It's my understanding that train tickets can not be purchased by an individual more than 10 days in advance, but that travel agents/on-line services will sell you tickets in advance for about $25 USD service fee.
I'm wondering if soft sleeper train tickets on the following trains are often sold out. Should I pay the extra $25USD fee to buy in advance? Or can I wait until I arrive in Beijing 5 days before my first train trip and ask our hotel/hostel/local travel agent to book the tickets for us? Our itintery is pretty tight, and it would be sad if we weren't able to get soft sleeper tickets for all 3 train trips. But our budget is also tight, so I don't want to pay the $25 service fee per ticket if it's not really necessary.
I appreciate your advise!
Arrive in Beijing midnight 9/6
Ideal train trips:
9/11 Beijing West - Datong #1482/1483
Leaving 8:35 - Arriving 15:03
$25 soft sleeper on-line price + $25 service fee
9/12 Datong-Pingyao #2462/2463
Leaving 23:17 - Arriving next day 6:25
$30 soft sleeper on-line price + $25 service fee
9/14 Datong-Xi'an #2669
Leaving 21:38 - Arriving next day 6:18
$33 soft sleeper on-line price + $25 service fee
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Vietnam for 14 days help to find travel company
- 2 Hong Kong and Angkor Wat
- 3 A Netflix series for those who enjoy Tokyo
- 4 Advice needed from Japan train pros
- 5 GETTING A CHINESE VISA--PERFECTION REQUIRED
- 6 HK to Beijing for 3 weeks- mid March to early April- itinerary help please!
- 7 Cherry Blossom season Mount Fuji area
- 8 Tokyo - Kamakura - Yokohama
- 9 Japan GTG, early April
- 10 Beijing tours
- 11 Tour Agency Recommendation
- 12 Goodbye, Carol Simpson
- 13 Googling to going...to Gujarat!
- 14 Honest opinion needed about Thailand
- 15 Takayama trail, Japan
- 16 Hotels near Takefu Train Station
- 17 1 day itinerary in Busan
- 18 Trip report : Annapurna Circuit October 2016
- 19 Japan - Will We Get Lost?
- 20 On the road again - to Incredible India.
- 21 Cambodia to Vietnam e-visa image format
- 22 Nakasendo Walk: Some help please
- 23 Visa for India
- 24 Best place to buy real cheap designer bags ?
- 25 Hútòng Walking
Do trains in China sell out? Should I pay a $25 fee to book in advance?