I had a BIG birthday this year, and my hubby offered for me to do a 'Return To Oz' trip. I spent a year doing the backpacking thing in the mid 90's, so am used to travelling solo. (hubby wouldn't do the flight!) So, I'm having a month away (from London and work!) and re-visiting Australia. On the way home I'm treating myself to three days in Hong Kong - just because I've never been, and possibly will never get there again!
My first query is where to stay. I've seen the 'guest houses' in Kowloon, which look prety cheap, and I'm concerned that they're safe? I'm happy to pay £60 a night for a hotel, (even as a single female traveller) so can afford to be somewhere reasonably OK. I'd like to be not too far away from things (although transport looks fairly decent, so probably not an issue) and should I stay in Kowloon or remain on the HK Island side? I beleive the views are better from Kowloon..
Also, is is worth my while getting an Octopus card? I'm used to the London Oyster, so the concept is not alien to me!
Finally... can I get away with not speaking ANY cantonese?!!
Looking forward to your responses!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 SILK BLANKETS: BEIJING or SHANGHAI
- 2 November Itinerary Check
- 3 Advising hotels of time of arrival?
- 4 process for arriving in Narita airport
- 5 Travel within Japan
- 6 Family Trip to India late May/early June
- 7 Bangkok Hotel- near BTS & late check out
- 8 Tasting Sri Lanka
- 9 Vietnam to increase visa cost for Americans
- 10 So excited - going to Siem Reap
- 11 Hotel Chang Mai
- 12 Floods in North and Central Vietnam
- 13 A comprehensive guide for tourists visiting North Goa
- 14 Bhutan paro Tshechu
- 15 Thailand
- 16 Nywoman an older single traveler explores Taiwan and Japan
- 17 Kindly request/need 30 days Thailand+Vietnam itineary advice
- 18 Help with SEAsia itinerary
- 19 Ankor Wat - sunset , sunrise, itinerary
- 20 Hotel in Hanoi
- 21 India help needed
- 22 Beach hotel Thailand
- 23 Cruise to Vietnam -Excursions from cruise terminal
- 24 Permit alert Andaman Islands
- 25 Sim cards and adaptors