I had a BIG birthday this year, and my hubby offered for me to do a 'Return To Oz' trip. I spent a year doing the backpacking thing in the mid 90's, so am used to travelling solo. (hubby wouldn't do the flight!) So, I'm having a month away (from London and work!) and re-visiting Australia. On the way home I'm treating myself to three days in Hong Kong - just because I've never been, and possibly will never get there again!
My first query is where to stay. I've seen the 'guest houses' in Kowloon, which look prety cheap, and I'm concerned that they're safe? I'm happy to pay £60 a night for a hotel, (even as a single female traveller) so can afford to be somewhere reasonably OK. I'd like to be not too far away from things (although transport looks fairly decent, so probably not an issue) and should I stay in Kowloon or remain on the HK Island side? I beleive the views are better from Kowloon..
Also, is is worth my while getting an Octopus card? I'm used to the London Oyster, so the concept is not alien to me!
Finally... can I get away with not speaking ANY cantonese?!!
Looking forward to your responses!
First time in Hong Kong...
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 thanks a tour guide in xi'an
- 2 Guide in Xi"an
- 3 Travel during China national week?
- 4 A wow spot
- 5 Considering a month in Hong Kong - Feb/15. Any apartment suggestions?
- 6 When to go to Japan in April 2015 (blossoms but avoiding Golden Week)
- 7 Burma (Myanmar) proposed itinerary
- 8 RHKKMKs---Just to be copy cats
- 9 Planning First Family Trip to Japan - Advice Needed!
- 10 climbing in Vietnam
- 11 Vegan food in Japan?
- 12 3 1/2 weeks in Japan. Do I need dinner reservations anywhere?
- 13 A quick breakfast in Hong Kong
- 14 Plans for Nepal/Bhutan continued: how does this sound??
- 15 Thailand and Southeast Asia - Advice for Lone Female
- 16 trip to sapa not taking a tour
- 17 Please comment re. itinerary for Indochina
- 18 Which Thai island: Ko Phangan, Ko Koh Kao - or another island???
- 19 Honeymoon in Nha Trang
- 20 Vietnam- when to go to avoid the rain?
- 21 Jw Marriott Phuket or Kho Lak.
- 22 Japan over the New Year
- 23 Crossing Myanmar with own car (Thailand -> India) in Aug or Sep 2014
- 24 Can I arrive 5 days earlier then stated on VISA application?
- 25 Places to buy Malaysian fine crafts