip Report (Japan 2016)
- 23 Advice for 8 days in Nepal
- 24 Tokyo Itinerary Help please
- 25 Hanoi - SaPa - Hue