I will be travelling to China in mid October for 2 weeks. I am arriving in Hong Kong and will be leaving from Beijing. Quite a few itinerary suggestions seem to include Guilin/Yangshuo, and then going to Shanghai, Xi'an and Beijing. However, I feel like this would be a bit rushed in such short time. For now, what I am thinking is to skip Guilin and Yangshuo, and instead fly from Hong Kong to Shanghai. I'm mostly interested in architecture (modern and ancient), history and culture, although I'd love to throw in a bit of nature (maybe hiking?).
I was wondering if you would have any suggestions on great places to visit based on my interests, ideally along some kind of Shanghai to Beijing route. I'm thinking that Xi'an might not be worth it for me as I have little interest in the Terracotta Warriors (although I very well might be wrong about that). I'd love to hike a mountain, I've been looking more particularly at Mt. Huangshan or Mt. Hua.
Considering I'll probably need 2 full days in Hong Kong and 4 full days in Beijing, that'd leave 7 days free. I'm thinking maybe 3 days in Shanghai, a day trip to a water town, one on Mt. Huangshan, a few days in Pingyao? Or would skipping either Xi'an or Yangshuo be a huge mistake?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Back from a Trip of a Lifetime! Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia!
- 2 Pl suggest itinerary in Taipei / surrounds for 6 nights Nov 2015
- 3 where can I buy IASO?
- 4 looking for 1 week Vietnam itinerary suggestions
- 5 Vietnam - 7 days from HCM
- 6 Elephants, Gibbons and Cambodian Countryside
- 7 Looking for country suggestions for 2 week itinerary for next year's trip
- 8 Chaing Mai how long and 1-day meditation retreat
- 9 November trip to Myanmar and Cambodia
- 10 Thailand For 5 weeks starting 11/5/2015
- 11 HONG KONG: 9 Must-Dine Restaurants To Suit Every Budget
- 12 Surin Beach - Rubbish Reports?
- 13 Once again, possible Nepal backup
- 14 Thai Air Suspends L.A. Flight
- 15 Help please! Trying to plan an Asia/Middle East/Russia trip!
- 16 Kyushu planning (March-April)
- 17 Yangon's growing photography scene
- 18 Bagan must see with a guide
- 19 Okinawa on Anthony Bourdain tonight
- 20 Nepal - Safe to Go Mid Oct? Earthquakes + Political Unrest
- 21 Arashiyama Excursion
- 22 Hotel reservations for Chiang Mai 11/9-11-16?
- 23 Pondicherry hotel
- 24 Trip Report: Second Time to Japan - Sakura, Gardens and Castles
- 25 Christmas in Bali