We are a couple (28 and 30) living in the UK and we have decided to go to Japan around Easter time next year. It's a dream for both of us and we're really, really excited about it, but haven't planned much yet...we're hoping to book flights soon and then gradually plan everything else.
Our idea is to go for around 2 weeks in March/April...are there any days we should avoid for whatever reason (national holidays etc)? We were thinking of flying to Tokyo, spending 4-6 days there, then visiting a few other cities. We're pretty much open to all suggestions, but definitely want to visit Mt Fuji, stay in a ryokan, take the bullet train (we were thinking of a 7-day JR pass for the week we're outside Tokyo?) and perhaps try a cooking class if we could find one which was reasonably priced. We would like to keep costs as low as possible, but understand that Japan is not a cheap country and that skimping too much will affect our enjoyment of the trip, so while we're not going to be staying in the Ritz, we don't need to do overnight buses etc either.
Would anyone be able to advise on Tokyo hotels? We're looking for somewhere clean, in a safe area and in a convenient location for getting around the city (i.e. close to metro). It doesn't need to be fancy - we usually just use hotels for sleeping in, so hotel facilities aren't hugely important. Suggestions of what else to do on our trip are very welcome too!
So excited and can't wait to finally get to Japan!
First time in Japan
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 anyone been to minsk aircraft carrier, Shenzhen while staying in Kowloon
- 2 Food tours in HCMC/Saigon?
- 3 4 wonderful solo weeks in South Korea
- 4 Honeymoon in december 2014
- 5 Tourist Visa for France/UK
- 6 Indonesian visa update
- 7 Popular Thai hi-so restaurants... Any suggestions?
- 8 Destination Bangkok, again
- 9 Weekend Market and Or Tor Kor-Bangkok
- 10 Kyushu Japan: Driver Needed For Amakusa
- 11 Vietnam October 2014
- 12 Distance from Tokyo to port of Yokohama
- 13 Interesting article about "Good News" being tweeted about Tibet
- 14 Shoes for 6 inches of water
- 15 Help us fill our blank itinerary: 1 week in China
- 16 Jeep Safari in Bandhavgarh National Park, India
- 17 India Wildlife Expedition Trip Report!
- 18 3 days in Teheran
- 19 Bhutan, Nepal or both (in about 3 weeks?)
- 20 £0 day visa exempt - 30 day extension
- 21 Myranmar VISA
- 22 new visa fees for Indonesia as of mid-July, 2014
- 23 slightly... paranoid parent
- 24 Takayama vs. Matsumoto
- 25 Craig and Jeane Visit the Last Shangri La: Bhutan 2012