We are going to Japan in about 2 months and plan on spending a week in Hokkaido which will be a new place for us. Will probably use a JR Pass as the trip includes Tokyo and nearby areas.
We have never rented a car on any of our foreign trips. It seems like doing so in Hokkaido may be a good option given the size and scope of attractions (mostly nature stuff).
I am nervous about driving having never done so outside of Canada and the US. Oh, and we don't know how to drive a manual transmission.
Any thoughts, input, opinions would be appreciated. Perhaps Hokkaido can be enjoyed conveniently by bus and rail only?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 A week exploring Hong Kong & Shanghai
- 2 Start in Tokyo or Kyoto?
- 3 Kyoto airbnb/vrbo reco?
- 4 A hungry mouse's (very sweaty) adventures in the Land of the Rising Sun
- 5 Will 3.5 hours be enough for int’l to domestic transfer in Beijing?
- 6 Surgery at Bumrungrad?
- 7 The Best of Bagan - Travel Report
- 8 Japanese Alps, JR option, Kamakura - more advice gratefully accepted!
- 9 Train or Bus from Nikko, Hakone, etc
- 10 Bali & Flores or Sulawesi for first trip to Indonesia!
- 11 10 days in Sri Lanka - Travel Report
- 12 Sri Lanka planning - advice sought.
- 13 12 days in Thailand itinerary
- 14 To see the Himalayas in 10 days?
- 15 November, March, June... Japan?
- 16 Itinerary Help Japan
- 17 3-4 Weeks in Bali alone?
- 18 Connection time in Bangkok on separate tickets
- 19 Hong Kong - Tian Tan Buddha
- 20 Across Vietnam - Travel Guide
- 21 Vietnam/Cambodia itinerary
- 22 Silk Road Tour - China
- 23 Family trip to Japan in November '17
- 24 6 weeks in Nepal, Bhutan, Borneo and more...
- 25 Canggu Surfing - Learn to surf advice