I will be travelling to China in mid October for 2 weeks. I am arriving in Hong Kong and will be leaving from Beijing. Quite a few itinerary suggestions seem to include Guilin/Yangshuo, and then going to Shanghai, Xi'an and Beijing. However, I feel like this would be a bit rushed in such short time. For now, what I am thinking is to skip Guilin and Yangshuo, and instead fly from Hong Kong to Shanghai. I'm mostly interested in architecture (modern and ancient), history and culture, although I'd love to throw in a bit of nature (maybe hiking?).
I was wondering if you would have any suggestions on great places to visit based on my interests, ideally along some kind of Shanghai to Beijing route. I'm thinking that Xi'an might not be worth it for me as I have little interest in the Terracotta Warriors (although I very well might be wrong about that). I'd love to hike a mountain, I've been looking more particularly at Mt. Huangshan or Mt. Hua.
Considering I'll probably need 2 full days in Hong Kong and 4 full days in Beijing, that'd leave 7 days free. I'm thinking maybe 3 days in Shanghai, a day trip to a water town, one on Mt. Huangshan, a few days in Pingyao? Or would skipping either Xi'an or Yangshuo be a huge mistake?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Seoul Searching Questions
- 2 Southern India here we come
- 3 Hidden puchasing gems in Bali?
- 4 Travelling in China during the summer period
- 5 Vietnam vs. Beijing
- 6 2 months in Indonesia
- 7 First Trip to Japan in April 2016
- 8 last minute lodging in kyoto
- 9 Itinerary set for Japan trip #2: working on some details
- 10 Kampot/Kep- 3 days
- 11 Prehistoric sites in Java and Bali
- 12 Sinorama Tour-Oct. 1, 2016
- 13 I miss Mongolia
- 14 HK - affordable "outer" areas for accommodation
- 15 Visa on Arrival
- 16 Cooking Classes & Private Tours- Bangkok
- 17 Advice on Cambodia & Vietnam please.
- 18 Cambodia to Vietnam via Phu Quoc - visa question, please help
- 19 4 wonderful solo weeks in South Korea
- 20 Japanese art
- 21 Trip with kids. Singapore or Japan ??
- 22 Hong Kong - 3 nights/days - Itinerary Suggestions?
- 23 Which website to check train availability & cost
- 24 First time to SEA
- 25 Viewing Tigers in India - Best Time of Year?