I am FINALLY making it to Asia this upcoming April 2015 for a 2.5 week trip, and I am hoping some of the well-traveled Fodorites can weigh in on what countries to focus on based on my travel profile. There are just so many great and diverse options that I haven't been able to make a decision yet.
A little about me and my boyfriend: Both 36, athletic, well-traveled (just not to Asia), love adventure, new experiences culturally, heavy focus on culinary when we travel (both fine-dining and anything local), love hotels and seek to include a mix of luxury with off-the-beaten-path options, enjoy the beach/relaxing but only for a few days sprinkled within a trip, travel budget is usually generous .....we are energetic travelers and look forward to experiencing a country in a unique way (i.e. spearfishing in Puerto Rico, hang gliding in Portugal, ballooning in Napa). I am a super prepared planner and do an inordinate amount of research on the front end so that I can let a trip unfold naturally as we go (without missing anything, haha!).
We will start in Hong Kong for 4 days at The Ritz-Carlton for my company's incentive trip and then....not sure. Do I stay in China because it is simply that amazing and I shouldn't pass it up? It has never been a priority for my travels plans, BUT the more that I read the more amazing it looks. The country is just so large though....would I be able to explore many different areas within such a short time period? Don't want to only go to the major cities or get bogged down traveling from one place to another....want to get out into the countryside and smaller towns.
Also considering Vietnam or Thailand following Hong Kong, both of which are VERY high on my travel wish-list. We will have 2 weeks to play with.....Do one of these options provide more accessibility and the ability to see more/do more in that timeframe ? Or maybe there is a way to do both? Or another country I am not even considering yet?? ugh, rescue me from my indecision!!
I know travel is so subjective, but hopefully I have given a glimpse of what we are looking for and I appreciate your suggestions so much. It will help me focus my planning that much quicker
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 여신 ▣☆접 속 : pts11.컴 ▣☆
- 2 6 nights / 5 days Japan itinerary
- 3 Article on assistance for US citizens with difficulties abroad
- 4 Airport taxis in Bangkok
- 5 3 weeks: solo travel to Thailand (with stop in Hong Kong and Tokyo)?
- 6 DC to Dubai 3 nts, Tokyo 6 nts. Kyoto day trip? Itinerary thoughts?
- 7 Vietnam - Sa Pa
- 8 Kerala trip
- 9 Myanmaromestic flights and transport :cash :guide/travel agency i
- 10 E Visa for India?
- 11 1-2 months South East Asia
- 12 6 weeks: Thailand & Laos. Itinery review?
- 13 Help - India.
- 14 Nice article on Macau in the NYT
- 15 Our trip to Japan. Arigato gozaimasu
- 16 Halong Bay or Bagan?
- 17 Help w/Andaman Sea Itinerary
- 18 Are 8 days enough for this itinerary ?
- 19 Side trips from Taipei
- 20 Georgia and Armenia trip
- 21 Urgent advice appreciated-Myanmar 9 days
- 22 relaxing 5-6 day vacation in sri lanka
- 23 Bicycling in Vietnam
- 24 Thailand Advice Please
- 25 The Indian money crunch.
First-Timers Asia Trip - Country Suggestions from the Experts?