I had a BIG birthday this year, and my hubby offered for me to do a 'Return To Oz' trip. I spent a year doing the backpacking thing in the mid 90's, so am used to travelling solo. (hubby wouldn't do the flight!) So, I'm having a month away (from London and work!) and re-visiting Australia. On the way home I'm treating myself to three days in Hong Kong - just because I've never been, and possibly will never get there again!
My first query is where to stay. I've seen the 'guest houses' in Kowloon, which look prety cheap, and I'm concerned that they're safe? I'm happy to pay £60 a night for a hotel, (even as a single female traveller) so can afford to be somewhere reasonably OK. I'd like to be not too far away from things (although transport looks fairly decent, so probably not an issue) and should I stay in Kowloon or remain on the HK Island side? I beleive the views are better from Kowloon..
Also, is is worth my while getting an Octopus card? I'm used to the London Oyster, so the concept is not alien to me!
Finally... can I get away with not speaking ANY cantonese?!!
Looking forward to your responses!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 BKK Street Food Disappearing per BBC
- 2 Agoda for Myanmar hotels
- 3 Spontaneous trip to Japan
- 4 Questions on Details for 23 Days in Japan
- 5 traveling Japan for 2 months--cities to base in?
- 6 Back to Bangkok this month!
- 7 Hanoi Hotel
- 8 Kyoto to Tokyo on December 31?
- 9 A Food Obsessive's First Time Hong Kong
- 10 Need help choosing a tour company.
- 11 AirAsia from DMK (vs. other airlines from BKK) to Siem Reap
- 12 Family Japan Trip August 2016
- 13 Best area to stay in Tokyo
- 14 MT. Fuji as a day trip from Tokyo
- 15 Ayutthaya & Bangkok - Travel Report
- 16 My plans 5 days japan 1 korea
- 17 Earthquake in Myanmar
- 18 Have you stayed at Dormy Inn Expres s Asakusa ?
- 19 Hakone and Mt Fuji
- 20 Ferrari Hire Bangkok
- 21 A great trip in India
- 22 Burma in Jan, weather questions.
- 23 Onsen ryokan for single near Tokyo
- 24 Rangoon and Lake Inle, how many days?
- 25 Bhutan with Aman hotels, worth it?