WHY INDIA AGAIN?
By way of introduction, Jeane and I are experienced travelers in our mid-50's. Our first trip to Asia was Thailand in 2000. With a couple of exceptions, we have returned to Asia 2-1/2 weeks at a time, each year since then. We have visited Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Bali and Vietnam. Our first trip to India was in 2005. While it was a good first exposure to India, we barely scratched the surface of this huge country, visiting Delhi, Jaipur, Agra and Ranthambore (Park). We knew that if we did nothing else in India, we needed to return to visit the holy city of Varanasi. Since almost all of our Asian trips have begun or ended in Bangkok, I started our planning this year by looking at the daily Thai Airways flight between Bangkok and Varanasi. The flight operates in the winter months only, so it worked out for us in February. Based on the experiences of a couple of other prominent Fodorites - Kathie and dogster, we decided to add 8 days in Nepal to our itinerary and finish up with 3 days in Bangkok. It was not to be – about a month before we were scheduled to depart, we started to hear about frequent strikes or “bandhs” that were occurring regularly all over the country. During these strikes, areas of Nepal were effectively shut down – no commerce, no taxi's, no services. We heard about protesters stationed at key intersections setting cars of those that did not honor the strike on fire. We heard about tourists unable to make it to the airport. We decided to change our plans at pretty much the last minute.
Since we already had our visas, the logical thing to do was to explore more of India. After considering airfares and times and consulting with the helpful folks on this board, we decided to substitute Udaipur and Aurangabad for Nepal. For the most part, it worked out well. However, our itinerary now had 13 sets of take-offs and landings over 17 days. While it was good that the number of take-offs and landings turned out to be equal, it was way too much time in airports. I'll go into all the gory details as this trip report unfolds...
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Hong Kong and Angkor Wat
- 2 Cherry Blossom season Mount Fuji area
- 3 Japan GTG, early April
- 4 Advice needed from Japan train pros
- 5 Beijing tours
- 6 Goodbye, Carol Simpson
- 7 Googling to going...to Gujarat!
- 8 Honest opinion needed about Thailand
- 9 A Netflix series for those who enjoy Tokyo
- 10 Takayama trail, Japan
- 11 Hotels near Takefu Train Station
- 12 1 day itinerary in Busan
- 13 Trip report : Annapurna Circuit October 2016
- 14 Japan - Will We Get Lost?
- 15 On the road again - to Incredible India.
- 16 HK to Beijing for 3 weeks- mid March to early April- itinerary help please!
- 17 Cambodia to Vietnam e-visa image format
- 18 Nakasendo Walk: Some help please
- 19 Visa for India
- 20 Best place to buy real cheap designer bags ?
- 21 Hútòng Walking
- 22 Asia Forum Fans: Craig and Jeane Visit Ecuador and the Galapagos
- 23 Singapore SAEX bus service question
- 24 21 Hours in Hong Kong
- 25 best options for cell phone in Vietnam and Thailand
Craig & Jeane 2010 Trip Report: Varanasi, Udaipur & Aurangabad + Bangkok
WHY INDIA AGAIN?