An awesome but rarely recommended destination. The countryside is stunning and the people are beautiful and generous. We sent our 14 year old daughter there for 3 months to stay at the Salesian Sisters school in Fuiloro (near Los Palos). Come on Aussies forget Bali and the other cheapies! Diving is (apparently) amazing, on par with the Maldives and there is so much to experience. Accomodation is pretty cheap as are necessities. Hotel Esplanada highly recommended for a luxury stay but there are cheaper alternatives available. Don't let it's tragic history scare you away, it's safe and westerners are welcome and protected. Travel via Bali as it's usually cheaper. The more we go the cheaper it will become.
East Timor (Timor Leste)
View all Asia activity »
- 1 New Year's Week in Tokyo- Advice Please!!
- 2 Bangkok & demonstrations (2013)
- 3 Sketches from Japan - Autumn 2013
- 4 Craig and Jeane's Japan Photos are Up
- 5 First time trip to Japan - Fall 2013
- 6 Myanmar and Mt Popa
- 7 Craig and Jeane Visit Japan - 2013 Trip Report
- 8 1 week Philippines
- 9 Beijing - is the air quality THAT bad?
- 10 Japan: best time to go?
- 11 Magical India
- 12 Car hire in India -- Narendra Kumar and hiredriverindia.com
- 13 Travel Insurance
- 14 Resorts With Private Cabins Instead Of Hotel Rooms?
- 15 Varanasi lodging - to ghat or not to ghat etc etc - help!
- 16 SALAY from BAGAN
- 17 Visa process for those residing in NY/NJ/CT
- 18 Robinson store/Bangrak, Bangkok - has it reopened?
- 19 Next trip: Sri Lanka & Maldives. Need help from the travel gods.
- 20 cell phone in india
- 21 Night cruise to Kyushu from Kansai (Osaka and Kobe)
- 22 Bangkok - Silver Shops
- 23 Thailand-Bangkok-Ko Samui-Chang mai in the begining of May
- 24 Trip Report Kerala: Backwaters & Beach (DEC 2013)
- 25 Plan On Finally Visiting Japan, Looking For Advice...!