Planning to spend 3 weeks or so in Thailand and Laos and have so far booked fares to Bangkok only. We will arrive on 2/2/2014 at about 8.00 pm.
Here's the rough plan:
3 nights Bangkok ( we have been twice before) to get some glasses and clothes made.
5 nights Chiang Mai (we have a friend of a friend living there and plan to leverage his local knowledge)
3 nights Chiang Rai (some trekking perhaps and elephants)
Get to Chiang Kong for Luang Say two night cruise to Luang Prabang spend 5 nights in LP, 1 night in Vang Vieng, then 2 in Vientiane, fly to Bangkok.
1.We'd like to take a boat from Bangkok to Ayutthaya in the morning, see the temples and then pick up the train to Chiang Mai at about 9.00 pm, is it feasible to take luggage with us on the tour boat ? Would there be somewhere safe to leave it ? Maybe left luggage at the train station??? There will be one small and one medium wheeled suitcase.
2.From CM to CR we are thinking of hiring a car and driver to take us to Tha Ton to pick up the daily 12.30 pm boat to CR. How long does that drive take, and is it relatively easy to hire a car & driver? What should we roughly pay ?
3. Best way of getting from CR to Huay Xai for Luang Say boat which departs at 9.30 am (although you are asked to be there at 8.30) including getting visa on arrival ? Again I was thinking of car and driver, how long is the drive ? May have to stay the night on the border, would you recommend Chiang Kong or Huay Xai ?
4. Any suggestions for guest house type luxury accomodation in Q3 ?
We like boats and trains, not bus travel much and have been to SE Asia a fair bit in the past 9 years.
Thanks for any answers or suggestions !
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Honeymoon destination help!!!!!
- 2 Feedback on rough one month SE Asia trip
- 3 A beach of choice on Samui
- 4 Internship in Beijing - 4 weeks Where to stay?
- 5 Quick question about Vietnam Visa Exception during overland crossing
- 6 Help w/ 20 Days in South India & Sri Lanka
- 7 myanmar
- 8 On the road again - to Incredible India.
- 9 Travel India solo
- 10 Month in Cambodia and Laos - January 2017
- 11 3.5 Weeks in Japan (First-time) Itinerary Help
- 12 Hotel Suggestions - New Delhi
- 13 Busan Central Bus Terminal
- 14 2 months in Taiwan - relaxing & hassle-free breaks in/out of the country?
- 15 Where to stay in Tokyo
- 16 Seeking Help With My Sri Lanka And South India Itinerary: Rough Draft #1
- 17 Osaka, aquarium?
- 18 Tuk-tuk, songthew or taxi?
- 19 Gilli t to Bali (Denpasar airport)
- 20 Shanghai as a base to also explore Jiangsu and Zhejiang?
- 21 Update on cash situation in India for imminent visitors
- 22 Bali in Feb. for nature & unique cultural perspectives
- 23 North India Itinerary advice
- 24 Indonesia travel agent
- 25 First time in India and Nepal-HELP