I will be in Myanmar for 2 weeks in December on a guided tour with a friend. Then I'll be solo. I'll be taking a lot of flights/covering a lot of territory on the tour. After the trip I have some extra vacation time and I want to go somewhere I can park myself for a little while and take in the days at a somewhat leisurely pace and enjoy walking around. I've been to Luang Prabang (which I adored) and figure I'll save Angkor Wat for another trip. Been to Bali recently and have spent a little time in Vietnam. So I zeroed in on Chaing Mai. I've read through the archives and also another forum - I know some love it-finding it quaint, charming, with a great art scene and say 2 weeks is not enough. Others are not so enamored. My Myanmar trip ends Dec 20-The. I have about 10-11 days to explore.I now realize this is high season so I know I have to book very soon Availability might inform my decisions. I'd like mix of guided tours and city exploration on my own. I'm thinking of doing a day/night at the silent meditation retreat in Chaing Mai, which is Tues-Wed. My instinct is telling me to do it when I arrive in CM rather than at the end of my trip.
Has anyone gone to this retreat?
Should I consider Chaing Rai (or somewhere else) - or stay the entire time in Chaing Mai?
I could go from Yangon to Chaing Rai, - I would only have Sun afternoon and all day Monday. Then I guess I'd need to leave early Tues in order to be at the CM retreat by 1PM Tues. My budget is pretty flexible and I don't mind paying for nice experiences and accommodations. I like joining day group trips since I'm on my own but private guide is fine too. I want to do the half day Elephant preserve (the eco one with no riding)- some of the temples (I may have a little temple fatigue but I'll definitely want to see some).I live in a big city and love cities - so beach is not high on my list. Been to Bangkok once--to major sites. Any suggestions are most appreciated. Thanks.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 http://supplementplatform.com/alpha-levo-energize/
- 2 Awesome trip to Yellow Mountains and Hangzhou in China!
- 3 Moderate hotel in Phuket
- 4 Off roading in Asia
- 5 Do It Yourself/No taxi Tour in China?
- 6 Transportation from PVG to Hotel
- 7 IMMUNIZATIONS Needed?? Thailand/Cambodia/Beijing
- 8 Bali - 1st Time Visit - Help with Itinerary
- 9 2 nights Phuket - What beach to stay on?
- 10 Impressions of India
- 11 First time backpacking - 5 weeks in Vietnam, Lao, Cambodia, and Thailand
- 12 Tokyo hotel help
- 13 Japan Help-Ryokan or no?
- 14 sri lanka two places, two hotels
- 15 Best place for a solo traveler to find a travel partner
- 16 Phone calls to UK from Japan
- 17 Overland Travel Chiang Mai to Manipur
- 18 How much Yen?
- 19 Any suggestions for travel agents for Taiwan?
- 20 South Korea for Chuseok
- 21 Googling to going...to Gujarat!
- 22 Bhutan... Have You Been
- 23 Getting Yourself Around Beijing
- 24 Bhutan travel operator and number of days
- 25 Bali - What to do?