Siem Reap Town
In June 2012 whilst visiting the wonders of Angkor Wat, I decided to propose to my girlfriend. She thankfully said yes.
As we were in Cambodia we decided to buy the engagement ring there and then. We eventually found the above shop after visiting 4 other shops. The ring we bought, price USD 3500.00, was according to the shop staff and owner and proof of authenticity a
On returning we got this valued for insurance purposes. It was then discovered that the 'diamond' was in fact zirconia and worthless.
When we contacted City Gems they denied it was a fake BUT said that they would refund USD 3150 (if it was not a fake then why would they agree to a refund ? You decide if they are con artists ).
The only way they would refund is if we sent the ring back to them. This we were not prepared to do as if they cannot be trusted to sell genuine items they cannot be trusted to say they received the ring.
As we paid by credit card ( City Gems said they would give better discounts if we paid by cash ! Again you decide if they are con artists ) I contacted my bank who took this up on our behalf. After nearly 3 months we were given a full refund.
There are many reputable jewellers in Siem Reap, but this is not one of them.
I have sent the above to many Cambodian tour operators.
City Gems 'Jewellers' Siem Reap-Read Before Buying ANYTHING
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 India - Himalaya - Dooars - naturebeyond and east himalaya travel agents
- 2 border crossing over land Bangkok to Myanmar (Phunaron)
- 3 Nepal
- 4 Which Beach in Koh Samui
- 5 Orphanages in Sri Lanka
- 6 Headed to Thailand this June/July--Help!!
- 7 Karen and Tom - a romantic Vietnam getaway: ENGAGED!!!
- 8 Trip Report - Yunnan Province, China and Mongolia
- 9 China in 12 Days
- 10 Japan Itinerary & Logistics - help, feeling frantic!
- 11 language problem in japan
- 12 Getting down to details and welcome advice: Tokyo
- 13 Finally, Smeagol and Muffins Japanese adventure begins.....
- 14 two free days in Beijing
- 15 hotels in Singapore-1st time there
- 16 April in Bangkok, again!
- 17 Top ten historical monuments in India - what is yours?
- 18 Japan - spending money?
- 19 Teaching English in Asia or Europe
- 20 Hong Kong in August - hotel question
- 21 Travel agencies in India e.g. Legends and Palaces, Castle and King
- 22 1st Trip to Bali
- 23 Finally Going To Bali! Please Help With Flight and Alam Shanti Question
- 24 7 days in Nepal, any suggestions?
- 25 Your thoughts on Nepal and how long to visit