I am travelling to Beijing and Shenzhen with work in March. I'll have a few days at the beginning of my trip where I'd like to relax and have a look around Beijing, then work, at the end I'll have time to stay in Shenzhen and visit Hong Kong, possibly Macau and Guangzhou time dependent. I visited China about ten years ago with my parents to Beijing, Shanghai, Xi'an and Guilin. We were in a private tour but they were always keen for us to have a guide with us - would I encounter any issues? My mother passed away last year and I'd be travelling myself, I am a Western female in my twenties with limited Mandarin. I'd also probably be on a business visa. I'd like to use this opportunity to see some of the 'real' China.
I have acquaintances in Yinchuan, Ningxia; Baotou, Inner Mongolia, Taiyuan, Shanxi; Xining, Qinghai, Changsha, Hunan; and Sanya, Hainan. I am into experiencing culture and packing sights in (although I remember the pace on our holiday to China was too extreme!) I am not the kind of person who could spend a holiday on the beach! I was thinking perhaps Baotou and Ningxia would be the most interesting - I'd love to see Inner Mongolia but i have heard very mixed reviews about industrial Baotou which I'd use Baotou as a base as I'd like to see the Genghis Khan mausoleum at Ordos and possibly Xilamuren or similar grassland although it wont be green.
For Xining, I am not so sure as I;d like to see a little bit of Tibetan culture and go to Qinghai lake but the friend I have there will be working so not sure how easy it is to do myself although she will look for a tour. She was going to find me a private apartment to stay in but then I heard about having to register with the authorities as a foreigner, etc. But the province itself looks interesting plus the fact you could get to Zhangye in 2 hours.
So basically I am now thinking of flying from Shenzhen direct to Xining then taking the train or plane to Yinchuan. This puts me off as it is either a 12 hour train ride (can you bring a large case on the train) or an infrequent flight. Then a 6 hour train to Baotou and I'd fly back to Beijing where I'll get my flight home. Alternatively I can fly back from Shenzhen to Beijing and travel from there.
Sorry for the long post but any experience in these regions or if I am packing too much in or tips would be appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Japan Itinerary for 12 Nights and 13 Days
- 2 Thailand Guides
- 3 Bangkok in 3 days - Weekdays
- 4 For those traveling to Bali soon
- 5 Feedback on Kyushu itinerary
- 6 Experiance /More Than 120 Countries
- 7 Cancelling trip to Burma; seeking advice for outskirts of Bangkok
- 8 Wild China vs Travel Guide China (or the like)
- 9 Phuket Beaches
- 10 India itinerary critique please
- 11 Japan Itinerary!
- 12 A short trip report of Vietnam, Dec 2016
- 13 cross from Ketapang in Java to Gilimanuk in Bali
- 14 India for Softies : A slow comfortable tour around some of Northern India
- 15 Magical India
- 16 Best location for snorkelling/ beach/ quiet resort/ great Thai food
- 17 Need for promethium sprayed mosquito nets for SEAsia travel
- 18 Vientiane and ??
- 19 JFK to BKK sale on Qatar
- 20 Possible itinerary - 4 days in Georgia
- 21 16 days in Japan--how to divide time?
- 22 Himachal Pradesh
- 23 Luggage size China ?
- 24 New Vietnam eVisa service
- 25 Thai Elephants