Siem Reap Town
In June 2012 whilst visiting the wonders of Angkor Wat, I decided to propose to my girlfriend. She thankfully said yes.
As we were in Cambodia we decided to buy the engagement ring there and then. We eventually found the above shop after visiting 4 other shops. The ring we bought, price USD 3500.00, was according to the shop staff and owner and proof of authenticity a
On returning we got this valued for insurance purposes. It was then discovered that the 'diamond' was in fact zirconia and worthless.
When we contacted City Gems they denied it was a fake BUT said that they would refund USD 3150 (if it was not a fake then why would they agree to a refund ? You decide if they are con artists ).
The only way they would refund is if we sent the ring back to them. This we were not prepared to do as if they cannot be trusted to sell genuine items they cannot be trusted to say they received the ring.
As we paid by credit card ( City Gems said they would give better discounts if we paid by cash ! Again you decide if they are con artists ) I contacted my bank who took this up on our behalf. After nearly 3 months we were given a full refund.
There are many reputable jewellers in Siem Reap, but this is not one of them.
I have sent the above to many Cambodian tour operators.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Sweltering, steamy, sizzingly southern India--It was hot!
- 2 Eating in India
- 3 17-Day Itinerary
- 4 India On Arrival Visa
- 5 vietnam transportation
- 6 Where to eat on a budget in Tokyo
- 7 Need Help for the itinerary
- 8 Old post about handycraft area in Luang Prabang
- 9 Hotel in Hanoi
- 10 Five Days in Ha Giang - Unforgettable
- 11 4 wonderful solo weeks in South Korea
- 12 12 days in Japan
- 13 Qatar airlines to mumbai
- 14 Best place to get a SIM card or phone for Japan, India?
- 15 Tigerwalah Experience
- 16 Udon Thani, Thailand - Rustic Pathways high school summer program
- 17 Where best to stay in Penang
- 18 Itinerary Hong Kong and Japan - 12 full days
- 19 Bullet train - which JR stations in Tokyo to go to Kyoto
- 20 Beaches closest to Rajasthan
- 21 Myanmar- Popular Sights and even a few hospitals!
- 22 Places to see in Kuala Lumpur
- 23 honeymoon in Thailand-help
- 24 Travel from Tokyo to Kanazawa
- 25 Mumbai Airport Help. Is 2 hours enough time for domestic transfer?
City Gems 'Jewellers' Siem Reap-Read Before Buying ANYTHING