WHY INDIA AGAIN?
By way of introduction, Jeane and I are experienced travelers in our mid-50's. Our first trip to Asia was Thailand in 2000. With a couple of exceptions, we have returned to Asia 2-1/2 weeks at a time, each year since then. We have visited Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Bali and Vietnam. Our first trip to India was in 2005. While it was a good first exposure to India, we barely scratched the surface of this huge country, visiting Delhi, Jaipur, Agra and Ranthambore (Park). We knew that if we did nothing else in India, we needed to return to visit the holy city of Varanasi. Since almost all of our Asian trips have begun or ended in Bangkok, I started our planning this year by looking at the daily Thai Airways flight between Bangkok and Varanasi. The flight operates in the winter months only, so it worked out for us in February. Based on the experiences of a couple of other prominent Fodorites - Kathie and dogster, we decided to add 8 days in Nepal to our itinerary and finish up with 3 days in Bangkok. It was not to be – about a month before we were scheduled to depart, we started to hear about frequent strikes or “bandhs” that were occurring regularly all over the country. During these strikes, areas of Nepal were effectively shut down – no commerce, no taxi's, no services. We heard about protesters stationed at key intersections setting cars of those that did not honor the strike on fire. We heard about tourists unable to make it to the airport. We decided to change our plans at pretty much the last minute.
Since we already had our visas, the logical thing to do was to explore more of India. After considering airfares and times and consulting with the helpful folks on this board, we decided to substitute Udaipur and Aurangabad for Nepal. For the most part, it worked out well. However, our itinerary now had 13 sets of take-offs and landings over 17 days. While it was good that the number of take-offs and landings turned out to be equal, it was way too much time in airports. I'll go into all the gory details as this trip report unfolds...
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Elderly tourists attacked in Thailand
- 2 Italy from an Asian base
- 3 Another South East Asian sojourn.
- 4 2 weeks in Java
- 5 Bags are packed for Bangkok!
- 6 20 Days In Japan: We survived Sakura!
- 7 TRIP REPORT: Just returned from first visit to Japan!
- 8 Southeast Asia Itinerary Advice
- 9 Japan SIM / Phone Data Options
- 10 2 Weeks in Japan July 2016
- 11 Shinkansen (Bullet Train) Kyoto-Tokyo---Step by step process
- 12 Delhi, India Hotels/Guest Houses
- 13 Handeda to Narita airports, train or bus?
- 14 My new 10 year china visa
- 15 Hotel with easy access to Itami airport
- 16 Bitchu-Matsuyama Castle Visit
- 17 5 days in Tokyo, late June with pregnant wife
- 18 Impulse 8-day trip to China - questions
- 19 suggestions for 2nd time to Vietnam itinerary
- 20 Update on riding elephants
- 21 Our really quite big adventure, Act 2: a short intermission in Hong Kong
- 22 SOUTHEAST ASIA 6 WEEKS
- 23 Medical Trip Insurance: To Buy Or Not To Buy
- 24 NYT article on Bangkok's River of Kings
- 25 Thailand 1st time - June travel
Craig & Jeane 2010 Trip Report: Varanasi, Udaipur & Aurangabad + Bangkok
WHY INDIA AGAIN?