I have been getting conflicting reports over the past few days about the TWOV option when flying through PEK.
Our issue/My question:
Our family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) are flying RT from SFO to BKK in late Dec/return early January, with stops in Beijing (PEK) on both routes. On the way to BKK, we only have a couple of hours of layover, but on the return flight, we have 9 hours (6:30am - 4:00pm). We have been told by some that we can go through immigration WITHOUT A VISA and leave the airport for the day as long as we have proof of our flight leaving PEK within 24 hours to another country (called a transit stamp).
We would prefer not to get a visa, as they are $140 each, ($700 for family of 5), and if our plane from BKK is running late, we won't have time to leave the airport anyways (and that seems like an obscene amount of money to spend for just a few hours).
Per the IATA website/TIMATIC, this is possible. Per China websites, this is not. On TripAdvisor Forums, people saying yes, this is possible (and easy to do). My father's travel connections in China (used to work there) say no, we need visas.
Would love to know that there is a definitive source of information that I can print out and show at PEK in case of a problem (or know for sure that we can't, so we can figure out which is worse - spending $700 for the visas or spending 9 hours in PEK Terminal 3 with 3 very tired/whiny/cranky kids who just took a redeye from BKK and probably an equally cranky husband).
Any help is much appreciated!!!!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 First trip to Japan
- 2 Some Final Thoughts on a Trip to SE Asia
- 3 Singapore or Bali
- 4 more problems for Tiger Temple - Abbot mauled
- 5 Need a place to stay in Chang Mai
- 6 Hotel in Tokyo
- 7 Borobudur and Yogyakarta - How long?
- 8 Kuala Lumpur & Penang
- 9 traveling from nara to miajima and himeji - help
- 10 Business class on JAL
- 11 NRT 21 hrs layover, need help with train schedule
- 12 Mumbai and tiger trek
- 13 First Time in Thailand Trip Report - Bangkok & Surin Beach, Phuket
- 14 Trekking in Tsum Valley Nepal with Great Vision Treks&Expedition
- 15 Need some planning information for Sri lanka trip
- 16 Sri Lanka itinerary questions and beach resort whale watching
- 17 Kunming, Yunnan, China
- 18 What beach to choose?!?!
- 19 Good Honeymoon Location in August 2015 on a budget
- 20 Private guides & drivers in China
- 21 Dogster: The Great Stumble Forward - India
- 22 My Daughter's 13th Birthday Trip to Tokyo!
- 23 Is the Cable Car to Ngong Ping Village in Hong Kong worth it?
- 24 Transit between International flight and domestic at Narita airport
- 25 Thailand, Myanmar and Cambodia in June