I will be travelling to China in mid October for 2 weeks. I am arriving in Hong Kong and will be leaving from Beijing. Quite a few itinerary suggestions seem to include Guilin/Yangshuo, and then going to Shanghai, Xi'an and Beijing. However, I feel like this would be a bit rushed in such short time. For now, what I am thinking is to skip Guilin and Yangshuo, and instead fly from Hong Kong to Shanghai. I'm mostly interested in architecture (modern and ancient), history and culture, although I'd love to throw in a bit of nature (maybe hiking?).
I was wondering if you would have any suggestions on great places to visit based on my interests, ideally along some kind of Shanghai to Beijing route. I'm thinking that Xi'an might not be worth it for me as I have little interest in the Terracotta Warriors (although I very well might be wrong about that). I'd love to hike a mountain, I've been looking more particularly at Mt. Huangshan or Mt. Hua.
Considering I'll probably need 2 full days in Hong Kong and 4 full days in Beijing, that'd leave 7 days free. I'm thinking maybe 3 days in Shanghai, a day trip to a water town, one on Mt. Huangshan, a few days in Pingyao? Or would skipping either Xi'an or Yangshuo be a huge mistake?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Trip to Thailand - advice
- 2 Italy from an Asian base
- 3 Elderly tourists attacked in Thailand
- 4 2 weeks in Java
- 5 Another South East Asian sojourn.
- 6 Bags are packed for Bangkok!
- 7 20 Days In Japan: We survived Sakura!
- 8 TRIP REPORT: Just returned from first visit to Japan!
- 9 Southeast Asia Itinerary Advice
- 10 Japan SIM / Phone Data Options
- 11 2 Weeks in Japan July 2016
- 12 Shinkansen (Bullet Train) Kyoto-Tokyo---Step by step process
- 13 Delhi, India Hotels/Guest Houses
- 14 Handeda to Narita airports, train or bus?
- 15 My new 10 year china visa
- 16 Hotel with easy access to Itami airport
- 17 Bitchu-Matsuyama Castle Visit
- 18 5 days in Tokyo, late June with pregnant wife
- 19 Impulse 8-day trip to China - questions
- 20 suggestions for 2nd time to Vietnam itinerary
- 21 Update on riding elephants
- 22 Our really quite big adventure, Act 2: a short intermission in Hong Kong
- 23 SOUTHEAST ASIA 6 WEEKS
- 24 Medical Trip Insurance: To Buy Or Not To Buy
- 25 NYT article on Bangkok's River of Kings