Asia Forums

Start a new topic Change Forum
Advanced search

China next week... supposedly

Jump to last reply

Hi everyone, I haven't been on the Asia board for awhile. Life has been so busy (with a new man in my life). :-)

My daughter Julie and I are supposed to leave Friday for a trip to China. I haven't posted questions because we're (boo, hiss) doing a tour with G Adventures. Some of you may recall Julie and I went to Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia on our own several years ago, with much help from this board. Then I ventured back to Asia with Intrepid to India two years ago. Now it's China, with what I think is a terrific itinerary: Beijing, Xian, Yangshuo, Longsheng, and Shanghai.

The problem? I hurt my back (small tear in a disc) and am teetering on the brink of whether to go postpone the trip. The pain has been significant at times since July and I've taken one Prednisone pack (steroid), which helped tremendously for a week or so, and I had a cortisone shot in my back two weeks ago. I felt great for awhile, but now I seem to be declining somewhat. I have Prednisone to take along and I may try to get another cortisone shot this week if possible.

I'd like to go but don't want to be in China and be in a lot of pain and unable to do things. I can walk without much difficulty on level ground but hills/stairs are somewhat difficult. I can't do any heavy lifting - and bending over to pick up something off the ground is extremely difficult. I'm thinking the Prednisone will get me through if I get worse.

I do have trip insurance on the tour, but not on the airfare. I've called United (am waitlisted for business class) and I could rebook the flight up to six months out with a $250 fee for each ticket.

At this point I'm leaning toward going if I can get the cortisone shot this week. The doctor said I could go - just need to be careful. He did say he'd had patients in my situation who went on trips and they did well at first but weren't feeling so well toward the end of the trip.

So, given my itinerary and what I've told you about my physical condition, I'd welcome your thoughts. If I postpone, I'll probably reschedule for March or April. Not keen on losing the money and I am eager to go. Just feeling a little uncertain.

Thanks, everyone.
Karen

32 Replies |Back to top

| Add a Reply

Sign in to comment.

Recent Activity

View all Asia activity »
  1. 1 How safe is it for US Citizens in Hat Yai and Violence in Southern Thailand
  2. 2 Elephants and Tigers (no bears), oh my.
  3. 3 Vietnam - In Search of Accessible Nature
  4. 4 Heading to Koh Lipe, missing the boat. So need to spend the night.
  5. 5 Obtaining Multiple-entry China Visa for American in Hong Kong
  6. 6 Trip Report RHKKMKs---Just to be copy cats
  7. 7 Trip Report Alleppey Backwater Cruise at Kerala
  8. 8 Kashmir today
  9. 9 Trip Report Vietnam Trip Report: March 2014
  10. 10 Beijing Air Quality Forecast
  11. 11 Luang Prabang Waterfall
  12. 12 Asia July 2015 for 2 weeks
  13. 13 Trip Report Sikkim, Darjeeling and Kolkata: an Unusual First Trip to India
  14. 14 Vietnam Visa on Arrival - Help
  15. 15 Triple Room in Singapore
  16. 16 Trip Report A trip to Mahabaleshwar (India)
  17. 17 What I like about Mumbai
  18. 18 Favorite hotel in X'ian?
  19. 19 GPS points for Mustang - Naar Phu, Saribung pass, Saribung peak
  20. 20 11D Family 4 Adults 3 kids age 1, 4, 6 Taiwan trip need advice on itinerary
  21. 21 Sri Lanka - Itinerary Ideas?
  22. 22 "China Eastern Airline" is it really bad??
  23. 23 6 full days in Yagoon
  24. 24 Where to Play Basketball in Tokyo
  25. 25 Yikes! How to get a Visa to India??
View next 25 » Back to the top