I have been getting conflicting reports over the past few days about the TWOV option when flying through PEK.
Our issue/My question:
Our family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) are flying RT from SFO to BKK in late Dec/return early January, with stops in Beijing (PEK) on both routes. On the way to BKK, we only have a couple of hours of layover, but on the return flight, we have 9 hours (6:30am - 4:00pm). We have been told by some that we can go through immigration WITHOUT A VISA and leave the airport for the day as long as we have proof of our flight leaving PEK within 24 hours to another country (called a transit stamp).
We would prefer not to get a visa, as they are $140 each, ($700 for family of 5), and if our plane from BKK is running late, we won't have time to leave the airport anyways (and that seems like an obscene amount of money to spend for just a few hours).
Per the IATA website/TIMATIC, this is possible. Per China websites, this is not. On TripAdvisor Forums, people saying yes, this is possible (and easy to do). My father's travel connections in China (used to work there) say no, we need visas.
Would love to know that there is a definitive source of information that I can print out and show at PEK in case of a problem (or know for sure that we can't, so we can figure out which is worse - spending $700 for the visas or spending 9 hours in PEK Terminal 3 with 3 very tired/whiny/cranky kids who just took a redeye from BKK and probably an equally cranky husband).
Any help is much appreciated!!!!
Flying through Beijing: Transit without Visa Question
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 reviews wanted for Sinorama tour company
- 2 In Chiang Mai Thailand
- 3 Bangkok airport taxi options
- 4 We Recommend Our Guides! Saigon, Hanoi, Phnom Penh, Angkor
- 5 HELP! BKK, UdonThani&Beach Budget Family
- 6 North Vietnam Again!
- 7 End of March - Seeking a fabulous ryokan relatively near Tokyo for 2 nights
- 8 A week of blue skies in Beijing, who would've guessed?
- 9 Anyone visit an Orphanage while in Sri Lanka???-Want to help if we can
- 10 Has anyone seen any tandem bicycle rentals in Luang Prabang?
- 11 Top ten historical monuments in India - what is yours?
- 12 Driving in Laos
- 13 Best Taiwan Sites
- 14 10 Days in Vietnam/Thailand/Cambodia
- 15 13 Hour layover in KL, never visited city before, ideas?
- 16 Japan Itinerary Help Please! 4.5-4.17
- 17 Passport Safety
- 18 Sightseeing suggestions for Manila
- 19 My trip report from the Philippines
- 20 Art in Shanghai
- 21 One week in Thailand
- 22 Thailand, Laos, Cambodia
- 23 Which to see first - Kyoto or Tokyo?
- 24 A hero in Myanmar: A man who does his job
- 25 Final Itinerary Kyoto area through Kamakura (skipping Tokyo this trip)