I will be travelling to China in mid October for 2 weeks. I am arriving in Hong Kong and will be leaving from Beijing. Quite a few itinerary suggestions seem to include Guilin/Yangshuo, and then going to Shanghai, Xi'an and Beijing. However, I feel like this would be a bit rushed in such short time. For now, what I am thinking is to skip Guilin and Yangshuo, and instead fly from Hong Kong to Shanghai. I'm mostly interested in architecture (modern and ancient), history and culture, although I'd love to throw in a bit of nature (maybe hiking?).
I was wondering if you would have any suggestions on great places to visit based on my interests, ideally along some kind of Shanghai to Beijing route. I'm thinking that Xi'an might not be worth it for me as I have little interest in the Terracotta Warriors (although I very well might be wrong about that). I'd love to hike a mountain, I've been looking more particularly at Mt. Huangshan or Mt. Hua.
Considering I'll probably need 2 full days in Hong Kong and 4 full days in Beijing, that'd leave 7 days free. I'm thinking maybe 3 days in Shanghai, a day trip to a water town, one on Mt. Huangshan, a few days in Pingyao? Or would skipping either Xi'an or Yangshuo be a huge mistake?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 March Trip - Where to Go?
- 2 Help with our time in Mandalay, please
- 3 Is there a train from Laem Chabong to Bangkok
- 4 Visa for India
- 5 Is it possible to do the Southeast Asian mainland on a bus?
- 6 Vietnam-Halong Bay overnight Cruises
- 7 Bangkok to Chiang Mai, train or fly?
- 8 NY Times article on Sulawesi and seeing the Torajan death rituals
- 9 Mobile apps for Asian countries
- 10 Craig and Jeane Visit Japan - 2013 Trip Report
- 11 Cooking class in Rajasthan India.
- 12 Finally, Smeagol and Muffins Japanese adventure begins.....
- 13 Myanmar- Popular Sights and even a few hospitals!
- 14 Flower Arranging in Kyoto
- 15 Early planning for yet another "second trip" to Japan
- 16 Qatar airlines to mumbai
- 17 INDIA - AMAZING PRIVATE TRIP IN MAY 2014
- 18 Hotel for two night stop over in Singapore
- 19 i Lanka Tea Plantaion Stay
- 20 Buying jewelry in India
- 21 Jaipur's Gem Palace
- 22 Chiang Mai
- 23 Phuket Weather
- 24 hanoi eats
- 25 Castle & King tour operator review