We are a young couple (mid-20s) currently traveling in Laos. We are in Vientiane at the moment, leaving for Vang Vieng tomorrow (where we'll spend a couple of nights), then onward to Luang Prabang, where we will spend the final 6 days of our trip.
Would be so grateful for any travel suggestions from those who have been to Luang Prabang about unique side trips/excursions into the surrounding countryside: we would love to see hill tribe villages, or any other places of natural beauty/cultural interest. In the 6 or so days we have planned in LP, we're thinking maybe 2-3 days exploring LP (is that enough time?) plus another day or two to visit Kuang Si Waterfalls and Pak Ou Caves (would love to hear thoughts on that as well). That leaves us with an extra 1-2 days, during which we'd love to go more off-the-beaten-path experience any must-see places!
While we're not opposed to a tour, we have a strong preference to travel independently, and in our experience, tours (at least those within our budget) seem to rarely stray from the tourist trail.
Many thanks in advance for anyone generous enough to offer their suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Beijing tours
- 2 Advice needed from Japan train pros
- 3 Trip Report : China
- 4 Vietnam for 14 days help to find travel company
- 5 Pandaw-up the Chindwin TR
- 6 HK to Beijing for 3 weeks- mid March to early April- itinerary help please!
- 7 A great trip in India
- 8 Japan GTG, early April
- 9 Googling to going...to Gujarat!
- 10 Hong Kong and Angkor Wat
- 11 A Netflix series for those who enjoy Tokyo
- 12 Cherry Blossom season Mount Fuji area
- 13 Tokyo - Kamakura - Yokohama
- 14 Tour Agency Recommendation
- 15 Goodbye, Carol Simpson
- 16 Honest opinion needed about Thailand
- 17 Takayama trail, Japan
- 18 Hotels near Takefu Train Station
- 19 1 day itinerary in Busan
- 20 Trip report : Annapurna Circuit October 2016
- 21 Japan - Will We Get Lost?
- 22 On the road again - to Incredible India.
- 23 Cambodia to Vietnam e-visa image format
- 24 Nakasendo Walk: Some help please
- 25 Visa for India