It's my understanding that train tickets can not be purchased by an individual more than 10 days in advance, but that travel agents/on-line services will sell you tickets in advance for about $25 USD service fee.
I'm wondering if soft sleeper train tickets on the following trains are often sold out. Should I pay the extra $25USD fee to buy in advance? Or can I wait until I arrive in Beijing 5 days before my first train trip and ask our hotel/hostel/local travel agent to book the tickets for us? Our itintery is pretty tight, and it would be sad if we weren't able to get soft sleeper tickets for all 3 train trips. But our budget is also tight, so I don't want to pay the $25 service fee per ticket if it's not really necessary.
I appreciate your advise!
Arrive in Beijing midnight 9/6
Ideal train trips:
9/11 Beijing West - Datong #1482/1483
Leaving 8:35 - Arriving 15:03
$25 soft sleeper on-line price + $25 service fee
9/12 Datong-Pingyao #2462/2463
Leaving 23:17 - Arriving next day 6:25
$30 soft sleeper on-line price + $25 service fee
9/14 Datong-Xi'an #2669
Leaving 21:38 - Arriving next day 6:18
$33 soft sleeper on-line price + $25 service fee
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 help with s.e.a. trip destination for xmas, family of 4
- 2 http://slimbodyketone.co.uk/max-robust-xtreme/
- 3 India (north-east) + Maldives ititneraty help
- 4 AirAsia ASEAN pass?
- 5 travel to Malaysia or Indonesia
- 6 Best place for a solo traveler to find a travel partner
- 7 Googling to going...to Gujarat!
- 8 Bangkok transport to Shangri La Hotel
- 9 Tokyo hotel help
- 10 Private tours in Northern India
- 11 Bhutan... Have You Been
- 12 To the Gili Islands - From Ubud or South Bali?
- 13 The ethics of choosing to visit a repressive country like Myanmar
- 14 Purchasing Kamagawa Odori tickets?
- 15 Indonesia (other than Bali!)
- 16 Fethiye to Bodrum
- 17 Vietnam visa
- 18 Izu Peninsula: Ito or Izu?
- 19 Family Friendly Penang
- 20 Train trip costs help please
- 21 Weather forecast
- 22 Bali - What to do?
- 23 Across Uzbekistan with MIR
- 24 New Vietnam eVisa service
- 25 Vietnam with kids/teens
Do trains in China sell out? Should I pay a $25 fee to book in advance?