It's my understanding that train tickets can not be purchased by an individual more than 10 days in advance, but that travel agents/on-line services will sell you tickets in advance for about $25 USD service fee.
I'm wondering if soft sleeper train tickets on the following trains are often sold out. Should I pay the extra $25USD fee to buy in advance? Or can I wait until I arrive in Beijing 5 days before my first train trip and ask our hotel/hostel/local travel agent to book the tickets for us? Our itintery is pretty tight, and it would be sad if we weren't able to get soft sleeper tickets for all 3 train trips. But our budget is also tight, so I don't want to pay the $25 service fee per ticket if it's not really necessary.
I appreciate your advise!
Arrive in Beijing midnight 9/6
Ideal train trips:
9/11 Beijing West - Datong #1482/1483
Leaving 8:35 - Arriving 15:03
$25 soft sleeper on-line price + $25 service fee
9/12 Datong-Pingyao #2462/2463
Leaving 23:17 - Arriving next day 6:25
$30 soft sleeper on-line price + $25 service fee
9/14 Datong-Xi'an #2669
Leaving 21:38 - Arriving next day 6:18
$33 soft sleeper on-line price + $25 service fee
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Terracotta Warriors
- 2 Destinations like Ubud or Seminyak in Bali?
- 3 Across Uzbekistan with MIR
- 4 Travel from Busan to Seoul by bus
- 5 Japan Itinerary!
- 6 Kyoto Temples and Imperial Palace - Travel Report
- 7 trying to fathom Chinese train travel
- 8 Travelling the Silk Road - Trip Report
- 9 hiking japan sept
- 10 Cooking class/Food Tour/Fish market tour
- 11 Japan rough itinerary
- 12 Bangkok- Sky Bars
- 13 2 weeks in Asia with my adult kids Xmas
- 14 Please recommend a hotel in Mumbai
- 15 Japan Itinerary Help Needed
- 16 Bangkok- Dinner Cruises
- 17 shanghai for 4 days
- 18 Budget Servied Apt
- 19 7 hour layover in Beijing
- 20 Trip Report: Second Time to Japan - Sakura, Gardens and Castles
- 21 TRIP REPORT: Just back from first time to Japan!
- 22 Himeji Castle - luggage storage
- 23 What areas to stay in Singapore & Bali
- 24 Opinions on Osaka? And other burning questions...
- 25 Something about... Malaysia
Do trains in China sell out? Should I pay a $25 fee to book in advance?