I will be travelling to China in mid October for 2 weeks. I am arriving in Hong Kong and will be leaving from Beijing. Quite a few itinerary suggestions seem to include Guilin/Yangshuo, and then going to Shanghai, Xi'an and Beijing. However, I feel like this would be a bit rushed in such short time. For now, what I am thinking is to skip Guilin and Yangshuo, and instead fly from Hong Kong to Shanghai. I'm mostly interested in architecture (modern and ancient), history and culture, although I'd love to throw in a bit of nature (maybe hiking?).
I was wondering if you would have any suggestions on great places to visit based on my interests, ideally along some kind of Shanghai to Beijing route. I'm thinking that Xi'an might not be worth it for me as I have little interest in the Terracotta Warriors (although I very well might be wrong about that). I'd love to hike a mountain, I've been looking more particularly at Mt. Huangshan or Mt. Hua.
Considering I'll probably need 2 full days in Hong Kong and 4 full days in Beijing, that'd leave 7 days free. I'm thinking maybe 3 days in Shanghai, a day trip to a water town, one on Mt. Huangshan, a few days in Pingyao? Or would skipping either Xi'an or Yangshuo be a huge mistake?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Qatar airlines to mumbai
- 2 Old post about handycraft area in Luang Prabang
- 3 Sweltering, steamy, sizzingly southern India--It was hot!
- 4 Hotel in Hanoi
- 5 4 wonderful solo weeks in South Korea
- 6 Best place to get a SIM card or phone for Japan, India?
- 7 Tigerwalah Experience
- 8 Udon Thani, Thailand - Rustic Pathways high school summer program
- 9 Where best to stay in Penang
- 10 Itinerary Hong Kong and Japan - 12 full days
- 11 Bullet train - which JR stations in Tokyo to go to Kyoto
- 12 Beaches closest to Rajasthan
- 13 Myanmar- Popular Sights and even a few hospitals!
- 14 Places to see in Kuala Lumpur
- 15 honeymoon in Thailand-help
- 16 Travel from Tokyo to Kanazawa
- 17 Mumbai Airport Help. Is 2 hours enough time for domestic transfer?
- 18 Beijing tours -- worth it?
- 19 Sien Reap Guide/Accomodation
- 20 KOYA-SAN: Hotel, please
- 21 Private guide and driver for India
- 22 NYT: Local cuisine in Siem Reap
- 23 Kavey April 2016 Japan Itinerary Planning
- 24 2 weeks in Asia with a 2 year old (in February)
- 25 Five Days in Ha Giang - Unforgettable