Siem Reap Town
In June 2012 whilst visiting the wonders of Angkor Wat, I decided to propose to my girlfriend. She thankfully said yes.
As we were in Cambodia we decided to buy the engagement ring there and then. We eventually found the above shop after visiting 4 other shops. The ring we bought, price USD 3500.00, was according to the shop staff and owner and proof of authenticity a
On returning we got this valued for insurance purposes. It was then discovered that the 'diamond' was in fact zirconia and worthless.
When we contacted City Gems they denied it was a fake BUT said that they would refund USD 3150 (if it was not a fake then why would they agree to a refund ? You decide if they are con artists ).
The only way they would refund is if we sent the ring back to them. This we were not prepared to do as if they cannot be trusted to sell genuine items they cannot be trusted to say they received the ring.
As we paid by credit card ( City Gems said they would give better discounts if we paid by cash ! Again you decide if they are con artists ) I contacted my bank who took this up on our behalf. After nearly 3 months we were given a full refund.
There are many reputable jewellers in Siem Reap, but this is not one of them.
I have sent the above to many Cambodian tour operators.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Myanmar Itinerary -would like some help!
- 2 Indonesia Dilemma
- 3 Please Critique My Itinerary
- 4 5 Days to Ao Nang and Phuket from Hat Yai
- 5 Tokyo daytrip
- 6 Japan 2nd Attempt – One Month
- 7 Bangkok hotel Shangri La or Mandarin Oriental
- 8 Chenghdu layover
- 9 Kuala Lumpur Advice - Tour Recommendation
- 10 On the road again - to Incredible India.
- 11 Help with 2 week itinerary; Beijing to Hong Kong
- 12 Surfing in Indonesia
- 13 Review My 23 Day Japan Itinerary
- 14 Narita Airport to Shinjuku
- 15 Getting a Tote from Thailand-JFK
- 16 Japan / Korea Trip
- 17 vietnam visa
- 18 Cherry Blossom season Mount Fuji area
- 19 Sri Lanka- elephants
- 20 Taiwan confusion..
- 21 Japan (Tokyo) trip- April or May least expensive to travel?
- 22 Japan GTG, early April
- 23 Does it make sense to stay at 2 Tokyo hotels?
- 24 Bangkok - Pavement [sidewalk] obstructions
- 25 Trip Report : China
City Gems 'Jewellers' Siem Reap-Read Before Buying ANYTHING