I will be travelling to China in mid October for 2 weeks. I am arriving in Hong Kong and will be leaving from Beijing. Quite a few itinerary suggestions seem to include Guilin/Yangshuo, and then going to Shanghai, Xi'an and Beijing. However, I feel like this would be a bit rushed in such short time. For now, what I am thinking is to skip Guilin and Yangshuo, and instead fly from Hong Kong to Shanghai. I'm mostly interested in architecture (modern and ancient), history and culture, although I'd love to throw in a bit of nature (maybe hiking?).
I was wondering if you would have any suggestions on great places to visit based on my interests, ideally along some kind of Shanghai to Beijing route. I'm thinking that Xi'an might not be worth it for me as I have little interest in the Terracotta Warriors (although I very well might be wrong about that). I'd love to hike a mountain, I've been looking more particularly at Mt. Huangshan or Mt. Hua.
Considering I'll probably need 2 full days in Hong Kong and 4 full days in Beijing, that'd leave 7 days free. I'm thinking maybe 3 days in Shanghai, a day trip to a water town, one on Mt. Huangshan, a few days in Pingyao? Or would skipping either Xi'an or Yangshuo be a huge mistake?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Kyushu in late September
- 2 Ha Giang or SaPa
- 3 Myanmar- Popular Sights and even a few hospitals!
- 4 Planning a 2-week trip to Thailand in mid-August
- 5 hanoi eats
- 6 Castle & King tour questions
- 7 TMI re Northern Vietnam rural "homestays"?
- 8 Advice on tour company to Sri Lanka
- 9 5 days Japan
- 10 Chiang Mai Itinerary 3 days - help with organizing?
- 11 My First India Trip
- 12 Bicycle riding required?
- 13 A train ride through Java
- 14 Sri Lanka east cost beaches
- 15 Jogyakarta & - Bali?
- 16 A graduation celebration: Two weeks in Singapore, Java and Bali
- 17 Shanghai to Guilin Weekend Trip-July
- 18 Kathie’s Return to Jogja
- 19 Would This Deter You From Flying On Lao Airlines?
- 20 My Daughter's 13th Birthday Trip to Tokyo!
- 21 Shanghai, Xi'an, Beijing
- 22 JAPANiCAN.com
- 23 Kyoto, Nara, Osaka - 9 days
- 24 Tour Payment Deposit to Castle and King
- 25 2+3 days in Hong Kong - help w. planning