I will be travelling to China in mid October for 2 weeks. I am arriving in Hong Kong and will be leaving from Beijing. Quite a few itinerary suggestions seem to include Guilin/Yangshuo, and then going to Shanghai, Xi'an and Beijing. However, I feel like this would be a bit rushed in such short time. For now, what I am thinking is to skip Guilin and Yangshuo, and instead fly from Hong Kong to Shanghai. I'm mostly interested in architecture (modern and ancient), history and culture, although I'd love to throw in a bit of nature (maybe hiking?).
I was wondering if you would have any suggestions on great places to visit based on my interests, ideally along some kind of Shanghai to Beijing route. I'm thinking that Xi'an might not be worth it for me as I have little interest in the Terracotta Warriors (although I very well might be wrong about that). I'd love to hike a mountain, I've been looking more particularly at Mt. Huangshan or Mt. Hua.
Considering I'll probably need 2 full days in Hong Kong and 4 full days in Beijing, that'd leave 7 days free. I'm thinking maybe 3 days in Shanghai, a day trip to a water town, one on Mt. Huangshan, a few days in Pingyao? Or would skipping either Xi'an or Yangshuo be a huge mistake?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
China: Hong Kong to Beijing 2 weeks itinerary help needed
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Bangkok's JW vs. Marriott Resort and Spa
- 2 Bagan Entry Fee to Rise by One-Third
- 3 Thailand - a few more details: phones, and driving map
- 4 RHKKMKs---Just to be copy cats
- 5 Need a guide in Burma?
- 6 What to pack? For Burma and Thailand
- 7 Bangkok/Phuket hotel and suggestions to do?
- 8 Yikes! How to get a Visa to India??
- 9 Japan and Hong Kong, September 2014
- 10 Angkor Wat tour guide recommedations
- 11 We recommend our Seoul serviced apartment
- 12 Crossing Myanmar with own car (Thailand -> India) in Aug or Sep 2014
- 13 Vietnam Part 7 - the Final Leg
- 14 End Oct & early Nov a good time for viewing wildlife in Borneo?
- 15 One Week in Beijing, what would you do?
- 16 Help with Myanmar Itinerary 15 nights
- 17 How safe is it for US Citizens in Hat Yai and Violence in Southern Thailand
- 18 Thailand - what to wear in November, and, cosmetics
- 19 Xian - Make your own warriors?
- 20 Kyoto and beyond - 9 days trip in April 2014
- 21 Japan & Korea - A little of this, a little of that
- 22 Vietnam Visa on Arrival - Help
- 23 Overnight trek to Mine Thauk Village?
- 24 Elephants and Tigers (no bears), oh my.
- 25 Belated 2012 Trip Report - Two Weeks in South Korea