Siem Reap Town
In June 2012 whilst visiting the wonders of Angkor Wat, I decided to propose to my girlfriend. She thankfully said yes.
As we were in Cambodia we decided to buy the engagement ring there and then. We eventually found the above shop after visiting 4 other shops. The ring we bought, price USD 3500.00, was according to the shop staff and owner and proof of authenticity a
On returning we got this valued for insurance purposes. It was then discovered that the 'diamond' was in fact zirconia and worthless.
When we contacted City Gems they denied it was a fake BUT said that they would refund USD 3150 (if it was not a fake then why would they agree to a refund ? You decide if they are con artists ).
The only way they would refund is if we sent the ring back to them. This we were not prepared to do as if they cannot be trusted to sell genuine items they cannot be trusted to say they received the ring.
As we paid by credit card ( City Gems said they would give better discounts if we paid by cash ! Again you decide if they are con artists ) I contacted my bank who took this up on our behalf. After nearly 3 months we were given a full refund.
There are many reputable jewellers in Siem Reap, but this is not one of them.
I have sent the above to many Cambodian tour operators.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Bucket List Trip: Bali, Angkor Wat,Japan
- 2 Thoughts on this itinerary
- 3 It can be cheap but awesome!
- 4 Totally unprepared
- 5 Yogyakarta - Prambanan and Borobudur Travel Report
- 6 Help plan my 11 days trip to Thailand
- 7 Shanghai Airpor overnight
- 8 Chengdu, China - Giant Panda Research Base Travel Report
- 9 Bhutan with Aman hotels, worth it?
- 10 Rental Car Bali
- 11 1 day in Bangkok Itinerary for Honeymoon
- 12 Kyoto & Tokyo tips
- 13 Good Eats in Chiang Mai / Chiang Rai
- 14 A great trip in India
- 15 Itinerary 3-1/2 week trip to Hong Kong, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand
- 16 Krabi, Koh Lanta or other
- 17 Nai Thon beach Thailand
- 18 A 6-week waking dream in North and South India.
- 19 "China Eastern Airline" is it really bad??
- 20 Beggars in Siem Reap and Angkor
- 21 Some notes about South Korea
- 22 Tokyo Itinerary Help please
- 23 A Memorable Solo Month in Singapore, Java, and Bali
- 24 Burma itinerary critic.
- 25 Fabric shops in India
City Gems 'Jewellers' Siem Reap-Read Before Buying ANYTHING