I will be in Myanmar for 2 weeks in December on a guided tour with a friend. Then I'll be solo. I'll be taking a lot of flights/covering a lot of territory on the tour. After the trip I have some extra vacation time and I want to go somewhere I can park myself for a little while and take in the days at a somewhat leisurely pace and enjoy walking around. I've been to Luang Prabang (which I adored) and figure I'll save Angkor Wat for another trip. Been to Bali recently and have spent a little time in Vietnam. So I zeroed in on Chaing Mai. I've read through the archives and also another forum - I know some love it-finding it quaint, charming, with a great art scene and say 2 weeks is not enough. Others are not so enamored. My Myanmar trip ends Dec 20-The. I have about 10-11 days to explore.I now realize this is high season so I know I have to book very soon Availability might inform my decisions. I'd like mix of guided tours and city exploration on my own. I'm thinking of doing a day/night at the silent meditation retreat in Chaing Mai, which is Tues-Wed. My instinct is telling me to do it when I arrive in CM rather than at the end of my trip.
Has anyone gone to this retreat?
Should I consider Chaing Rai (or somewhere else) - or stay the entire time in Chaing Mai?
I could go from Yangon to Chaing Rai, - I would only have Sun afternoon and all day Monday. Then I guess I'd need to leave early Tues in order to be at the CM retreat by 1PM Tues. My budget is pretty flexible and I don't mind paying for nice experiences and accommodations. I like joining day group trips since I'm on my own but private guide is fine too. I want to do the half day Elephant preserve (the eco one with no riding)- some of the temples (I may have a little temple fatigue but I'll definitely want to see some).I live in a big city and love cities - so beach is not high on my list. Been to Bangkok once--to major sites. Any suggestions are most appreciated. Thanks.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Japan itinerary advice
- 2 Trip Report : China
- 3 Japan GTG, early April
- 4 Other than Kyoto?
- 5 Need help with Sri Lanka itinerary and hotels
- 6 Staying in Chaoyang, XiCheng or Dongsheng - Beijing
- 7 Goodbye, Carol Simpson
- 8 Confusion with LTE data with a Verizon iPhone 6 Plus
- 9 Hotels near Takefu Train Station
- 10 Honest opinion needed about Thailand
- 11 Quickie Kathmandu visit worthwhile?
- 12 Vietnam for 14 days help to find travel company
- 13 Japan: 34 days becomes 12 (or 17)
- 14 Narita Airport to Shinjuku
- 15 Beijing tours
- 16 Planning First Family Trip to Japan - Advice Needed!
- 17 Advice needed from Japan train pros
- 18 Pandaw-up the Chindwin TR
- 19 HK to Beijing for 3 weeks- mid March to early April- itinerary help please!
- 20 A great trip in India
- 21 Googling to going...to Gujarat!
- 22 Hong Kong and Angkor Wat
- 23 A Netflix series for those who enjoy Tokyo
- 24 Cherry Blossom season Mount Fuji area
- 25 Tokyo - Kamakura - Yokohama