Dear Fodor friends,
DH and I are lucky enough to be taking another trip to Japan in May. We have 3 weeks and are focusing on Kyushu. I have a rough itinerary and would appreciate comments. We will arrive in Fukuoka late and then have an additional 16 days.There is some back tracking, I couldn't find a way around it because when we leave Kyushu on Day 17, we are going to Mt Koya - - that's why we have to leave from a city with an early nonstop flight to Osaka (so Yakushima is not at the end of the trip). After our overnight at Mt. Koya we wind up with 3 nights in Kyoto. So I have Plan A and Plan B which differ only in the middle days and not by much.
Day 1: arrive FUK
Day 2tay Fukuoka
Day 3: fly to Yakushima, stay 3 nights
Day 6: fly to Kagoshima, stay 2 nights
Day 8: Drive to Kirishima Onsen
Day 9: Drive to Yufiun/Shirakawa Onsen, stay 3 nights
Day 12: Drive to Amakusa, stay 2 nights
Day 14: Drive to Nagasaki, stay 3 nights
Day 8: Take Orange Train to Kumamoto. Either stay there or go on to Shirakawa.
Days 9 – 11, stay in Yufuin/Shirakawa area, maybe 2 nights in each place
Days 12-16 as above.
With a car, we will do day trips to sights on days 8-11. Distances don't seem great between spots. We like to stay at least two nights in an area, three is better. We'll be staying at very comfortable places that we already have our eyes on which explains some of the overnight spots.
Thanks to all.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Help buy shares online
- 2 Sim cards and adaptors
- 3 Singapor/Malaysia/Thailand trip - Need advices!
- 4 Advising hotels of time of arrival?
- 5 How to Celebrate New Year 2016 in Pakistan?
- 6 Tasting Sri Lanka
- 7 India help needed
- 8 6-8 Weeks in South East Asia
- 9 Sri Lanka Visa
- 10 Hoi Ann hotel
- 11 Hotel in Hanoi
- 12 Place to stay Hue
- 13 Good Places to See in Ooty?
- 14 What are the best places to visit in karnataka during November?
- 15 Permit alert Andaman Islands
- 16 First Trip to Japan - help with planning please
- 17 Sapa - current conditions due to typhoon
- 18 Four Days in South Korea (Incheon and Seoul) with Baby
- 19 First time to Japan - tour or independent trip?
- 20 Trip Report: Malaysia in 2 weeks
- 21 Nywoman an older single traveler explores Taiwan and Japan
- 22 Help with SEAsia itinerary
- 23 Trekking outside Sapa
- 24 Custom Dress and man’s suit made in Hoi Ann
- 25 Advice on where to stay in Luang Prabang
Dear Fodor friends,