An awesome but rarely recommended destination. The countryside is stunning and the people are beautiful and generous. We sent our 14 year old daughter there for 3 months to stay at the Salesian Sisters school in Fuiloro (near Los Palos). Come on Aussies forget Bali and the other cheapies! Diving is (apparently) amazing, on par with the Maldives and there is so much to experience. Accomodation is pretty cheap as are necessities. Hotel Esplanada highly recommended for a luxury stay but there are cheaper alternatives available. Don't let it's tragic history scare you away, it's safe and westerners are welcome and protected. Travel via Bali as it's usually cheaper. The more we go the cheaper it will become.
East Timor (Timor Leste)
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Scouting for early retirement locations
- 2 India, What Can I Say!
- 3 Recommendations for a 2 week tour in ASIA (DEC. 2014)
- 4 Phuket
- 5 Vietnam Itinerary - Please
- 6 Honeymoon in Nha Trang
- 7 Inle lake ... Budget hotel w/ AC?
- 8 Hong Kong for Chinese New Year 2015
- 9 4 wonderful solo weeks in South Korea
- 10 Feedback on India Tour specifics
- 11 Destination Bangkok, again
- 12 Japan--Visiting Saihoji (Moss Temple)
- 13 Travel during China national week?
- 14 South Chaweng beach Hotel Recommendations?
- 15 Trip Report: Java, Bali, Rinca, Borneo, Siem Reap
- 16 One night in Bangkok ... Btw 2 airports
- 17 What's the Best Area to Stay in Seoul for a First-Timer?
- 18 Luang Prabang -- budget guesthouse?
- 19 Thailand and where else in December? Sweden, Australia, Asian cruise?
- 20 Angkor - when to go?
- 21 Nha Trang Island, Phu Quoc, or Sihanoukville
- 22 Honeymoon in december 2014
- 23 India with 4 kids
- 24 Knockoff Designer bags in Vietnam?
- 25 And there goes the neighborhood........