I am FINALLY making it to Asia this upcoming April 2015 for a 2.5 week trip, and I am hoping some of the well-traveled Fodorites can weigh in on what countries to focus on based on my travel profile. There are just so many great and diverse options that I haven't been able to make a decision yet.
A little about me and my boyfriend: Both 36, athletic, well-traveled (just not to Asia), love adventure, new experiences culturally, heavy focus on culinary when we travel (both fine-dining and anything local), love hotels and seek to include a mix of luxury with off-the-beaten-path options, enjoy the beach/relaxing but only for a few days sprinkled within a trip, travel budget is usually generous .....we are energetic travelers and look forward to experiencing a country in a unique way (i.e. spearfishing in Puerto Rico, hang gliding in Portugal, ballooning in Napa). I am a super prepared planner and do an inordinate amount of research on the front end so that I can let a trip unfold naturally as we go (without missing anything, haha!).
We will start in Hong Kong for 4 days at The Ritz-Carlton for my company's incentive trip and then....not sure. Do I stay in China because it is simply that amazing and I shouldn't pass it up? It has never been a priority for my travels plans, BUT the more that I read the more amazing it looks. The country is just so large though....would I be able to explore many different areas within such a short time period? Don't want to only go to the major cities or get bogged down traveling from one place to another....want to get out into the countryside and smaller towns.
Also considering Vietnam or Thailand following Hong Kong, both of which are VERY high on my travel wish-list. We will have 2 weeks to play with.....Do one of these options provide more accessibility and the ability to see more/do more in that timeframe ? Or maybe there is a way to do both? Or another country I am not even considering yet?? ugh, rescue me from my indecision!!
I know travel is so subjective, but hopefully I have given a glimpse of what we are looking for and I appreciate your suggestions so much. It will help me focus my planning that much quicker
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Kuala Lumpur Advice - Tour Recommendation
- 2 Please Critique My Itinerary
- 3 Taiwan confusion..
- 4 Tokyo daytrip
- 5 Elephant Hills or Elephant Haven in Thailand?
- 6 Namaste India - Shopping/Money
- 7 Does it make sense to stay at 2 Tokyo hotels?
- 8 Help with itinerary for 11 days
- 9 Looking for Ryokan in Hakone
- 10 Laos- two weeks in January
- 11 Japan (Tokyo) trip- April or May least expensive to travel?
- 12 Need help with Sri Lanka itinerary and hotels
- 13 Ryokan in Hakone - best location?
- 14 Visa for India
- 15 Snapshots From Kerala
- 16 Need ideas for 9 nights end of Feb. in Malaysia or Indonesia
- 17 Planning First Family Trip to Japan - Advice Needed!
- 18 Other than Kyoto?
- 19 Japan itinerary advice
- 20 Quickie Kathmandu visit worthwhile?
- 21 First time in Japan - itinerary feedback
- 22 Trip Report : China
- 23 help with trip itinerary in April/May
- 24 Japan GTG, early April
- 25 Upcoming friendly planet trip best of India and nepql
First-Timers Asia Trip - Country Suggestions from the Experts?