Planning to spend 3 weeks or so in Thailand and Laos and have so far booked fares to Bangkok only. We will arrive on 2/2/2014 at about 8.00 pm.
Here's the rough plan:
3 nights Bangkok ( we have been twice before) to get some glasses and clothes made.
5 nights Chiang Mai (we have a friend of a friend living there and plan to leverage his local knowledge)
3 nights Chiang Rai (some trekking perhaps and elephants)
Get to Chiang Kong for Luang Say two night cruise to Luang Prabang spend 5 nights in LP, 1 night in Vang Vieng, then 2 in Vientiane, fly to Bangkok.
1.We'd like to take a boat from Bangkok to Ayutthaya in the morning, see the temples and then pick up the train to Chiang Mai at about 9.00 pm, is it feasible to take luggage with us on the tour boat ? Would there be somewhere safe to leave it ? Maybe left luggage at the train station??? There will be one small and one medium wheeled suitcase.
2.From CM to CR we are thinking of hiring a car and driver to take us to Tha Ton to pick up the daily 12.30 pm boat to CR. How long does that drive take, and is it relatively easy to hire a car & driver? What should we roughly pay ?
3. Best way of getting from CR to Huay Xai for Luang Say boat which departs at 9.30 am (although you are asked to be there at 8.30) including getting visa on arrival ? Again I was thinking of car and driver, how long is the drive ? May have to stay the night on the border, would you recommend Chiang Kong or Huay Xai ?
4. Any suggestions for guest house type luxury accomodation in Q3 ?
We like boats and trains, not bus travel much and have been to SE Asia a fair bit in the past 9 years.
Thanks for any answers or suggestions !
Draft itinerary - appreciate some input
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 fun travel buddy wanted - se asia nov/dec
- 2 Travel to Thailand - Open to suggestions
- 3 New Thailand Visa Rules Effective Aug/29/2014
- 4 Sapphire princess cruise from Singapore
- 5 JR PASS AND ITINERARY
- 6 Places to visit in India in October
- 7 Two questions about Thailand
- 8 50+ travelling solo in Vietnam - where to stay in Hanoi
- 9 Six hours in Seoul, Korea
- 10 china
- 11 Sri Lanka trip Sept 2014
- 12 Please critique my Thailand itinerary
- 13 Souvenirs/shopping in Thailand
- 14 Suggestions for bike tour operators that offer smaller tours (4-5 days)
- 15 Mid Dec trip - Trying to plan alone **Feedback please****
- 16 THAILAND** Redone based on feedback dropped agent trying to do it myself
- 17 New airport in Mumbai
- 18 Advice me to select saving plans in terms of free roaming
- 19 South East Asia
- 20 Driving in Laos
- 21 One week in Tokyo
- 22 Agent to book domestic Nepal flights
- 23 Ideal itereneray for Nepal
- 24 Where to next after watching Nanjing 2014 YOG
- 25 Overnight layover/transit in PEK or Shanghai WITHOUT a visa?