We are going to Japan in about 2 months and plan on spending a week in Hokkaido which will be a new place for us. Will probably use a JR Pass as the trip includes Tokyo and nearby areas.
We have never rented a car on any of our foreign trips. It seems like doing so in Hokkaido may be a good option given the size and scope of attractions (mostly nature stuff).
I am nervous about driving having never done so outside of Canada and the US. Oh, and we don't know how to drive a manual transmission.
Any thoughts, input, opinions would be appreciated. Perhaps Hokkaido can be enjoyed conveniently by bus and rail only?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Japan for Foodies
- 2 David's Abbreviated Trip Report-Japan, Part 2-Sakura 2017
- 3 Japan Cherry Blossom 2018
- 4 Taipei Art Scene - Travel Report
- 5 Advice itinerary trip Thailand/Laos in July
- 6 Singapore weather in August/September
- 7 Across Uzbekistan with MIR
- 8 One night in Osaka
- 9 Japan's Kyushu: Takachiho Gorge - Travel Report
- 10 First time going abroad
- 11 Sapporo to Lake Akan
- 12 First Time to Japan..Itin Advice Needed
- 13 sri lanka two places, two hotels
- 14 Backpacking on a budget
- 15 Googling to going...to Gujarat!
- 16 10 Days in Japan- Itinerary Review
- 17 travel to shirakawago from kyoto
- 18 Do It Yourself/No taxi Tour in China?
- 19 electric plug
- 20 Day trips from Sapporo
- 21 Etiquette in Japan
- 22 Northern Thailand Options
- 23 Kurashiki versus Kosanji Temple
- 24 Bhutan travel operator and number of days
- 25 Machiya Residence Inn-Kyoto