We are going to Japan in about 2 months and plan on spending a week in Hokkaido which will be a new place for us. Will probably use a JR Pass as the trip includes Tokyo and nearby areas.
We have never rented a car on any of our foreign trips. It seems like doing so in Hokkaido may be a good option given the size and scope of attractions (mostly nature stuff).
I am nervous about driving having never done so outside of Canada and the US. Oh, and we don't know how to drive a manual transmission.
Any thoughts, input, opinions would be appreciated. Perhaps Hokkaido can be enjoyed conveniently by bus and rail only?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Across Uzbekistan with MIR
- 2 The ethics of choosing to visit a repressive country like Myanmar
- 3 New Vietnam eVisa service
- 4 Vietnam with kids/teens
- 5 Sri Lanka advice
- 6 First time in Japan - itinerary feedback
- 7 Ryokan in Japan
- 8 Indonesia (other than Bali!)
- 9 Effects of Labour Day & Buddha's Birthday on HK touring?
- 10 Sri Lanka for 13 nights -need advice
- 11 Googling to going...to Gujarat!
- 12 Itinerary & airport help
- 13 Dinner spots for solo traveller
- 14 [Travel to ThaiLand]
- 15 Train trip costs help please
- 16 Snapshots From Kerala
- 17 Fethiye to Bodrum
- 18 Where to go for 3 days in SEA after business meeting in Singapore?
- 19 Vietnam for 14 days help to find travel company
- 20 help with trip itinerary in April/May
- 21 Visiting Sri Lanka for the First Time
- 22 Awesome trip to Yellow Mountains and Hangzhou in China!
- 23 Bhutan... Have You Been
- 24 Getting Yourself Around Beijing
- 25 Good Places to See in Ooty?