I have been reading the forum and getting great information and I thought I would just post the details of our trip and ask if anyone had any particular activities to recommend for or against. We are a couple in mid 50's with a 17 yo daughter and a 21 yr old son. The last 5 days of the trip, the 21yo son's girlfriend will be joining us. Everyone weighed in on what they wanted to see and do so the trip had many moving parts. We have traveled together quite a bit and everyone is pretty easygoing and healthy. There may be some misspelling since I can't read my own chicken scratching when I am typing
I did some of the hotels myself but had help from Castle and Sons with others. We will be using a car and driver supplied by them for the northern portion of our journey and our time in Kerala was planned by Travel Thrills, a company recommended by a colleague of my husband's.
I know that we are squeezing too much in and will need a vacation from our vacation. Perhaps you will be reading my tale of woe in a few months, but I am hopeful it will still be a wonderful experience.
We have already had some bad news since our nonstop flight from Seattle to London was cancelled and they just offered us an American flight through Dallas with 45 min to connect. I think once we are on the London leg, I will be able to relax a little. Unfortunately we are in middle seats the entire route now ;-(
written below is our itinerary with some ideas of activities. Like Violetm, I don't want to do every fort, just a sampling.I would love some advice!
Arriving Indira Gandhi New Delhi 1:25am,planning to stay in Eaton Smart
SpiceJet SG114 Depart New Delhi 13:40, Arrive Varanasi 15:05
Varanasi Lodging Rashmi Guest House
Sightsee in Varanasi
early morning boat ride on Ganges
Meer Ghat Nepali Temple-
Rashmi Guest House
Fly to Delhi SpiceJet SG233 depart Varanasi 11:30 arrive Delhi12: 50
Car to Agra 4-5 hrs , Arrive Agra early evening
?see Taj in the evening
Agra Lodging Hotel Howard Plaza
Sightsee Agra; see Taj in the morning. not sure if we need to see anything else.
Travel by car 5-6 hrs Jaipur
Galta Monkey Palace
hotel Shahapura House
Jantar Mantar Observatory
Chikhi Dhani- folk dances, puppet shows?
Amber Fort? 11 km NE, leave 4 hours to see it
hotel Shahapura House
Morning Sightsee Jaipur,
drive to Udaipur 6-7 hours
Udaipur Hotel Jagat Niwas Palace
Jagdish Temple ( hindu)
had gotten advice not to go to Gardens
boat ride on the lake?
Flight Udaipur to Mumbai 5:45pm arrive Mumbai 7:05pm
Mumbai hotel Hotel Fariyas Mumbai
Flight Mumbai- Aurangabad 6:25 am arriving Aurangabad 7;20 am
See Ajanta Caves
Aurangabad Hotel Lemon Tree
Aurangabad - Explore Ellora Caves
Aurangabad Hotel Lemon Tree
Fly Aurangabad – Mumbai flight S2-3224 7:50 arrival Mumbai 8:40
Mumbai -Calicut Flight S2-4423 11:40 arriving Calicut 13:25
Flight 9W 7093 13:25
Backwater cruise?-haven't been able to find a short one without a stay on board
Stay at hotel Hyson Heritage
Travel to Wayanad-2 hr by car, hairpin turns
Pookada lake ,Lakkadi Hills ,Karalad Lake
Stay at hotel Vythiri resorts (tree house)
trekking to Eddakkai cave , Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuary, Pazhassi tomb
Stay at hotel Vythiri resorts
Drive from Wayanad to Kochi 6.5 hours
Kathakali in the evening?
Stay in hotel Travancore Court
St. Francis Church
Chinese fishing nets
Go to airport 45 min.
Air India Flight A1466 at 7:30 am to Delhi, arriving 10:25
Pick up son's girlfriend who arrives 1.5 hrs previously
Delhi hotel Master Paying Guest house
Old Delhi walks?
High tea at the imperial?
Gawavali singers ( any fest days on 12/30,1/1 or ½?)
Digambaea Temple contains bird hospital 8 am -9 pm
Dances of India 6:45 pm daily?
Pahargang walking tours 2 hr, 10 am former street kids ?
Mcdonald-check out lamb burgers?
Shop C Lal and sons for Christmas ornament
Laxminaayan Mandin Temple ?
Depart Delhi 7:20 am train to Amritsar arrive 13:25;
Pickup from station at 1325 Hrs. check in the hotel
1400 Hrs Visit Jallianwala Bagh and lunch
1530 Hrs Visit Wagah Border
1900 Hrs Visit Durgiana Temple
2000 Hrs Visit Golden Temple
2200 Hrs Drop at Hotel
Amritsar hotel Ranjit Svaasa
5am train Amritsar - Delhi; arrive in Delhi 11:15
sight see Delhi after noon
Delhi Master Paying guest house
Airport hotel Eaton Smart in Terminal 3
Depart Delhi 3am; 7 hr London layover
Arrive same day Seattle 4pm
family trip advice 18 days in India,leaving 12/14/12!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 One-day tours in Kathmandu and Lhasa
- 2 Yet antoher Query on Japan IT.
- 3 Problems booking a hotel in Tokyo
- 4 Myanmar - A Visit to a Country in Transition
- 5 Please share the things you liked in Hanoi and Hoi An
- 6 Transport logistics: Kyoto, Hiroshima/Miyajima, Kyushu
- 7 Alternatives to/within Krabi in April - due to weather and pregnancy
- 8 Ever heard of an Okinawa to Haneda Airpack Fare?
- 9 Excellent Customer Service with Bangkok Food Tours
- 10 Your opinion of our Japan & China itinerary
- 11 Short trip to Bangkok via Dubai
- 12 Nepal
- 13 Kyushu & Honshu Fall 2011
- 14 Would appreciate your comments on my Vietnam itinerary
- 15 Itinerary set: Now some logistical questions on first time trip to Japan
- 16 looking for a great hotel in K.L./ Lost camera!!!!!!!
- 17 4-5 days in SE Asia
- 18 Where did you exchange dollars for Rupees??
- 19 Halong Bay Tour - Is there another day tour you recommend instead?
- 20 1st time Japan - solo female
- 21 David's Trip Report--Japan- November 2013
- 22 From Singapore to NZ: A Remarkable Safari Through Time and Across Cultures
- 23 3 weeks in Japan- Finalized... I think
- 24 Travelling to Thailand from U.S. this June/July
- 25 Odyssey unlimited