An awesome but rarely recommended destination. The countryside is stunning and the people are beautiful and generous. We sent our 14 year old daughter there for 3 months to stay at the Salesian Sisters school in Fuiloro (near Los Palos). Come on Aussies forget Bali and the other cheapies! Diving is (apparently) amazing, on par with the Maldives and there is so much to experience. Accomodation is pretty cheap as are necessities. Hotel Esplanada highly recommended for a luxury stay but there are cheaper alternatives available. Don't let it's tragic history scare you away, it's safe and westerners are welcome and protected. Travel via Bali as it's usually cheaper. The more we go the cheaper it will become.
East Timor (Timor Leste)
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Flying from place to place in Asia - here's our plan with questions
- 2 Problems at 12,000'
- 3 GOING TO SE ASIA , NEED HELP
- 4 Biting the India bullet...well, maybe...
- 5 Hotels in Hong Kong
- 6 April in Bangkok, again!
- 7 India for 2 weeks in December/January
- 8 Drinking cheap in Singapore
- 9 Has anyone done a houseboat trip in Kerala
- 10 Bali trip - Places to visit outside of Bali / SE Asia
- 11 Sixteen Day in South Korea
- 12 SE Asia July/August - more itinerary advice needed
- 13 what gifts to take to host in Cambodia from the U.D.
- 14 Recs for Tokyo hotels
- 15 How safe is Delhi/India
- 16 Malaria
- 17 Vietnam and coffee
- 18 I'm going to Japan!
- 19 Living in Bangalore, India for 12 months. How to handle Malaria?
- 20 Diving in Thailand? Be aware!
- 21 Have you stayed at Outrigger Laguna Beach Resort Phuket?
- 22 Cherry blossom
- 23 Hua Hin or another family friendly beach?
- 24 Trip Report on Recent Journey to Nepal
- 25 Shopping in Akhiabara