I will be in Myanmar for 2 weeks in December on a guided tour with a friend. Then I'll be solo. I'll be taking a lot of flights/covering a lot of territory on the tour. After the trip I have some extra vacation time and I want to go somewhere I can park myself for a little while and take in the days at a somewhat leisurely pace and enjoy walking around. I've been to Luang Prabang (which I adored) and figure I'll save Angkor Wat for another trip. Been to Bali recently and have spent a little time in Vietnam. So I zeroed in on Chaing Mai. I've read through the archives and also another forum - I know some love it-finding it quaint, charming, with a great art scene and say 2 weeks is not enough. Others are not so enamored. My Myanmar trip ends Dec 20-The. I have about 10-11 days to explore.I now realize this is high season so I know I have to book very soon Availability might inform my decisions. I'd like mix of guided tours and city exploration on my own. I'm thinking of doing a day/night at the silent meditation retreat in Chaing Mai, which is Tues-Wed. My instinct is telling me to do it when I arrive in CM rather than at the end of my trip.
Has anyone gone to this retreat?
Should I consider Chaing Rai (or somewhere else) - or stay the entire time in Chaing Mai?
I could go from Yangon to Chaing Rai, - I would only have Sun afternoon and all day Monday. Then I guess I'd need to leave early Tues in order to be at the CM retreat by 1PM Tues. My budget is pretty flexible and I don't mind paying for nice experiences and accommodations. I like joining day group trips since I'm on my own but private guide is fine too. I want to do the half day Elephant preserve (the eco one with no riding)- some of the temples (I may have a little temple fatigue but I'll definitely want to see some).I live in a big city and love cities - so beach is not high on my list. Been to Bangkok once--to major sites. Any suggestions are most appreciated. Thanks.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 The Mystic East - a tale of hot food, hot weather, airmiles and imodium.
- 2 Gang rape in India. Again.
- 3 Is it Lao or Laos
- 4 best singapore hotel
- 5 Dong Van - Ha Giang
- 6 Chiang Mai hotel with sweet attentive staff
- 7 Help - India take 2
- 8 3 weeks: solo travel to Thailand (with stop in Hong Kong and Tokyo)?
- 9 12 x Day Itinerary- Please give me your feedback
- 10 is this a good travel plan?
- 11 CNX late arrival?
- 12 currency conversion
- 13 50th Anniversary trip
- 14 First time in India and Nepal-HELP
- 15 US Citizen Vietnam Visa Help!
- 16 Trip Report: Pandaw’s cruise down the Mekong from China to Laos
- 17 Vietnam - Sa Pa
- 18 The truth about elephant tourism
- 19 Help w/Andaman Sea Itinerary
- 20 Do I need the rabies jab for bali?
- 21 20 things to think about when interacting with animals in Thailand
- 22 Article on assistance for US citizens with difficulties abroad
- 23 Advice for treks/Peak climbing in ladakh end of June
- 24 6 nights / 5 days Japan itinerary
- 25 Phenom Penh