Siem Reap Town
In June 2012 whilst visiting the wonders of Angkor Wat, I decided to propose to my girlfriend. She thankfully said yes.
As we were in Cambodia we decided to buy the engagement ring there and then. We eventually found the above shop after visiting 4 other shops. The ring we bought, price USD 3500.00, was according to the shop staff and owner and proof of authenticity a
On returning we got this valued for insurance purposes. It was then discovered that the 'diamond' was in fact zirconia and worthless.
When we contacted City Gems they denied it was a fake BUT said that they would refund USD 3150 (if it was not a fake then why would they agree to a refund ? You decide if they are con artists ).
The only way they would refund is if we sent the ring back to them. This we were not prepared to do as if they cannot be trusted to sell genuine items they cannot be trusted to say they received the ring.
As we paid by credit card ( City Gems said they would give better discounts if we paid by cash ! Again you decide if they are con artists ) I contacted my bank who took this up on our behalf. After nearly 3 months we were given a full refund.
There are many reputable jewellers in Siem Reap, but this is not one of them.
I have sent the above to many Cambodian tour operators.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Planning for India - comments please
- 2 Silver Jewellery is Popular For Its Specific Properties.
- 3 Vietnam with kids/teens
- 4 Colombo city tour with Ceylon Rustic Guide?
- 5 What island to visit while visiting HongKong
- 6 Solo advice for Tokyo and Hong Kong
- 7 Advice on hotels in Shinjuku
- 8 Traffic and Police in India
- 9 Tokyo-to do and districts
- 10 Kerala House Boat book online?
- 11 New Thai Visa
- 12 Georgia (country) Trip Report
- 13 First time in Japan in November - Request Itinerary Help
- 14 Best One World Flight Routing For Indonesia: September, 2018
- 15 Why Should I include Colombo in my tour itinerary?
- 16 New Years in Japan
- 17 A Victory Day Tour
- 18 India visa for new passport
- 19 Osaka Food Guide - Travel Report
- 20 Best natural wonders in Japan?
- 21 Tuk Tuk Driver For Cochin
- 22 A hungry mouse's (very sweaty) adventures in the Land of the Rising Sun
- 23 Serendipity Srilanka
- 24 Good fare for US west coast to Japan?
- 25 What outwear would you pack for late August?
City Gems 'Jewellers' Siem Reap-Read Before Buying ANYTHING