We are going to Japan in about 2 months and plan on spending a week in Hokkaido which will be a new place for us. Will probably use a JR Pass as the trip includes Tokyo and nearby areas.
We have never rented a car on any of our foreign trips. It seems like doing so in Hokkaido may be a good option given the size and scope of attractions (mostly nature stuff).
I am nervous about driving having never done so outside of Canada and the US. Oh, and we don't know how to drive a manual transmission.
Any thoughts, input, opinions would be appreciated. Perhaps Hokkaido can be enjoyed conveniently by bus and rail only?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Cherry Blossom season Mount Fuji area
- 2 Japan GTG, early April
- 3 Beijing tours
- 4 Goodbye, Carol Simpson
- 5 Googling to going...to Gujarat!
- 6 Advice needed from Japan train pros
- 7 Honest opinion needed about Thailand
- 8 A Netflix series for those who enjoy Tokyo
- 9 Takayama trail, Japan
- 10 Hotels near Takefu Train Station
- 11 1 day itinerary in Busan
- 12 Trip report : Annapurna Circuit October 2016
- 13 Japan - Will We Get Lost?
- 14 On the road again - to Incredible India.
- 15 HK to Beijing for 3 weeks- mid March to early April- itinerary help please!
- 16 Cambodia to Vietnam e-visa image format
- 17 Nakasendo Walk: Some help please
- 18 Visa for India
- 19 Best place to buy real cheap designer bags ?
- 20 Hong Kong and Angkor Wat
- 21 Hútòng Walking
- 22 Asia Forum Fans: Craig and Jeane Visit Ecuador and the Galapagos
- 23 Singapore SAEX bus service question
- 24 21 Hours in Hong Kong
- 25 best options for cell phone in Vietnam and Thailand